Transistor Substitution for (don't laugh) a Sanyo DCS-3500K

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by ringading, Sep 9, 2017.

1. ringading

ringading AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks for the pinout - that didn't come up in my google search. I have the SM now and it shows the pinouts.

I don't know what the gain is - the information in my previous post is the most i have been able to find. I will try the KSC945s - I have a couple but will need to pick up some more - there are 12 of them on this board and there aren't any other transistors here - just the capacitors and a couple of resistors which almost never go south.

Aside from the 537s, I can't imagine what else would be happening on this board. Will probably replace the handful of caps here as well while I have access to it. Thankfully it isn't hard to get to.

upload_2017-9-13_23-43-9.png

Oldsansui441 likes this.
  2. Oldsansui441

Oldsansui441 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yeah good idea to do all of the transistors and caps on this board while you have it out. I would be fairly confident that the KSC945's will work if the gain is similar but it will be a bit of a pain to have to cross the legs over for correct pinout.

All the best and let us know how it all goes.

3. redk9258

redk9258 Super Member

Would KSC945C be better? Suffix ā€œ-Cā€ means Center Collector (1. Emitter 2. Collector 3. Base)

Oldsansui441 likes this.
  4. Oldsansui441

Oldsansui441 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Good call redk9258 :thumbsup:, l had in the back of my mind that you could get some in that orientation but wasn't sure if it was the case for the KSC945's, obviously l didn't study the datasheet enough to see the mention of "C" suffix :rolleyes:. That would make life much easier for ringading's repair l am sure.

5. ringading

The 945s I had were center collector so no issues there.

I checked (all good) and replaced all of the transistors on the SQ board and the problem still persists - little to no sound on the rear channels in any of the 4-channel modes.

Not sure where to check next. Sounds good in 2-channel mode and in the front channels when in 4-channel mode. I don't think the problem would lie in the CD-4 board as the problem is in Matrix, SQ and CD-4 modes.

One thing I noticed is that the control for the left rear channel has a lot of bad noise in in even though I have cleaned it a few times. The only other board I have not checked is the EQ board but I would assume that I would have problems on the front channels if a transistor was failing on that board.

6. ringading

Coming back around to this after thinking about it for some time. I recapped the SQ board and replaced all of the transistors even though the originals all tested okay.

I am beginning to suspect the Meter Board. Strange name as this is a small board that contains the pots for each of the individual channels. Channel 1 has lots of noise when rotated even though I cleaned it several times. Meter for Channel 1 jumps around when this happens as well. Also I noticed that Meter for Channel 4 starts out high and then settles down once I work through the 4-Channel options.

There isn't much on this board - looks like just one cap, three resistors and two diodes for each one. I am thinking that perhaps the germanium diodes may have gone south. I have yet to pull the board as it is crammed in below the meters and is going to be a PITA to get out requiring some desoldering of the leads that go to each of the meters.

The two diodes are 1S188FM and DS430. I haven't worked a lot with diodes but it sounds like the 1S188 is a germanium. I plan on pulling the diodes and testing them - do you test germaniums the same way you do a normal diode? Any suggestions on a replacement for this one and/or the DS430?

upload_2017-10-12_21-40-28.png