Transcendent Sound Masterpiece preamp discussion thread

CKDC

Hi all,

I started this thread to discuss the Transcendent Sound Masterpiece preamp.

http://www.transcendentsound.com/Masterpiece.html

I have been on a low level search to find a pre amp that will serve me for years to come. I learned of this recently and am interested.

I was told by Bruce Rozenblit the owner of Transcendent Sound that it would take an experienced builder some 12 hours to assemble it. He also told me that adding a remote(something I think I want) was not possible.

Anyway, please feel to add to the discussion.

Thanks for your input.

Good info! I'm definitely interested in this unit as well...however I'm a very inexperienced builder. The reviews and the $699 price tag (sans tubes) is very appealing...I guess the deciding factor will be if I decide I'm capable to tackle the build myself, or if I can find a builder at a reasonable price.

No remote sucks but not a deal breaker for me, as long as I'm just using this for stereo and don't have it on all the time, like I would for HT use.

Currently considering this, vs. used Rogue, Line Magnetic, or other comparable brand...or my "ultimate" fascination, the Juicy Music preamps...but those will require some saving up for.

"Transcendent Sound presents the best sounding line stage preamp and headphone amp available, both in one box! " That sounds like hyperbole IMHO, which in my experience with Bruce, is typical.

I put together an OTL amplifier based upon his design. He used similar, effusive terms for his own design, but I found it to be pretty mediocre, with at least one important design flaw. So color me a skeptic when modest Bruce reviews his own gear.

Yes, a remote can be added. You can find an ALPS pot with a motor, and a complete kit from folks like Mikkel Simonsen.

Somewhat disappointing to hear, but thanks! I was reading some forums yesterday and saw some others say the parts quality wasn't the greatest either...or at least not as good as some other kits they were comparing to. Certainly nice looking pieces from this company. Some have raved about the sound as well.

Somewhat disappointing to hear, but thanks! I was reading some forums yesterday and saw some others say the parts quality wasn't the greatest either...or at least not as good as some other kits they were comparing to. Certainly nice looking pieces from this company. Some have raved about the sound as well.

In all fairness I haven't heard the piece, and I don't know if it meets Bruce's claims. But for me, once burned, twice shy . . .

OTL Amp Final.jpg
OTL7.jpg

^^^What do you mean by that?

What are you using for a pre amp?

The photos are of my scratch build of Rozenblit's "The Transcendent OTL," showing the incredible complexity. This was the most complicated amp I've ever built, with eight separate power supplies.

Modest Bruce touted it as follows: This is it! It doesn't get any better than this. If you want clarity, detail, resolution and accuracy, nothing beats an OTL . . . this is the best OTL there is."

Well, to my ears, and to the others who listened to it in different settings with different sources and speakers, the "best OTL" was undistinguished, perhaps even mediocre.

I'm using my own preamp, which incorporates several different circuits:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/buzzs-ultimate-pre.452257/

I haven't tried the OTL with this pre, but I will on Sunday, in the company of many listeners.

Last edited:
You've got to be kidding! ''Only $699'' ?? Without tubes?? For a crappy aluminum box with a couple of toroid's bolted on top with a relay, and a bunch of unlabeled jacks on the back?? I would have been ashamed to build something that looked like that in my high school electronics class,let alone as a company offering.

I believe that for $699 (And that's in US Dollars!Compared to the Canadian model,those things are HUGE:() you can do far,far better than this amateurish lash-up.

Have you considered the "Truth" preamp? There's nothing else like it.

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RECENT.html#March

That's quite the read. Even if I can't/don't go with The Truth, he has some good recommendations for a few other pieces of gear.

I say CAN'T go with the Truth because he makes it sound like it's only appropriate for some systems...where the source signal is strong enough not to need gain, only volume attenuation, if I remember correctly (I read it yesterday, too busy to read it again right now).

The Coincident Line Stage he recommended...WOW. There is one for sale right now too...only $4k! The Pass Labs in his "Class B" recommendations might be worth checking out though.

The whole Bolero test thing is interesting too...I'd have to read it again very carefully before I give it a try. Ever do it? You ever used or heard The Truth?

The photos are of my scratch build of Rozenblit's "The Transcendent OTL," showing the incredible complexity. This was the most complicated amp I've ever built, with eight separate power supplies.

Modest Bruce touted it as follows: This is it! It doesn't get any better than this. If you want clarity, detail, resolution and accuracy, nothing beats an OTL . . . this is the best OTL there is."

Well, to my ears, and to the others who listened to it in different settings with different sources and speakers, the "best OTL" was undistinguished, perhaps even mediocre.

I'm using my own preamp, which incorporates several different circuits:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/buzzs-ultimate-pre.452257/

I haven't tried the OTL with this pre, but I will on Sunday, in the company of many listeners.

As someone who actually owns the masterpiece, I couldn't disagree with your opinions of Bruce and his products more. One scratch build of what Amp? Bruce's latest designs are a result of years of OTL development. I don't even recognize the design you posted, it looks ancient. Review product you actually own. Simply saying I don't like the Masterpiece because I don't like a scratch build is completely unfounded.

The man who designed the "truth preamp" ED Schilling, is a diehard member of the Transcendent sound forum and has built several Masterpieces. He claims it's the best preamp he's ever heard!

You've got to be kidding! ''Only $699'' ?? Without tubes?? For a crappy aluminum box with a couple of toroid's bolted on top with a relay, and a bunch of unlabeled jacks on the back?? I would have been ashamed to build something that looked like that in my high school electronics class,let alone as a company offering.

I believe that for $699 (And that's in US Dollars!Compared to the Canadian model,those things are HUGE:() you can do far,far better than this amateurish lash-up.

Yet Another example of a baseless opinion. Have you heard a masterpiece? No. Or you wouldn't be whining about looks.

As someone who actually owns the masterpiece, I couldn't disagree with your opinions of Bruce and his products more. One scratch build of what Amp? Bruce's latest designs are a result of years of OTL development. I don't even recognize the design you posted, it looks ancient. Review product you actually own. Simply saying I don't like the Masterpiece because I don't like a scratch build is completely unfounded.

The man who designed the "truth preamp" ED Schilling, is a diehard member of the Transcendent sound forum and has built several Masterpieces. He claims it's the best preamp he's ever heard!

It's a scratch build of HIS circuit. You can find the circuit in his modestly titled book, Audio Reality. Sorry you don't recognize the design, but its published.

As an execution, it could be considered MY masterpiece, too. I faithfully executed a design that he touted; it did not live up to the hype, and so I am gun-shy about believing similar claims he has made for other things he has built. Did I point out that it was not fair, because I hadn't actually heard his preamp? Yes I did. What it all means is that I don't believe Bruce based upon my own experience, and I will have to hear a completed circuit built by someone else before I invest the time, energy, and money in either buying or building it. Is that patently unreasonable?

Your mileage may vary, and that's cool.

I'm confused about one thing you wrote. This "Truth" preamp -- that was designed but Schilling, not Rosenblit, right? So what is the significance that he is a diehard member of the "Transcendent Sound Forum"? Does that distinction lend him some credence or expertise? Is the forum some magician's inner circle, or a font of audio esoterica? Please explain.

It's a scratch build of HIS circuit. You can find the circuit in his modestly titled book, Audio Reality. Sorry you don't recognize the design, but its published.

As an execution, it could be considered MY masterpiece, too. I faithfully executed a design that he touted; it did not live up to the hype, and so I am gun-shy about believing similar claims he has made for other things he has built. Did I point out that it was not fair, because I hadn't actually heard his preamp? Yes I did. What it all means is that I don't believe Bruce based upon my own experience, and I will have to hear a completed circuit built by someone else before I invest the time, energy, and money in either buying or building it. Is that patently unreasonable?

Your mileage may vary, and that's cool.

I'm confused about one thing you wrote. This "Truth" preamp -- that was designed but Schilling, not Rosenblit, right? So what is the significance that he is a diehard member of the "Transcendent Sound Forum"? Does that distinction lend him some credence or expertise? Is the forum some magician's inner circle, or a font of audio esoterica? Please explain.

Audio reality? Those designs are from years and years ago. Have you even been on his site? Things change over time. Someone on this thread recommended the truth as an alternative. I should have posted that response separately.

You are still without exposure to the masterpiece. Hear one and then come back and apologize.

Come on people. Lets keep this an informational learning experience.

With Pleasure. I've got about 400+ hours on mine now. What I really like about this pre-amp is its ability to reveal detail without glare. it's not tubey and warm like many tube preamps. Its fast, punchy, removes digital harshness. And is one hell of a good headphone amp. In fact allot of guys are building it strictly for headphone use. I wouldn't call it a beginner's build, But there is lots of help on transcendent sound forum should a person get stuck. And there are guys in the community who will build it for you if you don't have the time or skill. The 300b is a very durable and long lasting tube. Not cheap unfortunately. But definitely worth it. Bruce is always moving forward with his design's, And this one is a winner.

Yet Another example of a baseless opinion. Have you heard a masterpiece? No. Or you wouldn't be whining about looks.

Baseless opinion? I think not.

You seem to be a purveyor of baseless statements and opinions.How do you know whether I've heard this so-called ''masterpiece'' ? Maybe I have,and have come to the conclusion that it is,in fact,an overpriced piece of junk.

Maybe I'm also taking into consideration depreciation and resale value,things you'll take quite a hit on when trying to unload what appears to be a poorly executed science fair project,regardless of ''how good it sounds''.

Oh,and fyi: I really don't care how good a product sounds.When it looks as silly and as poorly thought out as this one does (and as do all of the others shown on that website) I really have to question the overall quality and integrity of the product.

I have cleaned up this thread, and anymore bickering or name-calling and down the tubes it goes!
Regards,
Jim

Back
Top Bottom