Transmission RandR next weekend

beowolf9

Well the 4L60E trans in my '99 Silverado finally gave up last week just shy of 262,000 miles. Having one built to replace it. Getting the improved 3-4 shift solenoids and upgraded clutch packs. With new T/C the all in price is $950.00, with a 36 month 36000 mile warranty. Other than the usual headaches associated with this type of repair, is there anything I should be on the lookout for? It's going to be a real fun job in the driveway with temps in the mid 90's and heat index approaching 110. Luckily I have some good friends to lend a hand, but the beer bill might be expensive! All necessary tools are at hand (ramps, jack stands, trans jack, air tools, compressor, etc.) to make a PITA job go as smoothly as possible. The truck is in real good shape body wise having been a southern truck its whole life, otherwise I would sell it or scrap it. The 5.3L motor is original and holds 50 lbs oil pressure at idle, runs like a sewing machine and has plenty of power, so I don't want to get rid of it considering the price of new and newer used trucks these days. Wish me luck and a quick turn around on this task. It's not going to be as easy as it was when I was in my 20's and 30's since I am in my 60's now, but I won't let it get the best of me if I can help it!!

You have my sympathies. I know exactly what you are going through.

Right now, I'm in the middle of a head gasket job on a Kia Rio, and then I have to get my F250 back together. I bought the truck supposedly just needing a clutch, but it ended up needing a motor too.:rolleyes: I bought a rust bucket donor truck for the motor, and I need to get it pulled out and then get everything switched over. Like you, I'm forced to do it all in the driveway. Still, $4500 total in a decent 4x4 3/4 ton pickup is better than $60k for a new one.

I read your post on the head gasket shims. I suppose it may work ok, just no experience doing it. I totally agree with you about keeping my old truck going as long as possible. I'm the 3rd owner and with the trans cost I'll have about $3800 in her. A whole lot cheaper to keep her!

I don't envy you beowolf. In my younger days I did a lot of wrenching and wouldn't think twice about taking on a tranny re and re. Now that I'm 58 and getting old and stiff there's no way I'd do it now. I don't even like working on my Belair and I flat out won't touch a thing on my 01 Silverado other than an oil change. The last mechanical work I did was about 4 years ago on the Belair, water pump,fuel pump, and carb rebuild. I used to like doing that stuff but now I dread it. It's to the point I might sell the Belair to a local guy that's been bugging me about it now for a few years, before something else breaks on it that I'd have to fix. It sucks getting old!!! I hope it all goes well for you beowolf.

If it were me I would start working on removing the exhaust early, so you know what gets broken and can order the needed parts at the best price.

When I looked to see what type of job this is I ran across this.

http://www.wwdsltd.com/4L60/4L60ERemoval.html

Oh yea, stretching before crawling on the ground is recommended, that and a bottle of Advil.

I thought 99 would still be a 5.7 ?

If the PWM lockup can be disabled, do that. It makes it feel like there is a fifth gear engagement but it makes the converter clutch last longer since it doesn't slide in and out of engagement. When the 4L60E in my S10 broke the planetary set around 125k, it was rebuilt with all of the heavy duty stuff. Corvette shift servos, the heavy duty clutches, and the PWM disabled. Its a vastly over-built transmission for a 2wd S10 with a V6 but the upgrade parts cost the same as the standard stuff, and the guy that did the trans told me he only wants repeat customers, not repeat repairs.

If you've got the trans out, now would be the time to do a rear main seal if there is any seeping going on. I can't remember if SBC engines have core plugs on the back of the cylinder heads, but if they do, give them a good look for the same reason. Basically look at everything you can't get to again once the trans goes in. Drive shaft would also get checked out, no better time to do U joints or carrier bearings than when its already out of the truck. Same on the pinion seal for the diff.

I have a bad case of "while I'm in here", mostly because I hate opening things back up that I've already worked on. The amount of extra I go to does depend on how annoying it will be to open up again though. A rear main seal would take priority over a pinion seal, but only because a driveshaft is way easier to pull than a transmission.

If you've got the trans out, now would be the time to do a rear main seal if there is any seeping going on. I can't remember if SBC engines have core plugs on the back of the cylinder heads, but if they do, give them a good look for the same reason. Basically look at everything you can't get to again once the trans goes in. Driveshaft would also get checked out, no better time to do U joints or carrier bearings than when its already out of the truck. Same on the pinion seal for the diff.

This!

'99 was the first year for the newer body style, and the 5.3 motor IIRC.
In 99 they also did some hold overs of the old body style with the 5.7 under the hood. I know because I bought one new back in the day, and it was the biggest lemon I've ever owned I sold it with 1000K left on the warranty, lost over $1300 on it and was glad to see it go. ;)beau08.jpg

Hi 55Redneck & all,

I'm your age and was getting the same over a year ago with pain in knees a nd hip, and found about Lectins & someone else I know said looking at Lectins helped him after I told him to change his diet for other health problems he was having. I feel great now with no pain and can work on things like I did in my 30's.

Gundry is selling pills to help , but if you read his info on the web, he says you don't need them if you follow his advice on diet. It may be hard to give up wheat, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, beans,squash, corn , peanuts etc. but once you do it's amazing! I use white rice as it has the least lectins of the grains and I can't seem to handle even white flour from wheat.

I eat fish only now , but stay away from farm fed, but it's hard to tell as they cheat on that, but I know as it makes me very ill! Wallmart brand canned salmon is good as they changed to a safe can lining also. The can lining from even big name brands of salmon causes frequent urination for me so I was really like some elderly you see with the problem.

Once you feel better you will get more exercise as you will feel like doing more so helping your health further!

https://gundrymd.com/reduce-lectins-diet/

Last edited:
In 99 they also did some hold overs of the old body style with the 5.7 under the hood. I know because I bought one new back in the day, and it was the biggest lemon I've ever owned I sold it with 1000K left on the warranty, lost over $1300 on it and was glad to see it go. ;)View attachment 1240917
IIRC, some of the heavier duty trucks were still available past 2000 with the older body style and engines, too.

A million miles left on the warranty?:eek::D

Hi 55Redneck & all,

I'm your age and was getting the same over a year ago with pain in knees a nd hip, and found about Lectins & someone else I know said looking at Lectins helped him after I told him to change his diet for other health problems he was having. I feel great now with no pain and can work on things like I did in my 30's.

Gundry is selling pills to help , but if you read his info on the web, he says you don't need them if you follow his advice on diet. It may be hard to give up wheat, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, beans,squash, corn , peanuts etc. but once you do it's amazing! I use white rice as it has the least lectins of the grains and I can't seem to handle even white flour from wheat.

I eat fish only now , but stay away from farm fed, but it's hard to tell as they cheat on that, but I know as it makes me very ill! Wallmart brand canned salmon is good as they changed to a safe can lining also. The can lining from even big name brands of salmon causes frequent urination for me so I was really like some elderly you see with the problem.

Once you feel better you will get more exercise as you will feel like doing more so helping your health further!

https://gundrymd.com/reduce-lectins-diet/
Thanks for trying to help Shadowdog but your food to give up list is over half my diet. I'd rather feel old and sore than be down to a fish and rice diet,No thanks. :p

Thanks for trying to help Shadowdog but your food to give up list is over half my diet. I'd rather feel old and sore than be down to a fish and rice diet,No thanks. :p

Ha!! I take so many pills I don't even have to eat food anymore:)

I would swap another tranny into my daughter's car but I think I'm past the age of getting in over my head--I now get frustrated too easily and don't have the patience I used to. I already have a cylinder head to replace here on another car, after some point in mid August when I'm back home. I also have to do this in the driveway. Not fun.

Oh yea, stretching before crawling on the ground is recommended, that and a bottle of Advil.
In addition to the Advil, I've taken to doing a double shot of tequila (the good stuff) before doing any work on the cars. Seems that things go much smoother, with fewer frustrations and profanities. :D

In addition to the Advil, I've taken to doing a double shot of tequila (the good stuff) before doing any work on the cars. Seems that things go much smoother, with fewer frustrations and profanities. :D
Usually the drinking comes after working on a vehicle. By then you are too frustrated to do anything else.:biggrin:

Maybe that's why I don't work on vehicles as much as I used to. I quit drinking a few years ago.

Usually the drinking comes after working on a vehicle. By then you are too frustrated to do anything else.:biggrin:

Maybe that's why I don't work on vehicles as much as I used to. I quit drinking a few years ago.
:thumbsup:

I don't drink often, but that little nip before the work takes the edge off. And then, only if it's a really involved job. Something simple like an oil change, etc., I won't bother.

I think I'd better purchase another bottle of my favorite before I tackle the cylinder head... :D Rusted bolts and nuts, working in tight spaces, and an inevitable late August heat wave (or rain) will probably try my patience...

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I'm putting in a rebuilt trans with the upgrades mentioned above. I was under the truck today spraying the head pipe studs with PB Blaster to hopefully get the exhaust off without breaking the manifold studs. Going to hit them every day until Friday. Didn't see any leaking seals while under there, but will check the rear main when the trans is out. Hopefully all will be dry.

Back
Top Bottom