TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

A single stage plate anode, collector or drain follower line stage with gain usually inverts acoustic polarity and has relatively high source impedance, compared to a single stage cathode, emitter or source follower buffer which is unity (no) gain, relatively low source impedance and does not invert acoustic polarity.
Which is which is a difference with a definite distinction.
What is acoustic polarity?

Anyone able to post a link to the right jack/adapter for using the Pyramid power supply w/ a Volt+? Been powering it with a 19v power brick whose jack fits just fine into the adapter that comes with the Volt+. So no problems there.

Picked these adapters up recently up in hopes of using the Pyramid but they don't fit into the adapter that comes w/ the Volt+.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015OCV5XY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looking closer at the measurements it appears the jack on the power brick has dimensions of 5.5mm x 2.5mm. The ones I bought turned out to be 5.5mm x 2.1mm. Been doing a bunch of searches and I can't find any 5.5mm x 2.5mm adapters for the life of me.

Anyone able to post a link to the right jack/adapter for using the Pyramid power supply w/ a Volt+? Been powering it with a 19v power brick whose jack fits just fine into the adapter that comes with the Volt+. So no problems there.

Picked these adapters up recently up in hopes of using the Pyramid but they don't fit into the adapter that comes w/ the Volt+.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015OCV5XY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looking closer at the measurements it appears the jack on the power brick has dimensions of 5.5mm x 2.5mm. The ones I bought turned out to be 5.5mm x 2.1mm. Been doing a bunch of searches and I can't find any 5.5mm x 2.5mm adapters for the life of me.

These?:
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-5-5mm...+connector&dpPl=1&dpID=41BWRTtd8dL&ref=plSrch

I use the Astron with the FX preamp but I'm not sure it sounds any better than the much cheaper Pyramid. I use the 19v power brick that allo sells and recommends for the Volt+D. The whole point of the CM's ( that are built into the +D ) is so you can use a cheaper power supply.

These male plugs should fit the FX female input and they are marked + and -. You loosen the screws on top insert the hook up wires in the holes and tighten them down.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015OCV5XO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A26VCHUIBE4PN9&psc=1

Hook up wires should be stranded and no larger than 18 gauge. 20 gauge is probably ideal. You can use speaker wire or just buy a roll of hook up wire from Home Depot or Lowes.

The linear regulated psu has a red + terminal and a black - terminal and observing polarity the hook up wire is connected to these terminals.

So is it okay to buy the 5amp version of the Pyramid? Yours is 2.5 if I recollect. Would it make a difference? And what do you power your Topping DAC with?

Last edited:

Allo ships their Volts with a special adaptor that works. One came with the Volt+ and one with the Volt+D. It's a strange size and one I've not seen before. You need that adaptor in order to use the ones you bought from Amazon. This was discussed earlier in this thread but I wouldn't know where.

So is it okay to buy the 5amp version of the Pyramid? Yours is 2.5 if I recollect. Would it make a difference? And what do you power your Topping DAC with?

Yes. Mine is the 2.5 A and it works great with the FX preamp. I don't think I tried it with the Volts but it was a fine upgrade for my TPA 3116's.

The Topping DAC requires a 15v so I wouldn't use a 12v Pyramid with it. I just use the Topping wall wart. Haven't found an inexpensive 15v linear regulated but maybe there's one out there?

Yes!!!
Allo ships their Volts with a special adaptor that works. One came with the Volt+ and one with the Volt+D. It's a strange size and one I've not seen before. You need that adaptor in order to use the ones you bought from Amazon. This was discussed earlier in this thread but I wouldn't know where.
I'm sorted out now, PG. I do have the Allo adapter. But I ordered the wrong size of what grantly linked to above.

Im alternating between to the two FXs,the tone controls appealed because i have a large collection of bootlegs and live recordings which oftentimes do need some tweaking.
Both perform perfectly and the theres quite some gain on the eq version i have.
Ive compared the ALLO set-up to all other Class Ds i have and it wins hands down.
The REL Q200E sub blends perfectly.Hard to tear myself away from the system sometimes.....:):beatnik::)

Last edited:
I received my 6J1 preamp today...tried with the stock tube, Volt+ and Topping D30 for an hour and half...i had turn up the volume knob of the preamp almost all the way...used a 12 volt 2 amp wallwart which i had already for my TV set-top box...here are my observations..
1. I had to use two step up volume in the step attenuator to produce equal SPL with the preamp in the chain than without the preamp
2. Dull and muddy sound with the preamp than without usinng it.
3. Loss of some dynamics and details and oopmh
4. Thin and less lively sound with the preamp
5. Lack of bass with the preamp than without it....
So what is wrong..can someone tell me??
Do i need more burn in time for the stock tubes or i need better tubes or is it that the device is really cheap and degrades the sound? What is the chance that sound will be better than only using Volt+, if i upgrade the tubes?

I received my 6J1 preamp today...tried with the stock tube, Volt+ and Topping D30 for an hour and half...i had turn up the volume knob of the preamp almost all the way...used a 12 volt 2 amp wallwart which i had already for my TV set-top box...here are my observations..
1. I had to use two step up volume in the step attenuator to produce equal SPL with the preamp in the chain than without the preamp
Do i need more burn in time for the stock tubes or i need better tubes or is it that the device is really cheap and degrades the sound? What is the chance that sound will be better than only using Volt+, if i upgrade the tubes?

Something's wrong for sure. Why not use the 12vDC wall wart that came with your 6j1? You need to max the volume on the Volt and allow the 6j1 to control the volume.

Yeah, something is wrong. Dont know if it defective unit, defective stock tubes or something else all together. I can't comment on the stock tubes because I havent used them, I got the upgraded ones on Amazon's site from GE. There is absolutely nothing wrong with dynamics or anything being muddy. I also dont have to turn up my pre-amp as much as i had to with just the Volt+ in the path.

I don't own one of these pre-amps, but there are a series of dip switches underneath the Little Dot pre-amp that change the gain (I don't know if they're under a little door or something, they may simply be on the bottom panel, or you may have to unscrew the bottom panel to get to the 2 red boxes. I have a feeling that they're set to 0 or some level that's too low for your inputs.

http://195.84.101.101/~goranl/projects/nad_stereo/little_dot/LittleDot_MKII_Guide.pdf
see page 8 of the manual above.

Last edited:
I also used the supplied wallwart...so i guess that's not the issue here in this case..and i am using DC wall wart for sure..

Last edited:
With the preamp in the chain...sound becomes more congested and boxy ..as if it is played in a closed small chamber...and without the preamp, leaving only the Volt+ and Topping D30 in the chain ..sound is much more open..soothing...I also tried the Preamp with Sennheiser HD6XX and Sapphire V.4 headphone amplifier...and i have no doubt that this preamp only making the sound worse..cutting off open-ness,note extensions..introducing choking effect on sound...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom