Trail Running Shoes - What's your favorite?

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by meggy, Sep 27, 2016.

1. meggy

meggy AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've tried lots and lots of them but I guess my favorite is La Sportiva's Ultra Raptor GTX. They are extremely light, 12ozw each, have the regular shoelaces, and grip rock like crazy. I was amazed at how long the soles hold out as I thought I'd rip right through the little nubbies in one or two uses but they actually last pretty long.

My only problem with them (and most of the shoes out there these days), is the upper front sections being made out of mesh material. They start out pretty sturdy but after a dozen or so heavy uses end up being a real problem for my feet turning sideways inside of them. Anyone conquered that problem in a shoe?

6260c0dc-ceff-4811-9f53-560bfab26494.jpeg BLA.jpg
    f0649709-0ae4-4269-9151-4d918f8088df.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. ilusndweller

ilusndweller Addicted Member

Perhaps look into Montrail. My friend Catra Corbett (who may run more miles than any woman in the world, all off road) uses them. She swore by them before they started sponsoring her.

La Sportiva makes very nice shoes, they were my favorite brand of climbing shoes (rubber not as sticky as 5.10 but firmer and lasts longer).

KentTeffeteller likes this.
  3. Hobie1dog

Hobie1dog Super Member

4. meggy

I've tried them on but the height they add from the cushioning kind of puts me off balance. Maybe I need to field test them.

5. onepixel

onepixel .

I like NorthFace and burned through two pairs. Currently I have La Sportiva and Montrail in rotation. I've never had any problems with trail runners.

6. meggy

Although I just ordered a fresh pair of Sportiva's, I've been looking at the pics and specs of Montrail (Columbia), Interesting product line. Which ones do you guys have? I'd like to see if my local REI has any decent ones to try on.

7. onepixel

onepixel .

I bought my Montrail Mountain Masochist, last year. It's now Columbia Montrail MOUNTAIN MASOCHIST™ III OUTDRY™. Looks the same except for the logo and color.

Last year, I also got the La Sportiva, Wildcat Trail-Running shoes. REI has them on sale for 50% off. To bad the sizes are to small.

My Montrails are a 1/2 size smaller than the La Sportivas, but are actually are a hair longer because of the bigger heel.