TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Can someone recommend a ready to use TPA amp. We just converted a little room (10x12) from a guest bedroom to more of a reading/sitting room. I am going to use a couple of bookshelf speakers and want a tiny little amp. The room is so small I don't want normal size components in it, and am afraid my wife will veto if I do.

Would Breeze this amp be OK? It sure is cheap enough.

The Nobsound Mini TPA3116 Audio HIFI 2.0 Channel is something else I have latched onto for no reason at all.

If there is an obvious choice for under $200 with power supply please let me know.
This is one;
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/315681-tpa3250-listening.html

More money is the Allo Volt+D, which will need a 24V 6A brick.
https://volumio.org/product/allo-volt-d/

Unfortunately, I don't see that the FX-Audio amp Pio1980 mentions is available anymore....at least through Amazon.
They have others, but not that one.
Too bad, it was reportedly a nice unit.

For your purposes, the Volt+ with attenuator might work as well.
Less expensive than the Volt+D.
It's also quite nice.
https://www.allo.com/sparky/volt-plus-stepped-attenuator.html

Just sayin'...but my wife thinks my Allo Volt+ amp is the cutest thing ever.
It's currently being used in her studio system.

Last edited:
The FX is available on the 'Bay, power brick separate.
The Allo Volt+ is a good similarly priced alternative, the +D is a doubled up version with more reserve power.

The FX is available on the 'Bay, power brick separate.
The Allo Volt+ is a good similarly priced alternative, the +D is a doubled up version with more reserve power.

That's cool, I didn't see the FX unit. I find their designations confusing.
Got a link?

Yeah, I'm a fan of TPA 3250. Even not having heard FX amp, I'd definitely give it a shot.

I picked up theFX502SPRO TPA3250 . It was $87 shipped. I am in no real rush to get it.

One of the things I like about these is it doesn't scream "stereo system!". We have enough "stereo system!" in the living room.

I picked up theFX502SPRO TPA3250 . It was $87 shipped. I am in no real rush to get it.

One of the things I like about these is it doesn't scream "stereo system!". We have enough "stereo system!" in the living room.
I have one, you won't be disappointed.

Hi folks,firstly,excuse my ignorance....my question is:can i use a 24 volt,3 amp power supply
which i have,with my VoltD+?
Presently im using the 19 volt brick from ALLO.
Thanks.
Id hate to destroy this sweet little amp!

According to TI specs below the 3118 can use psu's up to 26v.

http://www.ti.com/product/TPA3118D2

You can try your 24v but as others have said 19v seems to be the sweet spot ( most power with less distortion ).
I would think that the cap multiplier power conditioner built into the Volt+ series amps outputs whatever they think optimal if the input voltage is sufficient for the insertion loss, but that's an assumption.
I'd have a higher capacity brick, but the recommended one should be sufficient for most purposes.

Last edited:
For the first time in ages I'm listening to a system free of tubes. I love the fact that warm up with the Volt+D and passive pre is immediate. No waiting for tubes to warm up and on these hot summer days I don't miss the extra heat they generate. Come cooler weather I'll get back to listening to flea watt tube amps and pre's which are mandatory with the OB's.

On the Volt+D I'm trying to come up with a way to relocate the extra capacitance multiplier which is currently mounted to the top with stand off's.
For the first time in ages I'm listening to a system free of tubes. I love the fact that warm up with the Volt+D and passive pre is immediate. No waiting for tubes to warm up and on these hot summer days I don't miss the extra heat they generate. Come cooler weather I'll get back to listening to flea watt tube amps and pre's which are mandatory with the OB's.

On the Volt+D I'm trying to come up with a way to relocate the extra capacitance multiplier which is currently mounted to the top with stand off's.
Hello i'm new here. I have open baffles with Zeniths 49cz852 and single ended 845 monoblocks. I want to buy a Volt+D like alternative to the 845 triodes. What is your opinion? Thank you very much.

Attachments

• my system.jpg
    my system.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 27
Hello i'm new here. I have open baffles with Zeniths 49cz852 and single ended 845 monoblocks. I want to buy a Volt+D like alternative to the 845 triodes. What is your opinion? Thank you very much.

Miron,

Welcome to AK. Love those big Zeniths which as you know are very efficient. They should sound excellent with the +D and I'll trade you my +D for your 845's any day of the week. lol

In use the +D will seem less powerful than the 845's but plenty of power for the Zeniths. I'd be inclined to add efficient woofers to the bottom baffle and use both amps in that system.

Miron,

Welcome to AK. Love those big Zeniths which as you know are very efficient. They should sound excellent with the +D and I'll trade you my +D for your 845's any day of the week. lol

In use the +D will seem less powerful than the 845's but plenty of power for the Zeniths. I'd be inclined to add efficient woofers to the bottom baffle and use both amps in that system.
Thank you for your reply . My 845s are 16-18watts. How many "real" watts are the +D? Later I will buy a pair of woofers 12 inches or 15 Alpha (I prefer 12 because my room is not big).
Is it good idea the 12 inches? And Do I need two +D amps or one for the woofer?
You and Kevin are the reason that I bought the Zeniths. Very very good speaker but I want to do this complete with woofer. thank you again!!

Thank you for your reply . My 845s are 16-18watts. How many "real" watts are the +D? Later I will buy a pair of woofers 12 inches or 15 Alpha (I prefer 12 because my room is not big).
Is it good idea the 12 inches? And Do I need two +D amps or one for the woofer?
You and Kevin are the reason that I bought the Zeniths. Very very good speaker but I want to do this complete with woofer. thank you again!!

The 845's will play louder which is the case with soft clipping tube amps. One +D or the 845's will happily drive two 15 Alphas. You can try either combination to see which suits you. Run the Zeniths full range and bring in the Alphas to fill in the lows. Maybe Harrison Labs Fmods upstream of the amp driving the woofers. I think they filter at 70 or 80hz. A cheap active also works but I would not use it for the HF as the Zeniths need an unadulterated signal.

The 845's will play louder which is the case with soft clipping tube amps. One +D or the 845's will happily drive two 15 Alphas. You can try either combination to see which suits you. Run the Zeniths full range and bring in the Alphas to fill in the lows. Maybe Harrison Labs Fmods upstream of the amp driving the woofers. I think they filter at 70 or 80hz. A cheap active also works but I would not use it for the HF as the Zeniths need an unadulterated signal.
I think I will buy the +d amp and then the pair of Alphas. Is it OK 12 inches? or no?

Miron,

I would not buy the Alpha 12a as it's Qts is .77 compared to the 15a's Qts of 1.26. The higher the Qts the more air they move in free space and the more bass you get with open baffles.

Your current baffles are large enough for the Alpha 15a. For that sized room you can probably get by with one.

Back
Top Bottom