TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Implementation is everything with these amps. I'm sure there are great sounding 3255 amps as well as average sounding ones.

IMO the 3118 in the Volt+D has reached it's highest level of implementation. It's so tricked out that if used with efficient speakers where massive power is not required it has few peers.

Last edited:
@Poultrygeist - What’s the barrel size for the 6j1 pre power connector? I think 5.5mm x 2.1 is too big for my 6j1 pre. I’m trying to figure it out so I can replicate what you’re doing with the Pyramid PSU.

I assume the ones as shown in the picture above are all the same size. That would be 2.1mm x 5.5mm but I can't say for sure. I bought a bag of them awhile back and they all fit the FX but I don't have the original packaging. You do have the 12v DC version?

Last edited:
I assume the ones as shown in the picture above are all the same size. That would be 2.1mm x 5.5mm but I can't say for sure. I bought a bag of them awhile back and they all fit the FX but I don't have the original packaging. You do have the 12v DC version?

Ok - thanks for the info. I do have the 12v DC version, but for some reason my other adapters that I know are 5.5 x 2.1 won’t fit. I’ll figure it out. I went ahead and ordered the regulated psu, so I’ll play with it once it’s in.

How often would the tubes need to be replaced on something like this ?

Poulty, Are you supplying the thing with 13.8v ?

Last edited:
Implementation is everything with these amps. I'm sure there are great sounding 3255 amps as well as average sounding ones.
I think I agree (though I have only heard one 3255 amp which I am highly biased about), but I want to add that the intrinsic properties of chip amps do determine what all implementations can achieve acoustically (noise floor, power v distortion figures for example), and also determine some features that are universal across implementations (such as on-chip speaker protection).
It's not being rude to TI 311x amps (all of them) to say that TI 325x amps (all of them) are different by virtue of natural technological progress. Not necessarily better in all respects, of course.
My point perhaps is that I would love to see the Volt+ treatment applied to the 3255 chip, by anyone, realistically at a sub $250 level, hopefully with an integrated SMPS. I could sell 2 of them tomorrow I think, and a lot of $1000+ amps would be quietly retired while a lot of poor consumer amps might be replaced by surprisingly good ones. This is speculation at the moment though. :)

My point perhaps is that I would love to see the Volt+ treatment applied to the 3255 chip, by anyone, realistically at a sub $250 level, hopefully with an integrated SMPS. I could sell 2 of them tomorrow I think, and a lot of $1000+ amps would be quietly retired while a lot of poor consumer amps might be replaced by surprisingly good ones. This is speculation at the moment though. :)

The Volt+ treatment would be abit tricky as all of the newer chips that i've seen use an opamp input stage.
You could port the capacitance multiplier across...

An intermediate step could be 2x TPA3156 on a Volt+ styled board. Its pin for pin with the TPA3116 - but with a little bit more power again.

If there was such a board available and i could put my input capacitor of choice on it, i'd jump at the chance to buy a few.

Its "sort of" 2 YJ BB's with 2 capacitance multipliers (less 4 inductors). Please someone make this.

edit-no UK version available.....
Do you need a UK version ?

I might be reading this wrong :D

Last edited:
The Volt+ treatment would be abit tricky as all of the newer chips that i've seen use an opamp input stage.
You could port the capacitance multiplier across...

An intermediate step could be 2x TPA3156 on a Volt+ styled board. Its pin for pin with the TPA3116 - but with a little bit more power again.

If there was such a board available and i could put my input capacitor of choice on it, i'd jump at the chance to buy a few.

Its "sort of" 2 YJ BB's with 2 capacitance multipliers (less 4 inductors). Please someone make this.

Do you need a UK version ?

I might be reading this wrong :D
By the Volt + treatment I meant a quality focused implementation rather than a cost focused implementation, on the grounds that this need not be horribly expensive. A board design could be derived from the EVM circuit published by TI, a 400-500W 48V SMPS (say) could be included, in a simple case. I'm not averse to the use of capacitance multipliers or just big decoupling caps. As for an opamp pre-chip stage, well, they are not so hard to do. Then optimise that design for manufacturing cost without cutting every component down to the bone. Instant hit amplifier imo.
It's just speculation as I said.

Just a quick question about leaving these things on. I finally got around to messing around w/ a Volt+ I ordered a while ago. Really happy with what I hear. Put together a quick and dirty case out of tupperware. No power switch so the thing has been on all the time for the past couple days. Should I avoid this? The board and case doesn't seem to be giving off any heat whatsoever (at least that I can feel). I know it's not that big of a deal but if I can get away w/ not having to wire up a power switch and just leave the thing plugged in/turned on, that would be great.

How often would the tubes need to be replaced on something like this ?

Poulty, Are you supplying the thing with 13.8v ?

Sounds fantastic with the 13.8v. The FX is labeled 12vDC. But do you think that's too much? I've used the same Pyramid on another 12v preamp ( TCC TC-754 ) without a problem.

Just a quick question about leaving these things on. I finally got around to messing around w/ a Volt+ I ordered a while ago. Really happy with what I hear. Put together a quick and dirty case out of tupperware. No power switch so the thing has been on all the time for the past couple days. Should I avoid this? The board and case doesn't seem to be giving off any heat whatsoever (at least that I can feel). I know it's not that big of a deal but if I can get away w/ not having to wire up a power switch and just leave the thing plugged in/turned on, that would be great.

Just plug it into a on/off power strip. That's what I do with the Volt+D as well as a Chrome Cast Audio.

Sounds fantastic with the 13.8v. The FX is labeled 12vDC. But do you think that's too much? I've used the same Pyramid on another 12v preamp ( TCC TC-754 ) without a problem.

Sorry Poultry, i can't comment as i have never worked with a tube circuit.
With my linear supply, there is an internal voltage trim (small trimpot) which allowed for abit of movement of the output. If the pyramid has this, it might be able to get the regulator to output closer to 12v ?

After living with both for several months, I believe the TPA 3255 has more potential than the TPA 311X. It's already better with less efficient speakers. I've mentioned it before, but it is a bit strange that
there haven't been many attempts to max out the TPA 3255 vs. the hundreds of pages of material on improving the various tpa 311x boards. Someone suggested that it's because there's not much to do to the
TPA 325x. I simply don't know enough to support or counter that one.

My take is that for most people, the TPA 3255 in civilian dress is the better choice. For folks who listen in a small room with efficient speakers who listen to small scale acoustic music, I do prefer the Volt +d or Volt +, but
there aren't that many of us and it's less about the chip than the level of care put into the entire amp circuit vs. whatever yuan jing and its peers stamp out. I listen in a small room and mostly listen to small scale acoustic music, so
usually listen through the Volt +D. For movies in the living room, I've gone over to the TPA 325x, because I find that the TPA 311x can feel a little compressed over time.

In the meantime, I wait patiently for someone to try to max out the tpa 325x.

I do agree about 19 volts for the tpa 311X, though there are some benefits with a very high quality power supply at 24 volts. IMO, 19 is the best for clarity and detail, but 24 from a regulated linear supply does add a little body.

Sorry Poultry, i can't comment as i have never worked with a tube circuit.
With my linear supply, there is an internal voltage trim (small trimpot) which allowed for abit of movement of the output. If the pyramid has this, it might be able to get the regulator to output closer to 12v ?

After doing some research I've learned that it's quite common and ok to power 12v DC devices with a power supply of 13.8v DC. The Pyramid is a great upgrade for many 12v DAC's. A tube circuit is even more forgiving.

Back
Top Bottom