Transformers for DIY SUT

bjlefebvre

Having built a phono amp and a passive preamp, I'm getting the itch again. I thought I might try my hand at building an SUT for my Denon 103 and 301 MK II. I know the Cinemags are popular, but am wondering what else might make a good candidate - I see that 1:20 might be the optimal winding ratio to accommodate both carts. And are the Cinemag 1254 enough of an improvement over the 3440A to warrant costing double the price?

lundahl is mentioned as well as a number of vintage transformers probably used for microphones. I don't know enough about those and one would need to determine which models were good for an SUT.

Reviving this thread. I've built SUTs using the entry-level Cinemags, Beyerdynamics TR/BV 370 215 006 and Harman Kardon XT3s. I really liked the latter two - the Cinemags were all right, but for some reason left me kind of "meh." Not bad by any means, just not much better than the Tavish phono amp MC section. I'm thinking of trying the Lundahls next. Anyone have recommendations which would work best for a Denon 103R, the LL1678 or the LL9226?

There is a fellow on the DIYaudio forum selling Cinemag 1254 sets for 185.00 a set, that's half list price. He is a long time member or I would have never taken the chance at that price. I just PP him. Must have bought a large lot of them.

BillWojo

Here is more info on the Cinemag 1254 taken from the Cinemag website. Bob's Devices used the CM-1131 on his TOTL unit that sold for 1200 bucks and got rave reviews.

"The CM-1254 is the replacement part for the CM-1131. The CM-1131 is hand made by David Geren while the CM-1254 is manufactured on the factory floor. The CM-1254 does go through final test by Mr. Geren"

BillWojo

Back
Top Bottom