Tri-Flow for Scratchy Pots

There is a repair tech nearby with a shop and he recommended Tri-Flo - said he uses it himself. My "complaint" at the time was a rotary switch had gotten ornery and was hard to turn after I used DeOxit, followed by Fader Lube.

I bought some Tri-Flo at an auto parts store but haven't used it yet and that was about a year ago. This thread piqued my interest so will give it a try. Nothing to lose and I do have have it on hand.

OK,... Since this thread was bumped, and, long forgotten, an update; we're almost four years later with no circuit board meltdown, and, still no scratchy pot.

Tri-FLow is 40% thicker mineral oils, some surfactant, plus PTFE (tradename Teflon). The solvents, mostly naptha (aka deodorized kerosene) might attack the resistive element in some potentiometers, so I'd be a bit wary of that. Also, the sprays tend to travel.

Anything which reduces friction will keep the wiper from bouncing around.

I've been lubricating with SuperLube silicone grease which contains PTFE. Nice big dollop, makes the potentiometer smoothly move and adds a bit of resistance so it stays put.

I use Tri-flow almost everyday at work, have cans and cans of it in my truck, and use the drip bottles for rebuilding locks.. Idk if I’d use it on my audio gear... Deox-it has always worked for me.. :)

Back
Top Bottom