TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Discussion in 'New Gear - Values' started by Poultrygeist, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Addicted Member

A USB fan may work ok for class d but won't move enough air to cool a hot running tube amp. I once had a Dynaco ST70 that put out as much heat as a space heater. I got rid of it as it was impossible to use during the summer months.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. GSS61

GSS61 Super Member

The FX502S PRO (TPA3250) that I ordered from AliExpress arrived today and I'm listening to it now - I swapped it out with my Breeze Audio TPA3116.

Early impression after a couple of hours is that it does sound similar to the TPA3116, but perhaps a bit smoother reproducing higher frequencies.

The brushes and cymbals on Bill Evans "Waltz For Debby" sound a tad better and little more real than I remember with the Breeze Audio...

I'll have to spend some more time with it, and switch back and forth with the 3116 for comparison, but so far this is a really nice sounding chip amp.

john111/LZ and bubba42 like this.
  3. bubba42

bubba42 Active Member

Very interesting, GSS61. I first noticed the much better bass, but you hear the treble. I think it is better across the entire range, but thought the bass was a larger gain, but perhaps that is just where I was listening more. Enjoy and share more!

john111/LZ and GSS61 like this.
  4. GSS61

GSS61 Super Member

I'm using mine in a computer desktop near field setup... Dayton B652 bookshelf speakers modified with silk soft dome tweeters and two-way crossovers, plus a separately powered 10" subwoofer under the desk.

The Daytons are running full range, but really don't have much output below 80 Hz or so... I'd probably need to hook these little amps to some decent size floor standers to notice the difference in their bass response LOL

john111/LZ and bubba42 like this.