TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Well a canadian guy switched from icepower 50asx to 100as's for his diy speakerproject, I don't think it was because he couldn't source 50asx, but I really don't know, maybe 50asx is unobtanium to/for him.

I've jut bought some of these 50asx2's in the UK for £17.50 ($23.00 US) plus postage and apparently they are bridgeable to BGT 170 Watts and of course they have their own integral power supply, I'm quite looking forward to hearing them.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=192849&page=4

Last edited:
You can adjust Astron to 32V internally.
35A is max you can get from Astron.

32v is good the board asks for 39v. I think someone else was running the same on 28v with good results. It's a big g power supply and likely over kill, but if I can fit the board inside will be a nice amp.

I also bought two 50asx boards there, seller is good, boards received are new. Befor connecting power check voltage setting and read a little about them. 50asx was entrylevel icepower till they introduced the simpler and cheaper 100as(3251). 50asx has the second feedbackloop that includes the outputfilter, post filter feedback (pffb), it corrects or tries to correct the LC(+speaker) behavior. TI3251evm+100as standard do not have that pffb, so most times 50asx will sound different "family" than audiobah tpa3116 eg or 3eaudio tpa3251 or icepower 100as or any simpler amplifier with similar LC filter. Peaking and ringing of outputfilter is limited with 50asx.

Realistically ? Would that be feeding the ampboards with sinewave signal and look at the scope to see at which point clipping starts (or read digitall equivalent set at 1% THD) ? And look if the ampboard can put out that amplified sinewave signal for 30 minutes or an hour into a 8 ohm resistor ? That continuous outputpower for 3eaudio's 3250 board into 8 ohm is given 2x50W for the given maximum PSU voltage 30V (ampboard bulkcapacitors are 35V). For minimum PSU voltage as specced by 3eaudio as 18V that power would be 2x20W. These poweroutputs would be same for 3251/55 if the minimum voltage 18V would be enough for 3eaudio 3251/55, 3eaudio suggests those need at least 24V, with 24V PSU outputpower of all boards is 2x30W.
Max recommended voltage for 3eaudio 3251 is given 36V (bulkcapacitors are 50V, the 36V is recommended TI "chip"voltage, no 3eaudio added limit) For 36V PSU outputpower would be around 2x75W for both 3251/55.
3255 max recommended voltage for 3eaudio board is given 51V, from a 51V PSU poweroutput would be around 2x150W for the 3255 board.

All sinewave, continuous. Maximum power is twice the continuous rating, that would be more like music power, but continuous power is better comparable with home audio gear. From a 100 watt PSU you can't get 2x50W continuous output, so PSU is not just voltage. Most PSU ratings are more like caraudio, highest posible outputs, serious PSU have more conservative powerratings. For example a 35A Astron PSU would be 10 or 12A rated by company more conservative than Astron.

For audio listening you probably will use 1 watt with ~10 times that in short peak. Tube amp can probably do that too.

Well my interest has been piqued.

An TPA3250D2EVM is on the way from TI.
Also found a 50asx2 locally and bought that as well.

Just searching for a power supply now and am open to suggestions.
I've been looking at adjustable regulated power supplies.
Has anyone had experience with these?
Are they at all suitable?

Something like this perhaps:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LETOUR-DC-Re...451736?hash=item4d5c812e98:g:JcUAAOSwi8VZQeUJ
(No affiliation)

Or maybe there is an inexpensive good quality board from china that could be recommended.

Art

Got a TPA3255EVM on the way myself. Not sure what I will end up doing with it, need to read up more, but it was good price.

Lately I have been into IRS2092 amps - which simply blow away any 3116 with higher output power and bass slam. There is no comparison. Not sure about the newer TI stuff yet, and what it can do.

Key to all these little class D guys is power supply, and that is where most money should be spent.

Key to all these little class D guys is power supply, and that is where most money should be spent.

How very true. I went through nearly 100 different switching power supplies before I found an excellent one (I work in IT at a college. We have a box full of old laptop bricks... I went through every single one to find a good one. Seems the older the PS, often the better the sound). Whenever I demo my setup though, I use my big bertha LPS. Pyramid PS dialed up to 14v, can dump up to 20amps (i believe) if needed. Plus, I had put in a bunch of Silmic and Nichicon caps in it instead of the mystery meat that was in there. Definite improvement in sound, and I bet the PS will last longer as well.

Powersupply traditionally is most expensive part of any amplifier. Well designed tpa ampboards might be a little less picky, but the PSU is very important.
Because bass was mentioned, again gmarsh Wiener 3118 has more bass output than 3eaudio 3251.
The 3128 ampboard I listened to also has less quantity bass than Wiener 3118, but does appear to have more powerfull slam. More rolling thunder through livingroom with Wiener, but initial "attack" "energy" 3128 is more like a 2092/irfi4212 amplifier. Optimising ampboard powersupply layout like the Wiener, probably increases bass output 3128 too. gmarsh should put 3128 on new made pcb's imho, just like the volt could be upgraded like that, however allo less likely to source 3128 as cheap as 3118 in china/india, for gmarsh the 3128 chip has same price as 3118 chip (digikey/mouser)

Well my interest has been piqued.

An TPA3250D2EVM is on the way from TI.
Also found a 50asx2 locally and bought that as well.

Just searching for a power supply now and am open to suggestions.
I've been looking at adjustable regulated power supplies.
Has anyone had experience with these?
Are they at all suitable?

Something like this perhaps:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LETOUR-DC-Re...451736?hash=item4d5c812e98:g:JcUAAOSwi8VZQeUJ
(No affiliation)

Or maybe there is an inexpensive good quality board from china that could be recommended.

Art

Convenience vs. quality/price is the trade-off for those adjustables. That PS should be fine for testing but for dedicated use, the ripple/noise is probably high.
I like the connexelectronic smps supplies. Hifimediy might have the voltage you need and they ship faster than direct from connex.

Otherwise something like this Zero would be good for lower power needs.

Unlike classA or AB amplifiers, the linear powersupplies are becoming extinct, Trump may undo some laws and regulations, though I wouldn't bet on it here, not much jobs there, with current existing international laws and regulations they basically are forbidden already or we know at which date they will be forbidden. China upto now hasn't cared much, but I guess that the heavy polution in their cities and the opportunities offered by Trump's absence will have China move quickly in this regard to claim traditional US position.

Fortunately most silent, best audio supplies at the moment are already switching supplies, and even more industrial ones like Neurochrome used, behave quite well already with another simple LC filter added (yes a switching PSU is very similar to a classD amp)

A very good 100VA transformer designed for good efficiency is about 87% efficient (toroid). From Februari 2016 an entire external 100W powersupply sold in US needs to be 88% efficient, that includes all parts after the already 87% transformer... Hence impossible for linear. Exceptions for medical devices and some battery devices and powersupplies for products designed befor 2008. These existing old rules now also are in place for products consuming power, a powersupply integrated in amplifier for example. Below a august 2015 warning on digikey website. EU is not easier. Old smps's also can't reach these numbers, most on ebay are full of fake compliance markings.
https://www.digikey.com/en/articles...iciency-standards-for-external-power-supplies

Thank you everyone for your input and advice regarding power supplies.
Formerly completely uninformed about power supplies I'm now trying to read as much as I can to understand as much as I can.
It's a great learning experience.

connexelectronic has the SMPS300RS module that is available with 30V 8A output.
(no affiliation)
Half-bridge supply.
Voltage is adjustable +-10%.
8A is nominal peak is 12.
Matches TI's requirements for the TPA3250D2EVM (typical)

More Details here:
http://www.connexelectronic.com/documents/SMPS300R.pdf

SMPS300RS.JPG

Thank you again to everyone.

Art

edit: TI sheet says 12V is minimum.
So while waiting for the smps I may try the 3250 with an Astron that I have
Output from amp would be minimal, but I have some unused efficient vintage speakers that I can try.

Last edited:
Hey, everyone, a question. Just for grins I am getting a very cheap Lepai 2020A, just to compate the sound to my various SMSL amps and my personal TDA3116 amp builds. I was going to use my Pyramid PS-3KX power supply, which is 13.8v and 2.5 - 3.0 amps. Will the Lepai take that slightly higher volts/amps than their standard shipped wall-wart or would I blow the board? I think the back of the unit calls for 12v.

I sure wish there were more cheap but good linear 24v 5a power options to be had. I'm still relying on laptop switching supplies for the amps that need more voltage...

Back
Top Bottom