Trip Hop Music

Tom Tom Club ~ Tom Tom Club

Not sure if this is Trip Hop (?)

It's definitely Post-Disco.

I do not think I would put that in my Trip Hop collection, Alternative Dance Rock maybe? It sure was a fun record and quite the departure from the Talking Heads music of the time. Got played often at parties along with Soft Cell, Was Not Was, B52's, etc.

Who needs to think when your feet just go?

Gravediggaz - Niggamortis

Early Wu Tan Clan members with some sublime dark lyrics and excellent trippy beats.

I do not think I would put that in my Trip Hop collection, Alternative Dance Rock maybe? It sure was a fun record and quite the departure from the Talking Heads music of the time. Got played often at parties along with Soft Cell, Was Not Was, B52's, etc.

Who needs to think when your feet just go?

Yeah, it doesn't really fall into a genre, I've seen it described as "post-disco". Sorry to be off-topic.

Great thread. Looking over the bands and artists mentioned thusfar I feel like I'm home.

The genre thing is kinda crazy. Many bands I like have their style described as trip hop, yet if I try and search out music by genre using trip hop I almost always come up with something I hate. Go figure. It all seems so subjective. Other genres I've heard attached to what I like: ambient, lounge, downtempo, chill .

I do believe what brought me here is a chance stumbling upon Zero 7 about 10 years ago. It's one of those bands that I instantly liked, and passing time hasn't really dulled my liking of them. And it's been fun to branch out and explore some of the individual members of the band, specifically Sia Furler, Sophie Barker, and Tina Dico.... all wonderful. Additionally , even though I'm not really much of a youtube kind of guy, there's some great vids out there of Zero 7 live, and some of the KCRW Morning Becomes Eclectic videos of the band and individual artists (Sia and Tina) are very basic, raw, and just plain kick ass via their honesty. Sophie Barker on the Bing Lounge vids is worthwhile too. There's many more and more keep appearing periodically.

So recapping what I see here so far: Thievery Corp, Morcheeba, Sneaker Pimps, Supreme Beings of Leisure, FC Kahuna.... I'm with you.

The others I'll definitely have to check out.

I'll toss in a couple artists/tracks here:

Ilya Malyuev - Sunshine Flowers

Ulrich Schnauss - Wherever you are

Ulrich Schnauss - Between us and them

A couple CDs I -really- enjoy. New World Ambient 01 and 02. Various artists including Gaudi, Alcyone,Yu, Ishq, Kaya Project, Hibernation, Tripswitch. Mere Mortals, Drift, Spiral system. Nice .....

+1 Morcheeba, Portishead, Sneaker Pimps, Massive Attack

Hooverphonic

Gorillaz

Howie B (great videos)

Roni Size maybe

DJ Shadow Midnight

Last edited:
Ouch :(

Pretty sure saying Morcheba and Gorillaz are more "trip hop" than the precursor to the Wu Tang Clan shows my view on trip hop is off everyone else's here. Despite these all being great albums (my compass is pointing a little further in the other direction) and the fact I acknowledge the albums are also represent a golden age of trip hop.

I think my view on trip hop is driven by my introduction in to Niggamortis and then down the Portishead, Tricky etc path. Not sure I would call Wu Tang "jumped up rap", as I think their role in Rap has been well regarded (whether you like rap or not) and the album I called out certainly was exploring a different sound to the other rap that was around (gangsta). I'm interested in why Roni Size is considered trip hop too, as a stalwart of the UK D&B scene I would have put him in that bucket probably, although he too explored a musical side of that genre too (although I'm not up with his back catalogue too much).

With that in mind my recommendation would be Tricky - Maxinquaye

Edit: googling revealed my definition is off. I'm in the wrong on that front. I still stand by that Gravediggaz album though, I thinks it's great music.

Last edited:
Ouch :(

Pretty sure saying Morcheba and Gorillaz are more "trip hop" than the precursor to the Wu Tang Clan shows my view on trip hop is off everyone else's here. Despite these all being great albums (my compass is pointing a little further in the other direction) and the fact I acknowledge the albums are also represent a golden age of trip hop.
Sorry - I didn't mean to be unwelcoming. Here's some psychedelic soul but the brother calls it hip hop -

A Japanese female singer Nanaco has put out a couple of great hip hop offerings. Got hip to her by accident when I bought her cd in an assorted bin for 99 cents because of the cover. I found another one on amazon on the cheap and dug it too.
Just looked on Amazon and both of these cd's are over 100.00. That's insane.
On ebay sealed Luminous Love in 23 and Love Is the Drug are around 5.00 dollars,those are the 2 I have.

Last edited:
Alex Cortiz is probably closer to house, but he's a master at sampling some
pretty psychiatric stuff...

Last edited:
Got a bunch of the Cafe Del Mar tracks, Massive Attack,
tho I tend to head more towards ambient-chill bands like
Banco de Gaia (Toby Marks) and System 7 (Steve Hillage)
- not sure if they fit the def ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom