TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Yes, there are computer bricks which will likely work with the board, but the current available with those units is usually on the low side.....which limits the output wattage.
My point being....what's the point of buying a high wattage amp if you don't feed it enough power to realize it's potential?

According to specs, this amp can handle something like a 600 watt supply. That's max.
By comparison, a 48V 4A computer brick is essentially a 200 watt supply.

If I were you I might be looking at something more like this, a 480 watt supply.
https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Adjusta...d=1523450974&sr=8-3&keywords=48v+power+supply

To be sure, I've no experience with this particular power supply and thus can't specifically recommend it.
There are plenty of other 48V 10-13A supplies about which are similar.

Klipsch speakers are highly efficient and 300 watts is overkill. The TPA's are a better choice in terms of power and fidelity.

Klipsch speakers are highly efficient and 300 watts is overkill. The TPA's are a better choice in terms of power and fidelity.

I totally agree.
I was purposely avoiding the question of whether he actually needs that kind of power and commenting on the needed power supply alone.
It terms of the real world, yeah, a Volt+ or an FX502SPRO is the way to go.

You know, I've really no need for an amp powered by IRS2092 chips either, but that doesn't mean I don't occasionally consider buying one of the boards.
https://www.parts-express.com/sure-...250w-irs2092-class-d-amplifier-board--320-313

Last edited:
I don't recall it it is mechanically or electrically stepped, as switch point step. The J. Lindsey-Hood amp is presently on call in that system.
I think the volume control on the FX502SPRO would be considered mechanically stepped. The volume control is stepped, but you can stop inbetween the steps and the volume varies continuously. It's the one thing I find annoying about the amp.

@bubba42, thanks for the tip on the Aliexpress sale; used the chance to send one of the FX502SPRO amps to a friend.

You're welcome, beastwoo! I got a second FX502SPRO even though I didn't need it. I had replaced all my little amps (like TA2020) with TPA3116-based Breeze/Nobsound units. Now I'll replace one of the TPA3116 with a TPA3250.

I wonder what will be the next chip to give us a significant sound quality improvement. Any guesses? Next in the TPA line?

The dayton 100a, with the tripath 2050 sounds very good on my Quartets. The Breeze 3118 model sounds terrible, I think it's most likely the gain. Higher gain does not play nicely with the horns. I'm using a Musical Paradise tube amp now, 6.5 watts a channel and it sounds the best of my smaller amps. The Tripath slays it with rock solid bass output but the tubes have a more dimensional soundstage, the EL34 midrange most likely the cause I may pick up the new Allo though, it's hard to sit still with all of the new chips coming on board..

attachment.php

Sweet!

The Volt amp's power jack barrel is listed as 3.00mm ID ( .118" ) and 6.5mm OD ( .256" ). Can someone tell me what male plug fits?

Its looking good Poultrygeist! Would like to know your take on the board.
It seems yet again they have gone with an irregular sized DC connector. Maybe its for the current handling at high volume.

I only have the old Volt+ but hope to have the new version soon. I lifted this picture from another forum. All Volt amps use this odd plug. Can't recall what I used or where I found one.

Last edited:
Update, the Toppings TA60 and tube pre are sounding very good! I did some tube rolling in the pre but the original combo sounds best. Your right about overkill with the link I posted and I did order an FX502A Pro amp of the bay. I can then make a direct comparison between the 2 amps. I also have a Panasonic SA-XR50 receiver but it is strictly digital but I may give it a go too!

Can someone tell me what male plug fits?

Such a PITA. Really confused me when I got my Volt+.
Allo says it's the size of the male connector, but if anything it's closer to the size of the female connector [but even then it's wrong].
I don't have a micrometer handy, but I'm 99% sure, the actual male connector needed is 5.5mm od, 2.5mm id.

That is, if it's the same connector used on the original Volt+

Last edited:
Yep, checked the actual drawing of the connector.
It's 5.5mm x 2.5mm. A common size.

Maybe Allo is trying to make it sound odd-sized so they can sell more of the bricks they offer?
On the page linked below, they clearly state the male plug is 6.5mm x 3mm.
https://www.allo.com/sparky/19v-power-supply.html

Female connector is PJ-102B made by CUI Inc.
Nominally a 6.5mm [.256"] x 2.5mm [.098"] plug.

Obviously, 6.5mm x 3mm isn't correct for either male or female connector.

Last edited:
I am a fan of the volt+, found it to be a well voiced amp board. With the 2nd installment of the series, i'm expecting big things.

Update, the Toppings TA60 and tube pre are sounding very good! I did some tube rolling in the pre but the original combo sounds best. Your right about overkill with the link I posted and I did order an FX502A Pro amp of the bay. I can then make a direct comparison between the 2 amps. I also have a Panasonic SA-XR50 receiver but it is strictly digital but I may give it a go too!
The Panasonic sound very good, but the analog inputs do not. The best sound is coaxial. You don't need a dac in the chain as it does conversion at the inputs.

Such a PITA. Really confused me when I got my Volt+.
Allo says it's the size of the male connector, but if anything it's closer to the size of the female connector [but even then it's wrong].
I don't have a micrometer handy, but I'm 99% sure, the actual male connector needed is 5.5mm od, 2.5mm id.

That is, if it's the same connector used on the original Volt+

Thanks it should be the same for the new Volt+D since they'll use the same power brick.

I'll be looking for a right angle 5.5mm x 2.5mm male connector to pigtails which I have not found yet. I like these 18 gauge pigtails but they're 5.5 mm x 2.1 mm??. They would be ideal to connect the bare wire ends to my Astron's terminals.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BXB2Y...6cb-95c3-c3facc3caa88&hsa_cr_id=7486602770001

ebay plug adapters.jpg Ebay has sets of adapters from 5.5 X 2.1 to almost every plug size you can think of. I'll add a link if I can find a set. I do like those sets of pigtails though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Set-DC-5-...856327&hash=item465e62153c:g:MikAAOSwux5YUzoS

I got my set for less than item listed. I can think of 50 times I could have used these or one of those pigtails. Now, if I could just find the pigtail for the busted plug on my 2005 window sprayer pump. That is one of today's projects.

Last edited:
If anyone is looking for a 36V power supply for TPA 3250 or 3251 based amps, the Qualtek unit Parts Express has on a buyout special for $20 is worth checking out.
Only problem is that the [loud] fan runs all the time. Which is utterly ridiculous and only means there's no actual heat sensitive circuit in play.
What I did to solve the problem was pop the top and disconnect the fan altogether [super easy].

The fan on my very similar Meanwell branded 36V supply has never once come on.
I've been running the Qualtek for 3 days solid without the fan and it's running cooler than the Meanwell unit ever has.
Actually cooler than the TI EV boards I'm using it with.

Can't speak to longevity after 3 days, but for a unit which Parts Express says was originally listed for $150, it's worth consideration.

And you know, if running it without a fan is too anxiety provoking, one could always just mount a quieter fan.

Last edited:
In several years of playing, the fan on my Meanwell has never come on while driving a high power t-amp. I would definitely disconnect the fan on the Qualtek.

Here's what I use to quietly blow over my hot tube amps - a 4 inch HV fan from Walmart ( I think it cost all of $7 )

hqdefault.jpg

And you know, if running it without a fan is too anxiety provoking, one could always just mount a quieter fan.

Have mentioned this before, but the little Chinese USB fans available for peanuts are dead silent.

You don't need much air motion to keep an amp from overheating. Almost any will be enough.

Back
Top Bottom