Transistor Paste

Reviving this discussion ...

So I have to replace the Power Pack in a Pioneer SX-580.
Going to use a Thermal-compound from Arctic Silver.

I called the Arctic Silver Customer Service Phone# 559.740.0912 (Voice) and Press "2" for the Tech Guys.
Asked the Question: I have to replace the power-pack/transistor in an older Stereo Receiver; This can Not be electrically conductive or capacitive.
>> which compound do I need to use Arctic Alumina or Céramique-2 ?
... And without hesitation the guy at Arctic Silver said (quite emphatically) "You need to use the Céramique-2, do Not use any of the other compounds."

There we go! Straight from the Vendor.
> If your going with Arctic Silver, use the Céramique-2 compound.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/cmq2.html

You're all welcome :-D

I remember reading somewhere here that a poster said the Arctic Silver stuff wasn't conductive for a while but after the carrier dried out a bit it became conductive and blew some stuff up. Now with the manufacturer backing it up I'd say just go with the regular white stuff and if you insist on being fancy pants get the ceramic.

I've been using Tech Spray non silicone thermal paste forever and like it a lot (I got a few tubes from a job I used to work at and am likely set for life). It's gooey, messy, gets all over the place and somehow you will find a big glob of it on your elbow hours after you've been out of the shop, just like thermal paste should be.
It also seems to help conduct heat and never dries out like some pastes.

I must take back some of my FIRST findings about Arctic Silver (5 I think), DO NOT USE IT ON energized (hot heat sink) EQUIPMENT!

When the paste dries out, it becomes CONDUCTIVE! and may cause the amplifier to fail!

Using any NON-SILVER bearing paste fixed this problem (I did poste this in some other thread I think).

Mark T. :music:

Reviving this discussion ...

So I have to replace the Power Pack in a Pioneer SX-580.
Going to use a Thermal-compound from Arctic Silver.

I called the Arctic Silver Customer Service Phone# 559.740.0912 (Voice) and Press "2" for the Tech Guys.
Asked the Question: I have to replace the power-pack/transistor in an older Stereo Receiver; This can Not be electrically conductive or capacitive.
>> which compound do I need to use Arctic Alumina or Céramique-2 ?
... And without hesitation the guy at Arctic Silver said (quite emphatically) "You need to use the Céramique-2, do Not use any of the other compounds."

There we go! Straight from the Vendor.
> If your going with Arctic Silver, use the Céramique-2 compound.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/cmq2.html

You're all welcome :-D
as far as i am aware the backing plate is isolated on stk packs so it doesn't matter .

Use the Sil-Pads their much easier to apply less messy. And they work. Mica? Poopy
Oh and; Their not considered hazardous material.

Years back ,I remember getting some units to service that had been serviced post purchase and the tech before me used a grease that was blue in color. I saw this on more than one unit. Has anyone else seen this blue silicone grease, who makes it and is or was it any good for output transistors?

AFAIK that it dries out is not a problem for the heat transfer. It's only a problem if you take it apart and try to reuse it. In that case it will not flow properly to fill the tiny voids.

That's good to know. If the transistors haven't been disturbed is it a waste to remove them and replace the grease? I will typically do that when going through an amp because, well, I just thought it was what we're supposed to do.

.. If the transistors haven't been disturbed is it a waste to remove them and replace the grease? ...

As I understand it that is correct. That presumes the original job was done correctly. If it's a vintage unit still working, generally speaking, IMO that would be a safe assumption.

If it has gathered dust on it or looks dry and is crumbling, I replace it even if I am not replacing the transistors.

I only use Japanese white silicone heat transfer compound. Have done forever. A giant tube lasts me a decade or more.

There's no issue with using arctic silver on IMST STK modules however if you must.

(IMST stands for Insulated Metal Substrate Technology- there is no electrical connection to the metal heat transfer plate)

Back
Top Bottom