TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

^ It works, it's absurdly more powerful than I have any need for or capacity to use, and the build quality is leaps and bounds above the Chinese boards that we talk about mostly in this thread. I don't get into audio cork-sniffer type evaluations of gear (don't have the ears, or the inclination for it) but the guys on diyaudio who have ordered these pretty much all seem very happy with them.

I exchanged e-mails with Allo recently about the Volt Model D amp board, the one with a more conventional layout than the Volt +. They're still testing and
are now saying that it'll be some time in 2018.

I exchanged e-mails with Allo recently about the Volt Model D amp board, the one with a more conventional layout than the Volt +. They're still testing and
are now saying that it'll be some time in 2018.

Is that one the same as the Volt + but without the volume control?

I believe that's the new version. Supposed to be improved in just about every way, according to Allo.

I believe that's the new version. Supposed to be improved in just about every way, according to Allo.

Based on my love affair with the original Volt+ I'll be waiting on that new model. I can use my current linear regulated power supplies with it rather that having to spring for a costlier one if I went with the TPA3255.

Ive just discovered the Allo EU site...could someone describe simply the virtues of the Volt plus please,looks very interesting.

If you go back to about page 265 of this thread, there should be some discussion of the volt + http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/tpa-3116-vs-the-tripaths.574806/page-265
It's an excellent amp for high efficiency speakers or medium efficiency speakers in small rooms. It has lots of detail, it's very good harmonically, and it's very involving at low volumes. It's got many of the same virtues as the Tripath 2020, but it's much less voltage sensitive,
has roughly twice the output, and imo does what the 2020 does well a little better though the Volt+ can be a little harsh in the highs (I suspect this is because I listen to a lot of old jazz recordings. On 24/192 recordings, it's not a problem, so it could be that the Volt+ is simply reproducing what's on the recording) It's probably not for folks who want dynamics, extreme bass, or lots of sizzle, but I assume anyone who wants that shouldn't be looking at 20 watt/ch amps.
When all is said and done, I think it's the best choice of the ready made tpa 3116-3118 amps. If you want to modify one of the $15 or less boards, you may ultimately do better but it'll be for more money than the Volt + after caps, coils, etc. and after several hours of fiddling.

I asked Allo about the guesstimated price of the new Volt+D -- about $150...

Sadly, that prices it right out of my financial ability. The TI EVM boards are looking much better now, at half price ($75).

I'm a big fan of the Volt+ as well. 20 watts is fine for 99% of my needs.
$150 for the D version does seem awfully high.

One of the TI boards is supposedly in the mail.

Last edited:
Can't imagine the new Volt will be priced that high.

Much more expensive than any of their other products and in this competitive market I doubt it will sell well.

Allo follows this forum so I hope they're reading this.

When you can now get a pre-built TPA3116 for $30 or a TPA3250 for $60 with power supply and shipped, I can't imagine a bare board going for that much.

By the way, has anyone ordered that TPA3250 yet?

When you can now get a pre-built TPA3116 for $30 or a TPA3250 for $60 with power supply and shipped, I can't imagine a bare board going for that much.

I didn't, but I did get the TI TPA3255 evaluation module. I adore my TPA311X amps, but can't see going back to them after using the TPA3255 with a Mean Well LRS-350-48 power supply. All together I'm in for ~$105 on this setup. There is absolutely no background hiss at all with this combination and it has more than enough power to run any of my speakers with authority. One consistent issue I've had with all of my TPA311x boards is background hiss, no matter the board or power supply. And I've used both linear (Astron) and switching power supplies. Certainly some boards are worse offenders than others. My latest dual TPA3116 isn't bad with regard to background hiss, but the noise floor is not nearly as good as the TPA3255.

Again, I really, really like the TPA3116/8, but the truth is the TPA3255 just sounds better to my ears. Of course, there will always be something newer and 'better' on the horizon. YMMV.

I'm going to assume background hiss on the TPA311x boards are a result of gain set too high. It seems common these have gain set 30db or higher. I've eliminated background hiss on my breeze audio single, and dual chip tpa3116 by doing the gain mod on both, and adjusting gain down to 20db.

I ordered the FX Audio TPA3250 assembled amplifier on ebay. I had ordered a dual TPA3116 assembly, but it never arrived, and the new amplifier appeared on ebay while I was waiting. Always something new on the horizon. I only have an older YJ TPA3116 (with a little hiss, I think from the potentiometer) to compare to the TPA3250, but I'll post my impressions when I get some listening in.

I am really tempted by the FX Audio FX502SPRO TPA3250 amp with PS for $60. Please let us know how it sounds!

Does anyone know how the TPA3250 compares to other TPA325x boards, like the TPA3255?

I didn't, but I did get the TI TPA3255 evaluation module. I adore my TPA311X amps, but can't see going back to them after using the TPA3255 with a Mean Well LRS-350-48 power supply. All together I'm in for ~$105 on this setup. There is absolutely no background hiss at all with this combination and it has more than enough power to run any of my speakers with authority. One consistent issue I've had with all of my TPA311x boards is background hiss, no matter the board or power supply. And I've used both linear (Astron) and switching power supplies. Certainly some boards are worse offenders than others. My latest dual TPA3116 isn't bad with regard to background hiss, but the noise floor is not nearly as good as the TPA3255.

Again, I really, really like the TPA3116/8, but the truth is the TPA3255 just sounds better to my ears. Of course, there will always be something newer and 'better' on the horizon. YMMV.

Interesting, my 3116 with SainSmart two tube preamp...no hiss.

Back
Top Bottom