TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I have this one...
2018 Lastest Nobsound HiFi 6J1 Vacuum Tube Preamp Stereo Tube Preamplifier Digital With Treble
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bBPJkeWG

may be it is inferior to Fx-audio tube 01...but i am sceptical now to try Fx- audio tube 01....
Rather i will be investing on a better DAC...I have my eyes on Modi Multibit (aka Mimby)...I think that will be wiser..

I have this one...
2018 Lastest Nobsound HiFi 6J1 Vacuum Tube Preamp Stereo Tube Preamplifier Digital With Treble

may be it is inferior to Fx-audio tube 01...but i am sceptical now to try Fx- audio tube 01....
Rather i will be investing on a better DAC...I have my eyes on Modi Multibit (aka Mimby)...I think that will be wiser..

Save yourself $150 and get the Topping D30. I have it and the Mimby.

With the preamp in the chain...sound becomes more congested and boxy ..as if it is played in a closed small chamber...and without the preamp, leaving only the Volt+ and Topping D30 in the chain ..sound is much more open..soothing...I also tried the Preamp with Sennheiser HD6XX and Sapphire V.4 headphone amplifier...and i have no doubt that this preamp only making the sound worse..cutting off open-ness,note extensions..introducing choking effect on sound...

I think you got a dud.

I absolutely love the combination of the FX Audio tube preamp ( with a linear regulated psu ) driving the Volt+D powering efficient 93 db speakers. So much so that my more expensive and complex systems sit idle. IMO the $29 Volt+ takes a back seat to the upgraded +D. My Volt+ 's volume control is vastly inferior to the stepped attenuator of the +D. The +D also has settings for gain which allows for a better match with one's preamp. I've never done an A/B listening test but with it's superior parts (all film caps in the signal path) I'm sure the +D sounds better but you may not be blown away by the difference.

I have this one...

You might be able to get an idea of the effect of (definitely working) tubes in your signal path from this video which compares a few solid state devices with a few tube devices, using a set of headphones or earbuds that you are familiar with.
Obviously this is not a scientific test, since it's a YT video and the signal path is not remotely clean, and it doesn't include your specific device, and it tests headphone amps, but it might give you an idea of what to expect from tubes done properly.
Personally I like wide open, accurate reproduction if possible with a flat frequency response, so tubes work against that preference. Other people like tubes because they add some even harmonics, particularly 2nd harmonics, which can have the subjective effect of making the sound 'warmer'.

It may be that your device is faulty in some way or there's a connection problem(the video should give you an idea), or perhaps you are someone who doesn't get on with tubes and is sensitive enough to hear the difference. Or maybe you like some tube amps but not others - just want to cover the bases, in case you haven't tried tubes before.
The new Modi 3 DAC is also worth a look I think.

Last edited:
You might be able to get an idea of the effect of (definitely working) tubes in your signal path from this video which compares a few solid state devices with a few tube devices, using a set of headphones or earbuds that you are familiar with.
Obviously this is not a scientific test, since it's a YT video and the signal path is not remotely clean, and it doesn't include your specific device, and it tests headphone amps, but it might give you an idea of what to expect from tubes done properly.
Personally I like wide open, accurate reproduction if possible with a flat frequency response, so tubes work against that preference. Other people like tubes because they add some even harmonics, particularly 2nd harmonics, which can have the subjective effect of making the sound 'warmer'.

It may be that your device is faulty in some way or there's a connection problem(the video should give you an idea), or perhaps you are someone who doesn't get on with tubes and is sensitive enough to hear the difference. Or maybe you like some tube amps but not others - just want to cover the bases, in case you haven't tried tubes before.
The new Modi 3 DAC is also worth a look I think.
Thanks..i will check it out..

Ok, I decided to join in here, but certainly haven't read all 400 pages.
I currently have a finished, yet ongoing project here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/a-little-d-amp-project.847531/#post-12245477
This runs on 120 AC, but also runs completely on 12VDC.
I used 2 TDA 7498E's, bridged, with 2 separate 12vdc to 36vdc step up boards.
I relocated the volume pots, as well as the inputs.

I have decided to install a tube preamp kit (I've ordered 3 different ones to build)
The idea is for it to remain operable, again, on either AC or DC.

I'm going to install a small inverter which will bring the 12vdc up to 120AC, which I'll then step down with another board to achieve the 12vac to run the tube amp combined with the 12vdc.

Ok, I decided to join in here, but certainly haven't read all 400 pages.
I currently have a finished, yet ongoing project here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/a-little-d-amp-project.847531/#post-12245477
This runs on 120 AC, but also runs completely on 12VDC.
I used 2 TDA 7498E's, bridged, with 2 separate 12vdc to 36vdc step up boards.
I relocated the volume pots, as well as the inputs.

I have decided to install a tube preamp kit (I've ordered 3 different ones to build)
The idea is for it to remain operable, again, on either AC or DC.

I'm going to install a small inverter which will bring the 12vdc up to 120AC, which I'll then step down with another board to achieve the 12vac to run the tube amp combined with the 12vdc.

Nice build! :thumbsup:

The D30 is better to my ears and the tests at ASR confirm it. I have a Topping DX3pro on order and when it arrives I'll either sell the Mimby or move it to another system.

Poultrygeist, I think we need to have an audio intervention. Now you are upgrading your dac?!?! LOL
Is it supposed to be a significant step up over your current D30?

Any discussion of solid state vs tubes amps should also include speakers. These big 12" alnico Zeniths were made in 1957 when tube amplification was all there was. They are voiced for a flea watt tube amp and do not sound good with a solid state amp. You'll also see a predominance of tube amps powering modern full range single drivers. One reason I like the TPA's is they have a tube like sound and work so well with my Fostex BL horns.

With most of my speaker systems I bi-amp driving the mains with a tube amp and the woofers with solid state.

P1010004.jpg

Back
Top Bottom