1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Transport screws?

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by janikphoto, Apr 19, 2017.

1. janikphoto

janikphoto Lunatic Member

I am putting this in the D&S section, because it deals with shipping a vintage CD player after a sale. How many of you have found shipping screws for turntables or cd players that you sold? I just sold a vintage Magnavox FD2040 on the bay, and I would like to secure the laser transport before I box set up. However, I cannot find a manual or any info online that tells what size screws I should buy. Should I not worry about transport screws, or should I take this up to the local Home Depot and start test fitting screws until I find one?

2. darkblue94

darkblue94 It wasn't me. Subscriber

They're metric of course, probably M5 or M6 and whatever length is appropriate. It would be best to lock down the laser transport when shipping. Take the CD player with you to the hardware store and find the proper fitting machine screw.

janikphoto likes this.
  3. bashman

bashman AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've bought used Denons -- a DCD-1000 and DCD-1500 and in the bottom was a small storage slot for the transport screw, which was there in both cases -- nice touch. I'd be sure to get one for the Magnavox so as to make sure it arrives in as good of condition as possible.

darkblue94 and janikphoto like this.
  4. janikphoto

janikphoto Lunatic Member

I couldn't find transports cruise that would fit. It looks like it may take an M3 at 2 inches long. Nobody local had that. iBox the heck out of this thing and got insurance, so hopefully it will arrive and provide years of service for the new owner.

dosmalo likes this.
  5. dosmalo

dosmalo T-Totaled Subscriber

Sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

janikphoto likes this.
  6. darkblue94

darkblue94 It wasn't me. Subscriber

I've bought those screws at ACE Hardware stores, they are much better for hardware than Home Depot, Lowes etc. Maybe the laser will survive the trip, maybe it won't.

janikphoto likes this.
  7. jdurbin1

jdurbin1 Tandberg enthusiast Subscriber

I bought a bunch of those transport screws for use with Tandberg 3015A players, think it'd work on your Magnavox - dimensions sound the same, and they're both using Philips CDM transports which have those threaded inserts on the corners.

LMK if you need a pair, I have the washers as well.

John