Transcriptor Skeleton Restoration

mrichmond3d

I just picked up a Transcriptor Skeleton Turntable off my local Craigslist. At first glance, it appears to be in decent condition but will definitely need some restoration. It looks like I'm missing a few parts. The hinges are missing, a couple feet are gone, and one cap for the plinth suspension is not there. The feet and the plinth suspension cap seem like they'll be possible to live without and use a suitable replacement from McMaster but the hinges are going to be difficult. I'm thinking there probably aren't many spares out there so I may need to get another set machined. I've read some negative things about contacting the new Transcriptor company/son of the founder. Any other recommendations?

Here's the first photo. I'll post more as I get into it.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 151
Here are a few more photos I took this weekend. Also got a Radio Craftsmen C400 mono amp in the deal that you can see in a couple of the photos. You can see the missing hinges, cap and feet in these. Also, it looks like the plinth has a repair near one of the three suspension columns. The tonearm is completely loose and dropped to it's lowest position. I'll need to get the manual to get it back to it's proper location. The belt is also very dry and loose but a new one was easy to source and is on it's way.

Attachments

• IMG_4984.JPG
    IMG_4984.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_4985.JPG
    IMG_4985.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_4986.JPG
    IMG_4986.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_4987.JPG
    IMG_4987.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_4988.JPG
    IMG_4988.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4989.JPG
    IMG_4989.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4990.JPG
    IMG_4990.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4991.JPG
    IMG_4991.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_4993.JPG
    IMG_4993.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4994.JPG
    IMG_4994.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 121
Got one of those myself. Don’t believe everything you read. I had good success dealing with the company and Mr Gammons. Sent me a brace, hinge pins and a tonearm bearing. Made my unit complete.

Got one of those myself. Don’t believe everything you read. I had good success dealing with the company and Mr Gammons. Sent me a brace, hinge pins and a tonearm bearing. Made my unit complete.
Thanks MRL_Audio! I'll reach out and see how it goes. That's just the kind of info I need.

Great info on the tonearm FONSguy. Seems like different thickness records and warps could really affect VTA with the pivot so close to the head shell.

Looking at it in person, it makes sense. It actually works a lot like the old Shure M12 that came with my Thorens 124.

The Infinity Black Widow was a less quirky approach to low mass, the Dynavector 505 went the other way with the hinged head vertical mass reduction. The unique cart carrier on the Linatrack LT applied it to a servo radial tracking arrangement.

Or pick up an Infinity Black Widow. It's a drop in replacement for the SME, so an easy swap in- swap out.

I own one of these and the Vestigal tone arm connection to the suspension came in 2 different types. I have the earlier version, which is what you have. There is a slot that the tone arm attaches to. The latter version is a fixed attachment point on a round platter. You can find photos of these 2 types. The problem is trying to figure out where to position the tone arm on this slot when setting it up. There are many photos on the internet and the tone arm is in different locations on the slot, though most are all the way in the back. I bought a tone arm tracking alignment disc from ebay to help, but it is very frustrating. Also, there is very little room on the vertical shaft to raise the tone arm to the proper height (approx. 1 inch above the record surface). The string from the head shell to the back has to have enough slack for the cartridge needle to stay in contact with the record groove, especially for warps. Also, you need to be sure that the 2 prongs that stick out for moving the belt for speed adjustment (33 & 45) do not touch the belt when the turntable is in use. The spring suspension on the motor is a pain to adjust properly for the motor to be level and provide belt clearance space for the prongs. You might want to put a piece of thick cloth under the turntable when it is set up to help prevent vibration transfer noise. I have a Grado Gold on mine. I gave up trying to get the optimum (in my opinion) tone arm alignment and just gave up. Anyway, it works fine as it is and the records sound fine. I guess there is a lot of 'slop' error in setting up the tone arm. Enough running commentary for now.

Thanks joe_tex for the info!

I just removed the tonearm on Friday and was thinking about how much of a pain it was doing to be to set it up correctly! I think the motor is fairly level but something is off with the threaded rods that it mounts to; the cover plate sits askew. I'm missing the dust cover hinges and one top cap for a suspension mount. I can probably make something work for the cap but I need to get someone to send me a few key dimensions and a couple photos of the machined hinges. I'm happy to send any part dims to anyone who needs info on parts I have.

I have the same table and can help with dimensions. Have you tried reaching out to Transcriptors and see if they can provide the parts you need? I have been fortunate to get some parts from there with little effort.

I have a Vestigal arm mounted on a Kenwood KD-2500. Takes a while to set up but it's worth it.
By the way, all of the tonearm wires on the one here are white. Can't tell left from right without an ohmmeter but the grounds are common.

White cartridge wires. Never understand that. I had mine rewired because they were very brittle. Helped that they are also colored properly.

Back
Top Bottom