TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I guess with traditional box speakers you can say the same thing but just four more sides/pieces of wood. :)
you are absolutely correct, but the point that they are making is that making an ob woofer sit right or stand up in the position/ height to you need is so much easier to do than building a well executed box speaker that if you have, just the tiniest bit, of inclination to get your hands dirty and save a few bucks, this is very good place to do it since it is almost fool proof and you cant really ef it up. the savings if you look at it percentage wise is significant too. even though those drivers are more expensive than i though.

you are absolutely correct, but the point that they are making is that making an ob woofer sit right or stand up in the position/ height to you need is so much easier to do than building a well executed box speaker that if you have, just the tiniest bit, of inclination to get your hands dirty and save a few bucks, this is very good place to do it since it is almost fool proof and you cant really ef it up. the savings if you look at it percentage wise is significant too. even though those drivers are more expensive than i though.
This. No need to spend the bucks if you don't have to. But it's your money. I'd advise others to just buy the drivers and make a baffle.

You can buy 3/4" plywood at Home Depot and they will make the cuts for free. All that's left is cutting the holes with a jigsaw and using any kind of L bracket support so they'll stand on their own. If you use a plate amp it will have it's own frequency control.

PA280008.jpg

To the guys have the Allo Volt +D, could you please share the gain settings that you are using ?
20 / 26db ?

Thanks.

26 dB, I use a unity gain buffer controller instead of an active gain line stage in the present evolution of the system.

What is it about the RSL you don't like?

Actually nothing. I have been tinkering with my subs all morning and got them sounding fantastic. All is right again. The problem was I took one out of the system and hooked it up to my avr for home theater. Which made both systems sound mediocre with just one sub. So I decided not to compromise and put both subs back into my two channel set up. Back to sounding great again.

Actually nothing. I have been tinkering with my subs all morning and got them sounding fantastic. All is right again. The problem was I took one out of the system and hooked it up to my avr for home theater. Which made both systems sound mediocre with just one sub. So I decided not to compromise and put both subs back into my two channel set up. Back to sounding great again.
Good for you. I know RSL is well regarded and also that 2 is recommended. Audio Alcoholics actually stacked theirs,

Good for you. I know RSL is well regarded and also that 2 is recommended. Audio Alcoholics actually stacked theirs,

Yeah. I am glad that I got it dialed in again. It truly is a remarkable sub. I have owned a lot of subs and this is my favorite. I have the two subs next to each speaker. Maybe I will get two more and stack them. 4 RSL’s would be ridiculous. And then to top it I am getting two Dayton Audio Sub 1500’s for the theater side of it.

To the guys have the Allo Volt +D, could you please share the gain settings that you are using ?
20 / 26db ?

Thanks.

Funny that you ask that now. I switched DACs from a hifimediy 18 to a Topping d50, which seemed to have a bit less gain than the hifimediy. I really liked the d50, but noticed that it wasn't very loud. I switched over to my tpa 3255 amp and though "Hey, this sounds better." I should also mention that I don't use a pre amp, so it goes from Linux computer (less gain than Windows 10, Android, or Apple, but for a good audio reason) to DAC to amp.

Anyway, I put the volt+d back in my system last night, but went to the 26 db setting and it helped a lot. I can use the DAC's volume control again. Back when I was using the Volt + board, I did try it with my tube pre-amp, the pre-amp had so much gain I had the reverse problem. Right now, 26 db is definitely the way to go for me, but with the other dac it was fine at 20db. Oddly, the hifmediy DAC doesn't have much gain at all, but it may have been just enough for 20db to work.

Thanks for the heads up airbus,

I've been using a passive attenuator with amp board set to 32db gain. While trying the FX audio tube pre, the gain setting doesnt allow for much volume rotation. I think its back to 26db.

Does anyone know of a TPA or TDA amp that merges channels from stereo to mono? All of the mono amps I've seen only allow for a single channel input. Perhaps there's a separate board to do this. It would have to be passive, as ground loops become an issue if power is required. I'm looking to make a simple mono, perhaps bluetooth, tiny amp.

I'm about ready to try the TPA3116.
The TDA 7498E's have zero tolerance for much of anything.
It seems if you just look at them wrong, the chip blows.
What's the blow up factor on the 3116?

I bought a couple of those 12vac tube pre's just for fun. 1 ran, 1 didn't.
I tested it and it measured almost ok. They called for 28vdc I was showing 30.

Anyways it seemed to be working ok and was putting out some tunes.
I turned up the pre to give it some ooomph, and another TDA went up in smoke.
This is getting old.
I think the Amazon people are on to me. The prices keep going up.
My first one was like $17, and they've just gone up from there.
I just saw one on Amazon, and this one seller is trying to get almost $50!
Bastiges.

I think the Amazon people are on to me. The prices keep going up.

Thankfully the TPA amps that i'm using havent moved much price wise. I think it was $19.. now $22 (or thereabouts).
But with being concerned that they might get phased out overnight, i bought a couple as spares. To keep my power supply and preamp spares company :D

The tube pre thats been mentioned on this thread has also taken a price hike with the newer listings.
Heres one for about $60.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EU-FX-A...=item3d787d6264:g:A4MAAOSwlypb2GsI:rk:19:pf:0

Last edited:
Hi all, just wanted to share concerning my volt-d. The left channel is a lot weaker than the right, I have already checked the sensitivity switches at the bottom and both are set at 20. I suspect it could be the switch as PG have mentioned that they are quite fragile. I have already contacted Allo via email and have not heard from them. Too bad they were sounding good on my JBL Studio 590. If anyone have any idea to remedy this issue it will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi all, just wanted to share concerning my volt-d. The left channel is a lot weaker than the right, I have already checked the sensitivity switches at the bottom and both are set at 20. I suspect it could be the switch as PG have mentioned that they are quite fragile. I have already contacted Allo via email and have not heard from them. Too bad they were sounding good on my JBL Studio 590. If anyone have any idea to remedy this issue it will be much appreciated. Thanks.

I'd keep switching them and listening. Don't worry about their positions relative to the numbers or to each other.

There was some talk a few pages back about a group buy for TPA32xx boards.
Just posting (for those interested) that there is currently a group buy over on diyAudio, in the commercial/group buys section, for 3e Audio boards including a choice of 32xx amp boards, appropriate SMPS power supply boards and a DSP preamp board (ADAU1701 chip, 2 input channels, 4 balanced channels out, choice of 2 configurations. I have snapped one up to see if I can wrestle some DSP goodness out of Sigma Studio, maybe use it for budget room correction).

Obviously I'm not responsible and can't answer for 3e audio who are running the GB, but I think it's worth a look if you're interested in a $200 ish DIY project like this.

Back
Top Bottom