Trouble with Sony EL-5 Elcaset

bishop144

Hello,

I recently got hold of a Sony EL-5 Elcaset deck. All things considered it is in excellent shape. No damage to casing, all the switches, dials, and lights work. Miraculously the belts seem to have been replaced recently as they are taught. I've also cleaned the head with some isopropyl alcohol.

But, I'm having trouble recording. Whenever I try to record to a blank Elcaset, the right channel is muffled, but not all the time. The muffled effect goes in and out. There will be patches of crystal clear audio, just like the left channel, then it will briefly become muffled on the right channel. I've changed cables, tried two amplifiers, and used the decks headphone output, but the muffling is there no matter where I send the signal off to. Also, the VU meters are slightly out of sync, the right doesn't go as high as the left unless I offset the recording volume with the right higher than the left.

However, it does not do this when I play my copy of Blue Wicked by Jeremy Heiden (The only pre-recorded Elcaset I know of.) Whenever I play that tape, it's as clear as day on both channels regardless of what amplifier is at the other end.

So, I'm trying to figure out what would be causing this. Any help would be appreciated!

(Sorry for the long post, just being thorough.)

Possibly a contaminated or worn head. Also check pressure pads, if any.
I don't think it's an issue with the head, as it plays the pre-recorded studio tape perfectly. Plus, I cleaned the head with isopropyl alcohol. And there are no pressure pads. But a good suggestion none the less

Last edited:
Hi there, open up the hood and look for the sliding mechanical device that switches the play and record function of the machine as this is a 2 heads unit. Spray some Deoxit or electronic contact cleaner into the switch then exercise the it 20-30 times by putting the unit in play and record back and forth but make sure you use a blank tape or a tape that you don't care for the content. Hopefully, this will get rid of the oxidation or dust that had built up over time.

Hope this helps and get back to us with the results.

Sorry, I was distracted with some thing else when I read this thread and the part that you already cleaned the switch just flew by without me registered it, lol. Anyhow, I was just spoke from my personal experience as I had the same thing happened to my cassette deck awhile ago and I did the exact same thing and it worked. I had to do it quite a few times to get it working properly though, maybe due to the amount of stuff that needed to be cleaned out. Your mileage may vary.

Guys. I am on the East Coast in New Jersey, near New York City. Does anyone know who repairs the SONY ELCASETS ? My EL-5 is perfect but will not rewind...Probably a Solenoid Switch,as all the belts were replaced recently. Thank you to anyone who can contribute >>>
Mike S>

Back
Top Bottom