TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

The shock of the "new"....when i first discovered the original T-amp i was quite stunned.Through Tannoy 111/LZ s that little plastic thing opened my ears to many pieces i thought i knew.
Fast forward and after playing around with many amps,ive concluded that what they seem to lack is the "warmth"i experience from valve amplification and even my ancient Trio receiver.
l still use them frequently,its interesting to switch from them to a different system and try to define the differences.When i buy something new,i begin with the 3116 then move to Audion amp and then the Trio.
CD/TT remains the same.....just my few cents...

Last edited:
If you havent already (and if applicable), try routing the signal lines away from the top of the amp. Away from any air cored inductors etc. See if that helps. The pic was for a quick troubleshoot.
Some switched mode supplies that i've used previously gave off alot of noise. I'm inclined to think that the certification logos on the product listings dont hold alot of weight for these. Next to all of the 12v switched mode supplies, The linear supply made a positive difference to the 3116 / 8.
If the 7297 board is an ebay one, I'm not too sure how much supply voltage it can take. The Folsom board (with a retail chip) seems to play very well at > 12v.
I haven't had time to take a picture. When I set up the 3116 or the 3110, I tried a few different wall worts, including a laptop charger. Inhave also tried different cables for input With volume all the way down on my preamp, there is hiss from the speakers. I know the Khorns are sensitive. I also listen sitting fairly close due to the room arrangement. With the 7297, I get less hiss, it's not as distracting.

With my little 3116 I have used a 20 volt 8 amp HP laptop charger and it appears clean from my first chip amp, the Lepy, to the Breeze that just arrived. I also like that the plug has an LED on it so you know it is hot.

anyone tried this Musical Paradise amp? http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=75
It uses a TPA 3116D2. I had the MP 6L6 tube amp and was impressed with it. http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=54
their rap is designed in canada and built in china.

that MP-303 is tempting. wondered how they get it to 50wpc but tube front end is probably answer. read some nice reviews re the 5670...
see this one: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/176846-5670.html

anyone tried this Musical Paradise amp? http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=75
It uses a TPA 3116D2. I had the MP 6L6 tube amp and was impressed with it. http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=54
their rap is designed in canada and built in china.

that MP-303 is tempting. wondered how they get it to 50wpc but tube front end is probably answer. read some nice reviews re the 5670...
see this one: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/176846-5670.html

I'm no expert by any stretch, but I bet that big ol' torroidal transformer has something to do with it.
Is that one of those military grade JAN tubes from GE do you think? I've got a Sainsmart pre with Chinese 6N3 tubes and was wondering about the GE 5670 tubes.

After having build a few of the 3116 amps, the higher cost of something like that Musical Paradise doesn't seem so crazy anymore. Nice case, power issues worked out, DAC and preamp all in one..... Looks good to me!

Another, "no expert" . . . but I have tried the GE5670s in a Yuan Jing 3-tube preamp and thought it sounded less bright.
I also tried Russian 6H3N-EB. They were better than original Chinese 6N3 tubes but not the GEs.

Roger

For the past several days I've been listening to both Texas Instruments TPA 3250 EV module and the Volt+ [TPA 3118].
It's the first time I've had chip amps hooked to anything other than my computer/office system.

I doubt anything I have to say contributes much to the 3250 vs 3116/8 discussion.
Mainly for my own reasons, I'm just comparing the two different amps.

Initially, I used the same 24V 10A power supply [adjusted down to 23V 8A] on both units.
However, the connection to the Volt+ was on the sketchy side, so after awhile I went back to using a 19V 7A laptop brick.
Despite the less powerful supply, I don't think it appreciably changed the sound of the Volt+.
I didn't directly A/B the amps, instead I listened to one for awhile, maybe a couple of hours or so at a time, then switched to the other.

I am a little surprised that these amps sound so different to me.
Even with the same power source, the EV module has more authority than the Volt+.
More detail, stronger bass, broader dynamic range, stronger dynamics in general.

The Volt+ sounds slightly thinner, even "veiled" by comparison.
But...it's actually the warmer and perhaps the more musical of the two.
I personally find it very easy to listen to.
After dark, volume down, whiskey in hand...the Volt+ has the sound I want to hear.

Hooked to my full-range single-driver QW/TL's [96db driver, probably 92db in the box], the Volt+ sounded quite good.
However, with the EV module in place, things got intense. A stunning combo.
Extremely detailed presentation. Thrilling, not clinical.
Nice to be reminded of why I've spent much of the last 13 years listening to these speakers.

I could definitely hear the difference between the two with other speakers as well.
Imo, some suited the Volt+ better than the EV module...and conversely, the EV module made others sing in a way the Volt+ couldn't.
In general, I'd say softer sounding models, perhaps with known limitations, sound sweet with the Volt+.
Speakers with more to give response-wise, benefited from the EV module.
Not that any speakers sounded even remotely bad with either amp.

A pleasant surprise was the way the bass response [of both amps] made it much easier to position certain "boomy bass monsters".....my QW/TLs and EPI 202s.
In particular, the TLs acted like total pussy cats even when pumping out some very deep reggae dub.
Whether one or the other amp has tighter bass, I couldn't really say, but as I mentioned above, the bass on the EV module is stronger, fuller sounding.
Probably just perceptual, but I did wonder at times if the EV module wasn't actually digging deeper.

Basically, I've no complaints with the EV module that probably won't be solved by further burn-in.
Would be nice if it mellowed out just a little bit more....but hopefully not too much.

So, I'm a fan of both amps.
The Volt+ has a nice "intimate" sound while still being detailed and tight.
Now that playtime is over, it's going back to work driving a pair of KLH Model 7s in my office....where the combo is much missed.

As for the EV module, once I get it boxed-up it's replacing my Sansui.
At the moment, I have no desire to go back to AB class SS amps.

The 24v 10A ps, seems to work fine for my needs, but I may end up using it with the Volt+.
In that case I'll get a 32V unit for the EV module, if for no other reason than I'm curious what it might do with more power.
Also, I'm gonna see if I can get a second half-priced unit out of TI.
Two of these suckers may be just-the-ticket.

Imo, the EV module is anything but a toy.
Of course, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
For the past several days I've been listening to both Texas Instruments TPA 3250 EV module and the Volt+ [TPA 3118].
It's the first time I've had chip amps hooked to anything other than my computer/office system.

I doubt anything I have to say contributes much to the 3250 vs 3116/8 discussion.
Mainly for my own reasons, I'm just comparing the two different amps.

Initially, I used the same 24V 10A power supply [adjusted down to 23V 8A] on both units.
However, the connection to the Volt+ was on the sketchy side, so after awhile I went back to using a 19V 7A laptop brick.
Despite the less powerful supply, I don't think it appreciably changed the sound of the Volt+.
I didn't directly A/B the amps, instead I listened to one for awhile, maybe a couple of hours or so at a time, then switched to the other.

I am a little surprised that these amps sound so different to me.
Even with the same power source, the EV module has more authority than the Volt+.
More detail, stronger bass, broader dynamic range, stronger dynamics in general.

The Volt+ sounds slightly thinner, even "veiled" by comparison.
But...it's actually the warmer and perhaps the more musical of the two.
I personally find it very easy to listen to.
After dark, volume down, whiskey in hand...the Volt+ has the sound I want to hear.

Hooked to my full-range single-driver QW/TL's [96db driver, probably 92db in the box], the Volt+ sounded quite good.
However, with the EV module in place, things got intense. A stunning combo.
Extremely detailed presentation. Thrilling, not clinical.
Nice to be reminded of why I've spent much of the last 13 years listening to these speakers.

I could definitely hear the difference between the two with other speakers as well.
Imo, some suited the Volt+ better than the EV module...and conversely, the EV module made others sing in a way the Volt+ couldn't.
In general, I'd say softer sounding models, perhaps with known limitations, sound sweet with the Volt+.
Speakers with more to give response-wise, benefited from the EV module.
Not that any speakers sounded even remotely bad with either amp.

A pleasant surprise was the way the bass response [of both amps] made it much easier to position certain "boomy bass monsters".....my QW/TLs and EPI 202s.
In particular, the TLs acted like total pussy cats even when pumping out some very deep reggae dub.
Whether one or the other amp has tighter bass, I couldn't really say, but as I mentioned above, the bass on the EV module is stronger, fuller sounding.
Probably just perceptual, but I did wonder at times if the EV module wasn't actually digging deeper.

Basically, I've no complaints with the EV module that probably won't be solved by further burn-in.
Would be nice if it mellowed out just a little bit more....but hopefully not too much.

So, I'm a fan of both amps.
The Volt+ has a nice "intimate" sound while still being detailed and tight.
Now that playtime is over, it's going back to work driving a pair of KLH Model 7s in my office....where the combo is much missed.

As for the EV module, once I get it boxed-up it's replacing my Sansui.
At the moment, I have no desire to go back AB class SS amps.

The 24v 10A ps, seems to work fine for my needs, but I may end up using it with the Volt+.
In that case I'll get a 32V unit for the EV module, if for no other reason than I'm curious what it might do with more power.
Also, I'm gonna see if I can get a second half-priced unit out of TI.
Two of these suckers may be just-the-ticket.

Imo, the EV module is anything but a toy.
Of course, your mileage may vary.

An interesting and quite thorough synopsis. However, at 24v the 3250 is only just waking up; with 32v I think you'll find the warmth that you're lacking...

45rpmspinner,

thanks for the review. i have both but have not done the comparison like you have done. i am certainly sold on the TPA 32xx sound. amazing bang for the buck.

i am running my EV board w/ 36 volts of battery power--very clean sound. i am looking for a good regulated power supply to use with the EV board; bought one from DIYaudio but it died after 5 minutes. gonna try to get it working.

Thanks for taking the time to compare and write up your thoughts. That's much appreciated. I've been interested the volt and almost forgot about the ev. Sounds really appealing to me right now though!

Another, "no expert" . . . but I have tried the GE5670s in a Yuan Jing 3-tube preamp and thought it sounded less bright.
I also tried Russian 6H3N-EB. They were better than original Chinese 6N3 tubes but not the GEs.

Roger

The Russian equivalent for the 6n3 is a 6n3p-ev. After upgrading to these Russians in my 3 tube Yuan Jing and 2 tube Sain Smart preamps I sold my GE's.

Looks wise I also prefer the taller Russians over the shorter GE's which barely protruded through the top of my enclosure.

P1160010.jpg

Back
Top Bottom