TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Hi, everyone - new to AK but have been lurking for awhile now reading up on the TI chip amps.

I've gotten through a great deal of the TPA 3116 vs the tripaths thread, but I'm not sure if anyone has reported on this TPA3116 mono active subwoofer board:

View attachment 896750

The left knob adjusts the crossover frequency and the right knob controls the volume.

I've been using this to power a 10" Pioneer dual voice coil car sub that's under my computer desk.

Been running at 2 ohms using a 24V laptop power supply for a couple of months now and it is working great!

I got mine on the bay for less than $15 shipped - here's some more info about it...

Specifications:
Board Size: 55 x 83 x 29mm (not including potentiometers projecting 15mm)
Operating Voltage: DC 12-24V
Frequency Response: input 20Hz-20KHz
Low Pass Crossover: 20Hz-180Hz adjustable
Audio Input Sensitivity: 500mV
Loudspeaker Impedance: 2-8 ohm
Output Power: 19V: 24W (8 ohm) / 48W (4 ohm) / 60W (3 ohm) / 75W (2 ohm)

I went ahead and installed it in a low cost aluminum project box:

View attachment 896784

View attachment 896785

In my setup I also have a Breeze Audio TPA3116 running Dayton B652-AIR bookshelf speakers - these really are wonderful sounding little amps!

Just ordered one so is the volume control also on/off? thanks

Just tried it on my account, seems it ran out at the end of March. Not aware of another coupon code.
I was afraid of that. I have the tpa3250 but wanted to try the 3251. 50% off was a great deal. . I'll likely give the 3eaudio version a try. Thanks for getting the word out about these amps. :thumbsup:

Just ordered one so is the volume control also on/off? thanks

Sorry, the volume knob does not have a power switch... I considered adding a switch to the front of the enclosure, but I already use a power strip with lighted individual on-off switches to shut off the power supplies of amps that aren't being used.

31Ay4QmTFpL.jpg

These power cord extenders are great to have on hand, too... for shorter power supply cables or so that "wall wart" type power supplies don't have to be plugged directly to the power strip, covering another outlet

71h+r6pdNfL._SL1500_.jpg

Cool. I think it should perform pretty well with those high efficiency speakers you run.

I plan to try the mono sub TPA3116 amp with two 15 inch Eminence Alpha woofers paralleled in open baffles. The Alphas are around 93 dbs and I currently drive them with a 100 watt plate amp which takes lots of space on my rack. I'm hoping for increased bass fidelity with the TPA.

I plan to try the mono sub TPA3116 amp with two 15 inch Eminence Alpha woofers paralleled in open baffles. The Alphas are around 93 dbs and I currently drive them with a 100 watt plate amp which takes lots of space on my rack. I'm hoping for increased bass fidelity with the TPA.

Looking forward to hearing about how it works out in your setup. If you typically listen at moderate volume levels and are not looking for ground shaking bass, I think you will be pleased. This little subwoofer amp doesn't has enough headroom for live concert level volumes, or for a full size home theater where it is desirable to "feel" the impact of LFE sound effects. But it works great for my near field computer audio system.

Looking forward to hearing about how it works out in your setup. If you typically listen at moderate volume levels and are not looking for ground shaking bass, I think you will be pleased. This little subwoofer amp doesn't has enough headroom for live concert level volumes, or for a full size home theater where it is desirable to "feel" the impact of LFE sound effects. But it works great for my near field computer audio system.

I primarily listen to acoustic jazz at low levels so no need for visceral bass. I do augment the OB woofers with two bucket subs.

Not much of an output filter with that one ?

Nor a heatsink!. In that application a TPA3118 would be more appropriate, as it's pad down, using the PCB (such as it is) as a heatsink. Those pictures even show a thermoadhesive pad on top of the IC, ready for HS attachment!

Back
Top Bottom