Trouble Shooting my new Home A/V system

EJC1

The more experienced guys may not have a lot of interest in this, but up until a year and a half ago I thought that I was experienced.

I did the attached video because I've seen postings here on issues that have been encountered with the auto setup. I doubt that I will ever use an Auto setup program again. The experience I encountered with this system setup convinced me that I can do better manually.

The system was professionally installed and they screwed up. The pros evaluated the room and again they advised poorly. The room had issues. I had to keep the wife's decorating in mind. And I made some mistakes along the way.

All have now been corrected and the system sounds great. it took a while to get hear but it was a very interesting learning experience.

the System:
Vizio 70" 4K UHD TV
Fisher MT-273 Turntable with Ortofon M-10 cartridge
Yamaha RX-A860 Receiver
Front L&R Speakers: Klipsch Heresy I - complete rebuilds
Front Effects: Martin-Logan Edge in-wall speakers
Center: Klipsch RP-450C
SW: Parts Express Titanic #300 10"

Here's the video on how I went through the system and below it is an audio demo

Last edited:
Yep I agree.....in my experience and opinion I've done far better tweeking manually the sound to my liking and spent many hours over several years getting the sound just right for Stereo listening and for surround sound.

It's not an overnight instant job getting everything just right.

IMG_20180212_012015346.jpg just the configuration alone trying to find the best spot for subwoofers whether or not one particular configuration satisfies Clarity better than the other etc etc just for example here's one configuration with the subwoofers Midway to the sides... And then the other picture with the subwoofers in the front corners,... And then there's the equalization within the surround sound set up so many variables hours and hours of trial and errorIMG_20180125_004340993.jpg

Those auto EQ systems are designed to produce a flat(er) in room response at a reference level. Perhaps neither of you like that flat(er) in room response. As for me, the front channel settings of the auto Emo-Q on my surround processor (Emotiva UMC-200) come very close to what I have measured and set using REW, a DSP and a calibrated mic. I like the results and settings from both.

FWIW:
Currently, front speakers are Magnepan 1.7's bi-amped via an electronic crossover w/dual TL subs. Rear/surround speakers are Acoustat Model 1's bi-amped via an electronic crossover w/Acoustat SPW-1. I use a "phantom" center channel as I don't have the space for a center channel panel type/sized speaker. Both of the positions in my "sweet spot" IMO sound very good for music or movies. If I'm not in the sweet spot imaging and soundstage don't matter. Frequency balance does and I have that.

Last edited:
I found the EQ in my UMC-200 quite adequate also. I had not set up a REW but was ready too after doing a lot of reading over at another forum (HT ..Shack).
I have an MC-700 now in place of the 200 but the results are pretty much carbon copy.
I also have an Anti-mode 8033 in series with my sub. I calibrate that first (treating the 8033 as an integral part of the sub) then EQ the system. Always seems to work out fine that way.

Back
Top Bottom