TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

One of the cycles of "Mode" produces static. That's the one! I didn't realize it either until I heard the noise and double checked the ad.

Cycle stations by pressing the next button on the remote. Long press is scan. At some point it did a whole scan, bouncing through stations. I cycled through the modes and when I got back to FM, it had memorized the stations. Now a single click of "next" brings up the next memorized station.

Not bad for $10!

Ah Ha! I, too, failed to realize the FM capabilities. Great catch :thumbsup:
Like Raynald, I find the "voice" incredibly annoying and would love to silence it.

Ironically, I just purchased JBU Wireless Headphones from Amazon on sale for $21 shipped.
The controls are located on the headphones but closely replicate the functions of the remote for the blue-tooth amp board.
It has FM, TF slot, and Bluetooth with the same Chinese voice. However, it also has mini-jack input and USB port that is used for charging battery.
The lack of external antenna makes the FM useless since I can only receive varying strengths of static. Of course, I didn't buy it for FM.

Hope I not wandering too far off thrust of the thread but the headphone comparison was striking :)

Roger

Ah Ha! I, too, failed to realize the FM capabilities. Great catch :thumbsup:
Like Raynald, I find the "voice" incredibly annoying and would love to silence it.

Ironically, I just purchased JBU Wireless Headphones from Amazon on sale for $21 shipped.
The controls are located on the headphones but closely replicate the functions of the remote for the blue-tooth amp board.
It has FM, TF slot, and Bluetooth with the same Chinese voice. However, it also has mini-jack input and USB port that is used for charging battery.
The lack of external antenna makes the FM useless since I can only receive varying strengths of static. Of course, I didn't buy it for FM.

Hope I not wandering too far off thrust of the thread but the headphone comparison was striking :)

Roger

Wow, lots of tech for little $. What sort of files will they play, do they do FLAC?

Wow, lots of tech for little $. What sort of files will they play, do they do FLAC?

Good question. I tried FLAC files with headphones via a TF card without success. I will try FLAC on TF for the amp board next and then test other formats on headphones. FLAC does work on USB stick for amp board. I need to snag my wife's laptop as it is the only device we have to write/copy to TF card.

My 8-track amp is finished for now. I glued some recycled speaker cloth over the flap. It allows remote function, but only from certain angles. The IR bit could be desoldered and moved; maybe another day. USB and TF functions are lost, but a USB extension cord could be run out the back. Again, maybe another day. I installed some cheapo Chinese binding posts out of the rear vents.

For now, I'm happy with Bluetooth and FM radio!

20170423_154341.jpg

Here's a pic of the inside. Not much going on except the FM antenna and a boatload of hot glue!
I added a slab of wood to the inside of the cabinet for weight and put some stick-on vinyl feet on the bottom to keep it from sliding around.

20170423_135605.jpg

Last edited:
excellent!

Love seeing examples of "up cycling" which means the new item or device is superior to the one it replaced but uses some of the original components.

It turns out there are at least two slightly different versions of this board. Mine has the Bluetooth microphone which must be mounted over the FM antenna holes. Probably the same board, just a matter of how it is populated. Mine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TPA3116-50w...773405?hash=item2a76346bdd:g:KloAAOSwux5YPqYv

When I cycle "Mode" if nothing is inserted in the TF or USB slots I just keep getting "The Voice" which means it does not have the FM mode. I should pick one of the FM ready boards to play with, one is on sale now, save over 50 cents! (but only if you buy 2)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TPA3116-50W...133362?hash=item5d6f0dcab2:g:1FIAAOSwOgdY0OWY

Last week I received a TPA3116 mono sub amp from China and now it's up and running. Used a 24v 3amp power brick which resides inside the case. Just a quick test with a 15 inch Eminence Alpha woofer sounds very promising.

P1010001.jpg

I used a slow blow fuse and the toggle switch for on/off. The volume pot is on the right and the crossover is to the left and both were slightly pigeon toed so I had to mount the amp a little off center to get everything to line up.

If you're wondering about the case it's actually a deep dish picture frame from Ikea. The lattice top I found in the lighting section at Home Depot. I've used it before to add ventilation to a shelf mounted tube amp.

P1010008.jpg

Last edited:
Seems kinda strange to only have a single pair of speaker terminals but it's a mono amp. When I connect it to two woofers ( 8 ohms each ) in parallel it should make even more power into a 4 ohm load.

P1010004.jpg

It turns out there are at least two slightly different versions of this board. Mine has the Bluetooth microphone which must be mounted over the FM antenna holes. Probably the same board, just a matter of how it is populated. Mine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TPA3116-50w...773405?hash=item2a76346bdd:g:KloAAOSwux5YPqYv

When I cycle "Mode" if nothing is inserted in the TF or USB slots I just keep getting "The Voice" which means it does not have the FM mode. I should pick one of the FM ready boards to play with, one is on sale now, save over 50 cents! (but only if you buy 2)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TPA3116-50W...133362?hash=item5d6f0dcab2:g:1FIAAOSwOgdY0OWY

Thanks, Raynald. My Sanwu is like yours with the FM hole occupied by another component.
I also checked my headphone TF slot and found the only format it will play is MP3.

Last week I received a TPA3116 mono sub amp from China and now it's up and running. Used a 24v 3amp power brick which resides inside the case. Just a quick test with a 15 inch Eminence Alpha woofer sounds very promising.

P1010001.jpg

That looks like it means business! Very cool looking enclosure... any hum or interference from the power brick being in close proximity to the board?

Thanks, Raynald. My Sanwu is like yours with the FM hole occupied by another component.
I also checked my headphone TF slot and found the only format it will play is MP3.

FLAC support seems a bit random. I picked up a BT/TF/USB player/FM transmitter for the car and it plays FLAC on USB with no problem yet many other very similar models claim MP3 only. Maybe there are a couple of different chips out there that form the basis of these car/home appliances and one does FLAC, the other not?

That looks like it means business! Very cool looking enclosure... any hum or interference from the power brick being in close proximity to the board?

Not at all. I hate those big power supplies hanging off the back of the amp. I have three TPA3116 amps with on board SMPS and there's no issue with any of them.

I will have to grab some larger cases and try it... although I do like the look of the "mini" sized amps for my computer desk system

Seems kinda strange to only have a single pair of speaker terminals but it's a mono amp. When I connect it to two woofers ( 8 ohms each ) in parallel it should make even more power into a 4 ohm load.

P1010004.jpg

How does it do with the bucket subs? Which amp did you buy?

With a big grin on my face I'm listening to the sub amp drive the H-frame woofers you see in this picture. Really plentiful bass and tighter than the Yung Plate amp, actually a different sound than I'm used to. The tiny knobs are hard to adjust as a hair movement in one direction or another can make a big difference. The amps on the floor in this older photo are Dayton APA150's and it took two to equal the power I'm getting from this single TPA. I'm not going to gush over the sub amp just yet. I need more time but so far I'm impressed.

P6030007.jpg

Back
Top Bottom