TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Does anyone know what chip the Klipsch PowerGate uses?
https://www.klipsch.com/products/powergate
Says class D, 2x50W into 8 ohms.

I am wondering because these can be had for $99 sometimes. It listed for $499. It comes with a DAC and network capability. If it had a great chip in it, it could be a solid amp. I'm very curious what is powering this am. Anyone know?

So I have been corresponding with a well known TPA chip amp builder that has been doing this for a long time and has made some real legit, quality stuff. I have owned one of his amps. And he is currently using the Allo Volt+ amplifier board for all of his TPA3118 offerings. He said it's a GREAT board. So those of us with the Volt are doing good. I asked him about the Volt+D, he told me that there is not going to be much if any sonic difference. He said I would be wasting my money for diminishing returns. Maybe if I needed more power but that would require a different power supply and that would defeat the purpose of this board as it works best with the 19v power supply. I guess that is the sweet spot. Just wanted to share.

With all that being said, if I didn't own one and was buying a Volt for the first time, it would be a no brainer to get the Volt+D.

I have a second system that I rotate stuff in and out of for testing and fooling around. I throw in the Volt+D from time to time and I always hook it up wrong. With every amp I’ve ever owned the speaker terminals on the left are for the left speaker and the ones on the right are for the right. With the Volt+D this isn’t the case. If you look at the board (at least on my example) the speaker outputs labeled left feed to the speaker connectors on the right and vice versa for the other side. I hook it up, sit down and the soundstage is reversed and I have to re connect. Drives me nuts. Are everyone else’s Volts wired this way?

I have a second system that I rotate stuff in and out of for testing and fooling around. I throw in the Volt+D from time to time and I always hook it up wrong. With every amp I’ve ever owned the speaker terminals on the left are for the left speaker and the ones on the right are for the right. With the Volt+D this isn’t the case. If you look at the board (at least on my example) the speaker outputs labeled left feed to the speaker connectors on the right and vice versa for the other side. I hook it up, sit down and the soundstage is reversed and I have to re connect. Drives me nuts. Are everyone else’s Volts wired this way?
Mine is too, it's not worth the bother to fix what isn't broke.

Are everyone else’s Volts wired this way?

Same here. I just have to remember to hook up the left speaker to the outputs on the right side, and the right speaker to the outputs on the left side. It is rather counterintuitive, but as long as I remember to hook it up correctly, it doesn't bother me.

My Volt+ plug and play is wired the same way.
Had me scratching my head for a few minutes when trying to figure out why I'd lost the left channel, when in fact I'd lost the right.
Since I was in contact with the folks at Allo at the time...I did send them a very mild WTF email.

Last edited:
Im just excited every time i switch on and im doing the usual thing of listening to material i thought i knew well....turns out i dont....the odd hi-hat i missed,the intake of breath before vocals,the ambience revealed anew in old material.
From early English music,through Bach and Purcell to Leftfield,the Zepp and Philip Glass,im finding my system warm,detailed and thrilling.
My wife being driven mad as i summon her to hear tracks!
D plus,FX buffer,Kenwood 7090 and alternating between Tannoy Red Monitors and Opera Callas Divinas.:):beatnik::)

Nope. Wired the wrong way. No big deal though. I have a test track on Spotify that tests right and left channel. I ALWAYS use it when hooking up my gear.

IMG_1365.JPG IMG_1370.JPG
The new unit is a joy,im thrilled to bits to be honest.....both CD,DAT and vinyl are utterly captivating with this little system.
Been listening to a LOT of music.....:):beatnik::)

View attachment 1350698 View attachment 1350699
The new unit is a joy,im thrilled to bits to be honest.....both CD,DAT and vinyl are utterly captivating with this little system.
Been listening to a LOT of music.....:):beatnik::)

Nice! These little 6J1 tube preamps are such a fun and inexpensive way to experiment with the sound of the Volt+D (or really any tpa3116/3118 amp).
You may have mentioned this earlier, but what tubes are you running in your various 6J1 preamps?

Nice! These little 6J1 tube preamps are such a fun and inexpensive way to experiment with the sound of the Volt+D (or really any tpa3116/3118 amp).
You may have mentioned this earlier, but what tubes are you running in your various 6J1 preamps?
Youre quite right,such fun.Yesterday i connected my TT[Audionote] up to this combo and tonight im reaping the sonic delights.:)
Ill have to get my torch and magnifying glass to identify tubes,may take some time,but will fulfill the mission.
How much would a sound like this cost when i was just a lad i ask myself compared to todays prices.
Until the Chinese revolt of course......:rolleyes:

How much would a sound like this cost when i was just a lad i ask myself compared to todays prices.
Until the Chinese revolt of course......:rolleyes:

Hopefully the next gen budget chips will have the GaN FET output stages (the sooner the better). Things might be difficult for old skool amp sales if this goes well.
Heres a boring (GaN FET) video:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom