1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Trimming one output on a two output C-47 preamp

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by beansprout, Nov 7, 2018.

1. beansprout

beansprout New Member

McIntosh C47 preamp question:
    My preamp has two outputs which I currently have setup with two separate amplifiers. The amplifiers power two sets of speakers in the same room. My dilemma is that one set of speakers are more efficient than the second set, 92db vs 88 db. I was wondering if there is a way I can limit the output to the higher efficiency speakers to get them to balance out better? I read over the owners manual but there is nothing indicating that the two outputs can be "trimmed", but hopefully i'm missing something.
    Thanks!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jlovda

jlovda Things I loved from the 60's and 70's Subscriber

Silly question. Don't the amplifiers have their own input level controls?

3. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music Subscriber

Not if they are modern Mc amps, they haven't had input level controls for nearly 20 years....

4. jblnut

jblnut Don't Overthink It Subscriber

Sounds like a great opportunity to upgrade to some older amps ;-)

jblnut

5. beansprout

beansprout New Member

I think it has "trim" adjustments for the various components that use the inputs to balance out differences e.g. if the tuner is loud compared to the CD input you can trim the tuner back a bit. What i'm looking for is to be able to reduce channel 1 output a bit so there is a more equal output to the two amplifiers. Hopefully I explained myself adequately.

6. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music Subscriber

As far as I am aware there are only trim adjustments for the inputs not for the outputs.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. savatage1973

savatage1973 Addicted Member

You can add a variable resistor right before the output jacks. If you look at the service manual for a Carver C-1 preamp, the procedure is detailed in the manual--your Mc can be modded in the same manner. In the Carver, they just recommend a given fixed value to attentuate one (or both) of the pre-outs, but you could easily substitute a variable resistor of appropriate value.

Hope this helps!

8. MACKIE1975

MACKIE1975 Well-Known Member

From the concept it is already not right.
    Mix different speakers then power up at the same time. Just the timbre matching is already bad

9. TSmith8605

TSmith8605 Senile Member Subscriber