TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I did a search on ebay and it seems all of sudden all tpa3116 boards come with bluetooth! I was hoping to buy something from Topping with tpa 3116, but they only did one model, with practically no info online.
Have anyone tried the Ti evalution board on Mouser which costs 170$?!

https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/TPA3116D2EVM?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtVeuWkqeJ8IMlM21ksU2b/

If you're set on a TPA3116, and willing to undertake a little DIY, then I'd recommend one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Assemble...W-green-pcb-/272186431669?hash=item3f5f9358b5

I have 2 in use, one subtly modified, but both work very well out of the box. An ALPS volume control pot and a 24v supply will get you going...

There is a 3rd Allo Volt amp which is often overlooked:

https://www.allo.com/sparky/volt-amp.html

If you're running a Raspberry Pi (with one of the many audio distributions like PcP, Moode, Rune, Volumio etc) and are using a Piano 2.1 or Boss DAC, this amp plugs right on top, with a 19/24v PSU, to give a very effective player (at a good price). You can control the volume from within the software, or you can add an external pot. Recommended!

It has been offered cheaper, shipped. PS is ca $15, some may already have a suitable candidate 19-24V/4A brick.
The FXPRO with brick at $68 shipped was a good deal and sounded good.

Spending crazy money on amps is silly. For the most p[art they all sound reasonably alike. Focus on speakers where the most pleasure is.View attachment 1244566

Yeah, spending crazy money on amps is silliness. I mean unless you are very well off financially or just want to show off or it's a status thing. But I disagree with you on how they sound reasonably the same. And yes, you said for the most part and reasonably but man I can attest to they certainly don't sound the same. I had my two channel and 5.1 channel system all in the same room. Would just switch out speaker cables between my two channel amp and Marantz avr. Well I recently took out the two channel set up and am running just my 5.1 channel Marantz and man, it's a mess when listening to two channel through the Marantz. Doesn't sound the same at all. Hard to believe that a little $69 digital amp trounces all over the Marantz. I need to get my two channel system up and running again.

We are for sure in agreement on speakers making the biggest impact on your system. They do and that's where I place my money and priorities.

Yeah, spending crazy money on amps is silliness. I mean unless you are very well off financially or just want to show off or it's a status thing. But I disagree with you on how they sound reasonably the same. And yes, you said for the most part and reasonably but man I can attest to they certainly don't sound the same. I had my two channel and 5.1 channel system all in the same room. Would just switch out speaker cables between my two channel amp and Marantz avr. Well I recently took out the two channel set up and am running just my 5.1 channel Marantz and man, it's a mess when listening to two channel through the Marantz. Doesn't sound the same at all. Hard to believe that a little $69 digital amp trounces all over the Marantz. I need to get my two channel system up and running again.

We are for sure in agreement on speakers making the biggest impact on your system. They do and that's where I place my money and priorities.

I have the same general experience, but my guess is the preamp section is making the biggest difference in sound here. I'm also a big believer in synergy between components. Sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, and vice versa.

For what it's worth, I've *mostly* settled in on using a TI TPA3255EV or an Onkyo M-504. But for fun and a little variety, I still play with a bunch of different amps and receivers, including TPA 3116s.

So often people forget the ultimate truth about stereo systems., what you listen to is the speakers not the myriad of electronics.

The speakers are ulimately the "voice" of a system, but also act as a "filter" as much as what preceeds them. It's cumulative.

Last edited:
I also find it strange when people say amplifiers sound the same, sometimes not even close..
You can even appreciate differently the music on different amp and speakers, some albums that never ticked for me, become music after changing the amp.
What I like about these chip amps is their sound at very low volumes, class AB sound dull at those volumes.
I wish I had found the perfect amp, but unfortunately I like the midrange of the tripath 2024, the highs of tubes, and rhythm of tpa3116, and the bass and dynamics of heavy weigh SS..

What I like about these chip amps is their sound at very low volumes, class AB sound dull at those volumes.
I wish I had found the perfect amp, but unfortunately I like the midrange of the tripath 2024, the highs of tubes, and rhythm of tpa3116, and the bass and dynamics of heavy weigh SS..

Funny, 'cause I think I get much better bass and dynamics out my TPA 325x based units than my A/B SS amps.
In fact, I'd say dramatically so.

Probably just my system, but that's the major reason why my SS amps have been retired for the last 8-9 months.
They sound muddy and boring compared to the Class D amps I'm running.

Funny, 'cause I think I get much better bass and dynamics out my TPA 325x based units than my A/B SS amps.
In fact, I'd say dramatically so.

Probably just my system, but that's the major reason why my SS amps have been retired for the last 8-9 months.
They sound muddy and boring compared to the Class D amps I'm running.

I share the same experience as you do with Class D. My Allo Volt Plus lights up my Zu's with dynamics and immediacy with punch you in the chest bass. Its exciting to listen to. I think it's a great combo for the Zu's. I want to front end it with Poultrygeists suggestion of the Sainsmart 6N3 tube pre amp and see what happens.

So Volt+ $69, Sainsmart 6N3 preamp $95. That's $164 for an amp and preamp of high quality fidelity. $164! Seriously. And I bet this combo can sound just as good as a high quality $1500 2 channel integrated amp.

So Volt+ $69, Sainsmart 6N3 preamp $95. That's $164 for an amp and preamp of high quality fidelity. $164! Seriously. And I bet this combo can sound just as good as a high quality $1500 2 channel integrated amp.

I too was initially impressed with the Sainsmart/Guanzo 6N3 preamp, modded along the lines of the large thread on this site (http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/say-hello-to-my-new-little-friend.306203/). However, in my setup it's performance was surpassed by one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stereo-T...N3-5670-6H3-/291643694133?hash=item43e7519c35

Although in the description it says no tube supplied, mine came with a tube. I also had a few tubes from rolling my Guanzo. For £8.85, plus £15 or so for a transformer (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toroidal...925109?hash=item462628e575:g:uZkAAOSw9N1Visfz) and you have a very nice preamp for little outlay.

Last edited:
I wouldn't change a single thing with my $35 Sainsmart. Paired with the original Volt+/Astron it's the chocolate syrup and nuts on top of a scoop of vanilla ice cream. When not driving the Volts I absolutely love what it does with a 4 tube APPJ/Miniwatt. I actually play it more than the Bottlehead Foreplay III. Warms up faster and gives me 90% of the Bottlehead's performance. I have a $$$ custom made Aric tube preamp which the lowly Sainsmart destroys. The problem I have with mods in general is the assumption that the original version was faulty and must need mods. And once the mods are made there's no way to compare it to the original version. Plus there's the huge expectation bias that the modded version will sound better. Adding a few better components is not always the answer as the original design did not take those into account. There are certainly mods that made a difference but I believe there are many that masquerade as improvements.

P1160005.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom