TRIO W-45 Integrated EL84 Amplifier

barrynsue

Hi to all,

I have a very nice looking Trio W-45 Integrated amplifier EL84/6BQ5 tubes along with 12AX7 and 12AU7's. I can find no information anywhere and would appreciate any help the group can provide.

It is a beautiful looking piece of audio that I believe is from the mid 60's but that is as much as I can decipher.

Many thanks,

Barry

I have a w 40, they are built like tanks. There was an association with Kenwood. Check my thread in general audio titled trio.

Thanks Jay, I would also like to load a picture but noy sure how to do so. My amp is a beautiful looking unit with a large meter square in the center with large plastic knobs and brass inserts as well as a nice looking Brass faceplate.

Appreciate the reply and if the same offers still stand for those of you who know how to reduce pics, I would be happy to forward.

Barry

Hmmm, I feel a kindred spirit here. You have a trio and don,t know how to reduce pictures and I have a trio and don't know how to reduce pictures. Mine is in pristine condition also. I own quite a few tube amps and have things I like about all of them, but this one is kinda special. The sound is very open and easy to listen to. It's not really a knock your socks off and impress your buddies deal but I can listen to it for hours. If I had to point out a weakness I would say the bass is a little wimpy and I don,t understand why. I have a little Fisher mono el84pp that just punches out bass. I just picked up a bunch of el84's inc. some tlefunken, zenith,etc, even some gold pin Realistics so I,m planning to do some tube rolling. Its got sylvania 12ax7's now which I'm going to swap for some mullards. Oh are the transformers in yours kind of sleek lookin and sorta wrapped in sheet metal? Let me know if you figure out how to squish pics or if you find any info. Later Jay :music:

Fellows, you can send your pics to my gmail account at luvvinvinylATgmailDOTcom, and I will downsize them for you, if you have no photo editing software. There are lots of free ones around, but I can get you through this problem, now, if you like. As for posting pics, please read this:

When you hit ‘Post Reply’, look beneath the text box, for the 'Manage Attachments' button. When you hit that, a window opens, that you can use to browse to the image you want to upload to AK. When the ‘Choose File’ window opens, you select the image, click on ‘Open’, and the path will appear in the box beside the ‘Browse’ button. When you are finished selecting images, up to 5 in number, click on the 'Upload' button, and the picture file(s) will be uploaded to AK’s server. All your upload files should appear in the bottom of the box, before you close the ‘Manage Attachments’ window. When you are finished typing, submit your message. Your picture(s) should appear in the body of your message. With respect to image size, the 'Manage Attachments' window will tell you, at the top of the window, after you attempt to upload, if you have exceeded image size or file size, for AK's server. 900x900 pixels, and about 150 KB, IIRC. You can attach up to 5 pics, and they will appear as thumbnails. This is good for pictures hosted on AK.

If you host your pics elsewhere, you can just hotlink with the 'Insert Hyperlink' button, multiple times above. The disadvantage to that is, if you remove the pics/changes hosts, the pics will be lost to AK.

Hope this helps.

Trio W-45 Integrated amp

Thanks for the offer but HOPEFULLY, I have at least added one pic to the file. If not, I will send you some additional pics for your assistance.

Appreciate the offer!

Barry

Last edited:
Trio W-45

Hey I picked a Trio up yesterday, I had bought one 25 years ago , and liked the sound of it , this one is in nicer shaper , the plastic cover on the meter is intact(!) . Now if someone has a schematic for it...... Ed

mhardy6647 said:
Trio as in Kenwood, or as in h/k "Trio"?

No meter on an H-K "Trio"...I've got one. Hope to post a picture of it and it's matching "Duo" multicast tuner this evening.

--Bob

Trio 45

This is a pic of the one I had. I also had the tuner but no pictures on file at the moment as I lost the motherboard on my Toshiba Notebook 3 days after the warranty was over. Luckily, I saved all my pics to disc but have not loaded them up yet.

Barry

Attachments

• Trio amp.jpg
    Trio amp.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 780
  • Trio 45 2.jpg
    Trio 45 2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 658
Hi, Barrynsue, TRIO was the brand name for "Kenwood" stuff in the 1960's in the US, Best Regards, Martin

Man, I remember this thread. I finally figured how to post pics. :thmbsp: Here's my Trio (embarassingly dusty as it is)

Thanks for the compliments. while it may not have been the best of my pieces, they certainly looked great!

Jay, this was started nearly 6 months agao and Ed brought it back to the forefront. I believe my pics were posted before but somehow went missing. Not sure how long the site hosts pics in a slow topic. Glad you and I both figured out how to post pics.

HI BarrynSue, Yours amp looks just like mine! Do you have a schematic for it? what did you do to refurbish it? types of caps , stuff like that ? Pretty little amp..... Ed

HI BarrynSue,
How about some pic's of the guts of the beast, I would love to see the tube/transformer layout.
Thanks!

Ed, I don't believe that I have any information although I may have stuck a copy away in my files. If so, I will be happy to send you whatever I have.

Since the time that this thread had begun, the Amp and matching tuner has been sold. I don't recall having any pictures of the guts and did no mods as it was working at the time.

I will check my pictures files on disk to see if I may have some internal pics and will be happy to post them should I have them.

You can see the amp and matching tuner on the upper left of the attached picture.

Barry

Attachments

• Barry's Audio and Radio Collection 1.jpg
    Barry's Audio and Radio Collection 1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 399
Speaker Hook up

I happened to pick up a W45 a few weeks ago myself.I am not sure how to hook my 8ohm speakers to it.It has 5 speaker screws for the left and five for the right.The first from the left has nothing written on it, the next has 4ohms, the next 8ohms, the next 16ohms and the last has nothing written on it. There is a red wire coming from inside the amp that is attached to the 16ohm screws.Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom