TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I'm currently listening to Sam Pilafian's tuba which sounds so incredibly rich and full through the bucket subs thanks to the Nobsound passive and Volt+D. When I turn the passive's volume off which controls the subs the music just falls flat on it's face.

81lEGl80gIL._SY355_.jpg

I'm currently listening to Sam Pilafian's tuba which sounds so incredibly rich and full through the bucket subs thanks to the Nobsound passive and Volt+D. When I turn the passive's volume off which controls the subs the music just falls flat on it's face.

81lEGl80gIL._SY355_.jpg

Can you go into a little more detail about this set up? Is the Sainsmart also in the mix?

If I have powered subs, I still use the volume control on the Nobsound?

Can you go into a little more detail about this set up? Is the Sainsmart also in the mix?

If I have powered subs, I still use the volume control on the Nobsound?

I'm enjoying this Nobsound passive preamp with the Volt at the moment. Not many days go by that I don't try something different. :) The Nobsound has two outputs and one is pass through which means there's no volume control upstream of the Volt when using that output and I like that. The second output is active and is controlled by the preamp's volume pot which I use to handle the volume of the bucket sub's amps.

Yes the Nobsound connected by RCA line levels from it's active output will control your sub's volume.

The Nobsound works equally well with the APPJ/MW as does the Sain Smart.

New-Nobsound-HiFi-Selector-Passive-Pre-Amplifier-3-IN-2-OUT-Audio-Preamp-A_14789315_6797d69a938324149269defdbfedd792_t.jpg

Last edited:
Want to add a subwoofer and more inputs to your TPA without spending much money?

Here's a $45 passive preamp which does a great job but mysteriously goes by several names. Mine is a Nobsound L. Passive Selector but it's also called a HiFi Selector and may even be labeled Douk. It has 3 inputs and two outputs.

The two outputs are unusual in that one is volume controlled while the other is pass through. I'm currently using the pass through output with my Volt+D which has it's own high quality volume pot while controlling the volume of two bucket subs with the Nobsound. You can do the reverse of this with good results as well. It's totally passive but it's selector switching is powered.

As with any good passive it adds nothing nor takes away anything from the sound.

New-Nobsound-HiFi-Selector-Passive-Pre-Amplifier-3-IN-2-OUT-Audio-Preamp-A_14789315_ad4e473af420fca5b4eca4480aa548a4.jpg

So Poultrygeist. This is a great choice if I have a cd player, record player and a streamer? And I can use this in conjunction with the Sainsmart pre and Volt+D? And use the 2nd set of pre-outs on the Passive selector for the subs?

I'm enjoying this Nobsound passive preamp with the Volt at the moment. Not many days go by that I don't try something different. :) The Nobsound has two outputs and one is pass through which means there's no volume control upstream of the Volt when using that output and I like that. The second output is active and is controlled by the preamp's volume pot which I use to handle the volume of the bucket sub's amps.

Yes the Nobsound connected by RCA line levels from it's active output will control your sub's volume.

The Nobsound works equally well with the APPJ/MW as does the Sain Smart.

So if this controls the volume/gain on my subs, where do I set my subs volume control at? Max????

New-Nobsound-HiFi-Selector-Passive-Pre-Amplifier-3-IN-2-OUT-Audio-Preamp-A_14789315_6797d69a938324149269defdbfedd792_t.jpg

So Poultrygeist. This is a great choice if I have a cd player, record player and a streamer? And I can use this in conjunction with the Sainsmart pre and Volt+D? And use the 2nd set of pre-outs on the Passive selector for the subs?

The Nobsound has 3 inputs so you can connect those 3 sources. But I'm sure you know you'll need a phono stage for the record player and that will plug into the Nobsound.

Can't use the Sain Smart with the Nobsound as they're both preamps. If you have both Volts you can use the Sain Smart with one and the Nobsound with the the other. That's what I do.

It makes more sense to use the Nobsound's pass through ( non volume controlled ) output with the Volt which has it's own volume pot and then control the sub's volume with the Nobsound's

potentiometer. I leave my sub's volume at half way and do fine adjustments with the Nobsound.

You'll need an RCA cable to connect the Nobsound to the sub's amp. I'm using one that's about 8 ft and there's no loss of signal.

81lEGl80gIL._SY355_.jpg

If you like tuba, check out some of the stuff recorded by Youngblood Brass Band.

Alright guys, I am shutting this thread down! LOL. There is a forum for music. I get excited when I see a post here, especially from Poultrygeist, so I think it is something new he discovered or news on a new TPA chip amp or something, and all I get is Tuba Skinny? LOL
I tried looking them up on Spotify, I got some playlist but nothing specific for this group. I always like being turned on to good new music! So just giving you a hard time. But seriously, anything new on the chip amp or Volt front?

$600 for a stereo pair ain't exactly chicken feed but they do look interesting
Looks like a good value for ICE switchmode monoblocks.
Yes, I know the pro class 'D' amps are more affordable and feature laden with more power out, but someone would have to comment on relative SQ between them.

Looks like a good value for ICE switchmode monoblocks.
Yes, I know the pro class 'D' amps are more affordable and feature laden with more power out, but someone would have to comment on relative SQ between them.

I've spent time with the Crown class D's. With efficient speakers the TPA's have better SQ. The Crown amps are an excellent choice for subs.

Back
Top Bottom