• LED

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • Traditional

Votes: 28 41.2%

• Total voters

Dude111

Analogue is Awesome
Which do ya like better??

I LIKE TRADITIONAL AND WILL USE THEM AS LONG AS POSSIBLE!!!! (Much better)

Led lights are ****ing garbage.. BLINDING,UGLY,ETC....... (CFLs are crap also)

Both ...

I recently refurbished my Sansui QRX-9001 and used LEDs to replace the unobtanium globe lamps used in signal meters and dial lighting. Needle and power meter lamps remain incandescent, as both usually don't need to be replaced, and they'd be a real PITA to do in any case. Those would actually be fairly easy to get to if I had to replace them down the road. Hard part's getting the rascals out as they tend to bond with the housings ... anybody got some really really small sticks of dynamite? <G>

Trick really is trying to match the original color and lumens. I came REAL close using 12v high intensity warm white LEDs driven with the Sui's 8vac lighting circuit converted to VDC to eliminate any flickering.

BTW good olde incandescent lamps may be making a comeback. MIT has done some research on a coating that reflects IR while passing visible. By using the reflected IR to help heat the filament much less current is needed than previously to produce the same amount of visible light. They think that 40% efficiency is realistic. LEDs currently top out around 15%. For comparison old style incandescent bulbs were 2-3%. They didn't indicate how long for development, but since it is not a drug I hope we'll see them sooner rather than later.

LED's for me. The right LED looks great in older equipment, and with some optical filters they pretty much resemble incandescents, but with greater life.

Just my 2¢....

Not sure if this only correlates to audio equipment or other things like house lights or monitors. I don't mind the bright light LEDs have on indicators on audio equipment. In fact, some of my bulbs have burnt out and I may try throwing on a diode and LED's as replacements. They really don't look that different from VFD's. I bought some for my kitchen since they are "flood" lights. I hate the soft/yellow look it had when I moved in so I bought some bright "neutral" LED lights. I have a 40 watt LED for my bedroom and I hate how dim it is. I didn't think I'd like the ones in the kitchen because they are also LED, but I'm converted. They are super bright (I think either 75 or 100watt equiv) and white! They'll last into my next move and hopefully I'll be able to use them for something (since they were kind of expensive and floods only).

As for Christmas tree lights, they are super bright and look great without being hot to the touch. Only problem is, trying to use LED christmas lights for photography (background and blurred for bokeh/shallow DOF), you have to use 1/60 or lower because there's a weird "scanning/flickering" like you get with video does to monitors. If you get into a "wave" of where the LEDs are "off", then you literally have a very dark photo. Also, if you have them stretched out, you will have some of them "on" the other side "off" because each one is literally being pulsed. Not fun taking photos of pets who won't sit still for a 1/60th of a shutter or slower because of blur on the subject :(

Depends. I have LED lamps in my drop lights, my worktable light in the shop, the dashboard and interior lights in my car, and in most of the standard screw-base lamp fixtures in my house. What isn't LED in the house is halogen fingerprint remover bulbs. On my old gear, its usually standard bulbs for no better reason than it requires zero effort. If it was a spot where heat was a concern I'd consider changing it.

My home is 99% LED lights (2700K, a nice warm white light) and I won't go back to CFL or incandescent bulbs. I love them.

I manage over a dozen buildings, in the desert. With incandescent bulbs during the summer, we had bulbs dying weekly, ccfl was better, but not by much. Some old mercury halide bulbs were the worst, short life due to the extreme heat they created, expensive to replace, and increasingly difficult to get ahold of. LED significantly cut down the time and money we spent on replacing bulbs, especially the ones in high hard to reach places that required renting a lift to get to.

Depends on the application!
I'm really liking LEDs. Almost no heat, bright, instant turn on in cold locations.
I always hated CFLs, never used them in stereo equipment. :p
I tried some LED replacements in an overhead 2 bulb T-12 fluorescent fixture.
They were way too bright for the room. (4100K)
They're going in the shop where they'll be appreciated. I'm still learning about lumens and color temps.
I installed an LED 40 watt replacement for the rough service bulb in my drill press lamp.
I was thinking about putting some LEDs in my Marantz 2330B to replace burned out bulbs.

I put LEDs in my Fisher C-810 console. Now if you can find me a pair of extra long 58mm x 6mm, 6.5v festoon bulbs for under $50 and guarantee they won't burn out I might consider switching back.

LEDs man! They last longer, are getting really cheap now, use way less energy, run cooler, and you don't have to worry about getting yellow light cast everywhere by some of them ("Soft White" isn't always available or used in incandescent lighting). I used to think "the man" shouldn't be telling us what lightbulbs to use (I know, political, that's where I'll leave it), but it's a good thing LEDs got pushed so hard, because now that they've really come down in price they're a much better option. I'll never go back.

For vintage receivers, I'll probably replace those with the appropriate original type of bulb to maintain the original look, but LEDs do look nice in a lot of those receivers.

As for CFLs, those can die already. They're just not worth the biohazard and LEDs beat the crap out of them anyway in every category.

I'm slowly moving towards LEDs. We live in an old house, so having a lot of light with very little current draw is a big plus. When I can have 8 or 10 lights on for the same draw as one 100 watt bulb, that's a good thing. Also when you collect lamps, you need a lot of bulbs. I've been using the Wally World bulbs and they are working great. Very cheap and seem reliable so far.

Incandescent light is one step up from an oil lamp which was one up from torches.. Sneeze too close and they go ping and that's it. Inefficient to the max (90% heat, 10% light) they make a better room heater than a light source. :wtf:
LED's have come a very long way, both is color (temperature) and falling prices. If you don't like LED's spectrum, get some that say 2700 or 3000 Kelvin as that is a very close approximation to incandescent/quarts and cast a beautiful warm light. If it is too intense, get a LOWER WATTAGE! Yup, a 5 watt LED is plenty for most things you use a 60-75 watt incandescent for. Their efficiency rate is also 90% to 10% but it is 90% light, not heat!!

The amount of power we consume will drastically fall with their full implementation, maybe to the point where countries can become energy efficient enough to not have to import. I'm not someone who buys into human caused climate change necessarily, but there are other reasons to get off coal, oil and gas and nuclear too.
Fully implementing LED lighting is just one of the answers to everyone's energy woes. :thumbsup:

I see others are thinking this is a thread about lamps in audio gear! If I am wrong, please advise. When you mentioned CFL's in the OP I just assumed we were talking about room illumination..
Which do ya like better??

I LIKE TRADITIONAL AND WILL USE THEM AS LONG AS POSSIBLE!!!! (Much better)

Led lights are ****ing garbage.. BLINDING,UGLY,ETC....... (CFLs are crap also)

I use 2700k LED bulbs. My favourite ones were GE REVEAL but have since moved to Philips HUE White for their remote dimmer functions and wifi support.

For hard wired dimmers go with Philips 2700k WARM GLOW bulbs. The colour gets warmer as they dim to emulate an incandescent bulb.

For audio gear, I usually just replace with whatever was there to begin with. It's a non-issue.

On the other hand, the LED street lights that the city has installed everywhere are terrible. I find they don't illuminate very well at all, especially in the rain, and I have had too many close calls with pedestrians who can't be seen until you're practically on top of them.

In the snow and fog part of the problem is clear. They throw a very directional cone of light with a very sharp cutoff.

Back
Top Bottom