Triton X-100 as a record cleaner

grafxdesin

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Does anyone have any info on using this product for record cleaning? I stumbled across it when looking up cleaners for my membrane filters that I use in my winery. It seems to make sense that it would work good on records and there is some info online as well. But I figured why not ask my trusted source, you guys.
I use a Nitty Gritty Mini Pro for cleaning my records and their cleaning solution Pure 2 is not longer available, so I need a good replacement. Which brings me back to the Trinton X-100. Anyone have any experience using it?
Thoughts?

Which brings me back to the Trinton X-100. Anyone have any experience using it?

I have been using my own "home brew" record cleaning solution with a DIY vacuum cleaning machine for years. I use Triton X-100 as the surfactant. It works very well, and does not harm the records. I buy the technical grade (100% strength) and use it sparingly in a solution of distilled water and IPA. I have a fairly extensive chemistry background, and it would not surprise me if most/all of the commercially available record cleaning solutions are using one of the Triton or Tergitol surfactants. Both series of surfactants are used extensively in ordinary household products--from body washes, dish soaps, laundry detergents, shampoos, etc., so safety is not an issue.

For the record (and it is no trade secret), my formula is 1 gallon of distilled water, 32 ounces (one large bottle) of 91% IPA and 1 ounce of technical grade Triton X-100. After cleaning with the solution, I always rinse with straight distilled water. Triton is available on that auction site and via numerous vendors with no regulation, distilled water you can get anywhere, and 91% IPA at any drugstore or pharmacy department--again not regulated. All you need is a clean bucket and a shot glass to whip up a batch (and some empty bottles to store it, which are also available on-line). I don't know if you wear contacts, or know someone who does, but the large (12-16 oz) saline solution bottles work great and are easy to use for record cleaning.

Some folks don't like the idea of the IPA, so you can delete that and replace with another 32 ounces of distilled water. I prefer the IPA because it helps cut grease (fingerprints) and nicotine residues, and acts as a "drying agent"--especially with a vacuum cleaner.

There are a million different "home brew" formulas here and on other sites, so take a peek. I prefer to avoid the ones using laundry or dish soap, since I can get the same surfactant without all of the other additives that may (or may not) leave a residue.

Hope this helps, and Good Luck!!!

It works really well for cleaning records. I believe it does 97% of the work and ultrasonic cleaning will get you that final 3%.

I have been using my own "home brew" record cleaning solution with a DIY vacuum cleaning machine for years. I use Triton X-100 as the surfactant. It works very well, and does not harm the records. I buy the technical grade (100% strength) and use it sparingly in a solution of distilled water and IPA. I have a fairly extensive chemistry background, and it would not surprise me if most/all of the commercially available record cleaning solutions are using one of the Triton or Tergitol surfactants. Both series of surfactants are used extensively in ordinary household products--from body washes, dish soaps, laundry detergents, shampoos, etc., so safety is not an issue.

For the record (and it is no trade secret), my formula is 1 gallon of distilled water, 32 ounces (one large bottle) of 91% IPA and 1 ounce of technical grade Triton X-100. After cleaning with the solution, I always rinse with straight distilled water. Triton is available on that auction site and via numerous vendors with no regulation, distilled water you can get anywhere, and 91% IPA at any drugstore or pharmacy department--again not regulated. All you need is a clean bucket and a shot glass to whip up a batch (and some empty bottles to store it, which are also available on-line). I don't know if you wear contacts, or know someone who does, but the large (12-16 oz) saline solution bottles work great and are easy to use for record cleaning.

Some folks don't like the idea of the IPA, so you can delete that and replace with another 32 ounces of distilled water. I prefer the IPA because it helps cut grease (fingerprints) and nicotine residues, and acts as a "drying agent"--especially with a vacuum cleaner.

There are a million different "home brew" formulas here and on other sites, so take a peek. I prefer to avoid the ones using laundry or dish soap, since I can get the same surfactant without all of the other additives that may (or may not) leave a residue.

Hope this helps, and Good Luck!!!

Nice. No esoteric ingredients and logical proportions. I've been hesitant in being that generous with the IPA because I've been purchasing it from electronics parts stores. I recently learned (as you point out) the same stuff is obtainable at drugstores at a lower cost.

In my first forray into DIY record cleaning solutions, my "research" pointed me towards Kodak Photo-Flo. There seemed to be more pros than cons and I found it locally at (what might be the last) film photography store in the area.

Coincidently I must make a new batch of cleaner for my next session so will adopt your ratios.

I'm using 2.5 ml of Triton in a 500 ml solution of it, ISO, and H20. After vacuuming off the cleaning solution, and applying the first rinse, there is little beading. The second rinse is when I get major beading, so the Triton definitely needs to be rinsed off twice, in my limited use of it. I'm new to this, but so far, I like that the Triton is doing a great job of wetting.

Thanks guys, it took me a minute to figure out what IPA was as I am a craft beer drinker so I automatically thought of India Pale Ale, not isopropyl alcohol. Haha

Thanks guys, it took me a minute to figure out what IPA was as I am a craft beer drinker so I automatically thought of India Pale Ale, not isopropyl alcohol. Haha

You didn't realize you were dealing with "audio chemists". I love me a good IPA (DogFishHead 120), which I buy every year when they make it, or Great Lakes Brewing Elliot Ness, but in this case it is isopropyl alcohol.

Again, I hope this helps--I had been paying $30 per liter for the stuff I used to use, and I can make my own for pennies on the dollar.

Back
Top Bottom