Tracking Force for Empire 2000e III

Teddy White

Friends, my Technics SL-B2 came equipped with the above mentioned cartridge. Not knowing the age of the stylus, I just purchased a new one, which came labeled 4237-DEC. The sound is somewhat harsh & very sibilant. After a bit of research here, I decided to set my tracking force @ 2.5 grams, with a matching anti-skate setting. A little better sound, but not much. Having no experience in these matters, I ask for your advice.

Thank you.

Friends, my Technics SL-B2 came equipped with the above mentioned cartridge. Not knowing the age of the stylus, I just purchased a new one, which came labeled 4237-DEC. The sound is somewhat harsh & very sibilant. After a bit of research here, I decided to set my tracking force @ 2.5 grams, with a matching anti-skate setting. A little better sound, but not much. Having no experience in these matters, I ask for your advice.

Thank you.

The tracking force for Pfanstiehl 4237-DEC 0.3 x 0.7 mil elliptical tip is listed as 0.75 - 1.50 gram. :music:
http://thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/part_detail.asp?PNumberBase=237

Most of the time "replacement" means it will fit the cartridge and rarely means it will meet the original technical specifications. Empire gave several measurements with their specifications (distortion, frequency response, tracking force, tracking ability, channel separation etc) you will rarely see any specifications for aftermarket styli which makes it difficult for the buyer to compare and figure out what they are getting. Higher cost doesn't necessarily mean you are getting a better product. I've found good performing generics at half the price of some poor generics. Also quality control is a problem with generic manufacturers; you may have gotten one that should have been rejected.

Of all of the generics I have purchased over the years, Pfanstiehl, Russell Lind, Ed Saunders, EVG and JICO, JICO is the only manufacturer that replicates the original both in build and sound quality.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not happy with the sound I'm getting at present, so I'll order the Jico & keep my fingers crossed!

The logical follow-up question is whether to replace the Empire altogether...but that's a rabbit hole I'm not ready to go down quite yet.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not happy with the sound I'm getting at present, so I'll order the Jico & keep my fingers crossed!

The logical follow-up question is whether to replace the Empire altogether...but that's a rabbit hole I'm not ready to go down quite yet.

Listen to and enjoy the music for while. :music:

Note all the deficiency that you encounter and look for some other cartridge/stylus later .

Listen to and enjoy the music for while. :music:

Note all the deficiency that you encounter and look for some other cartridge/stylus later .
Thank you! This hobby is addictive. I was just in a flea market, looking at gear I have no use for, but still thinking, what if...

I'd suggest getting a Jico shibata that ismade for the Empire 4000 D/III. It will work very nicely in the 2000 E series ;)

That Empire you have is a lovely cart and worthwhile getting the better stylus for. Track at 1.5g.

Last edited:
I only just say this question but if any one happens to land here with out further adue
The 2000 series is an incredible cart... It however is 1gm to 1.5gm tracking force or it will die a sad untimely death. I have seen it track at lower than 1 @3.4gm with no loss of signal but specs are as above. I have run this cartridge on one of my decks that see regular use since 1978. 2 stylus entire life is the result of light tracking force. Sad they are no longer made. Cheers, Nemo

I only just say this question but if any one happens to land here with out further adue
The 2000 series is an incredible cart... It however is 1gm to 1.5gm tracking force or it will die a sad untimely death. I have seen it track at lower than 1 @3.4gm with no loss of signal but specs are as above. I have run this cartridge on one of my decks that see regular use since 1978. 2 stylus entire life is the result of light tracking force. Sad they are no longer made. Cheers, Nemo
I have it set at 1.5 grams. I did upgrade the stylus a few months ago, which helped the sound considerably.

Stylus quality is critical and so is alignment. There is more to set up than tracking force and anti skate.

Your cartridge needs to be aligned properly within the slots on the headshell. For your Technics alignment is very simple.

Remove the headshell and measure the distance between the mounting and the stylus tip. Set it to 52mm with the cartridge centered in the slots. They make a tool for this that cost less than $10 on the auction site. Without the tool you can use calipers or improvise by drawing a 52mm reference line. After you do this reset the vtf and antiskate.

Always work on a level surface and make sure your table is level during use.

5E5E5532-8179-4589-AF17-760CE848B2FF.jpeg

Last edited:

Your comments on light tracking, like 3/4 gram, may apply to the OEM stylus but not necessarily to the low cost aftermarket stylus.

Tracking on the light side has its potential issues, specifically to sound quality and record wear. Light tracking can be harmful to records if your arm and setup are not up for the task.

I find that in most cases the middle to upper end of manufacturers vtf spec range to be better than the low end.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom