Trouble, yes trouble right here.

Old Ears too

So today my wife went shopping and I took the opportunity to play my stereo a little louder than 'normal'. :rolleyes:
While playing my 707, I noticed that the right channel was not performing as well as usual. At first I thought the crossover in the Column II had finally given up the ghost. I shut things down about then as my wife got home. Now, later this afternoon, I'm watching TV and get the same symptom. So, I shut down and substitute a small Polk Audio speaker into the mix replacing the Column II's. Right channel is still not performing. Everything else is working fine as I'm using the 5-ch Stereo setting on the Denon AVR 1910 to watch TV, but the right front speaker is not putting out any sound.
Any ideas as to what the problem is?
I have to admit, the Denon has been doing yeoman duty the last couple of years since I use it every time I watch TV, which is most every day. I think I got it as a demo sale item from a shop that is connected with Best Buy out here in So Cal.
Any help will be appreciated.

Hmmm.... basic troubleshooting should find your issue but I suspect something is "grounding out" your signal .. be it the cable wires or a channel in the receiver for your T.V.

Also, check your inputs for the T.V. as these can sometimes mimic a line loss especially with the 5-ch setups.

I'm wondering if in my over enthusiastic use today, the speaker crossover may have gone south (they are original and I bought them new way back when) and in so doing may have over worked the receiver on that channel thus causing the problem.

Right channel (same) dead no matter the speaker?

Swap the LF RT speakers at Denon and if problem stays then look at getting a new Denon.

Barney

Yes, rt side is dead no matter which speaker, Column II or Polk, is hooked up to it.
(sigh)
I think you're right Barney, but I don't think I'll be going with a Denon this time.

Stuff breaks, the newer the sooner........

Heat is a BIG PROBLEM with the Surround Sound equipment so anything you get make sure it is adequately ventilated!

I like Denon and Yamaha just get one with a bigger hammer.....

Barney

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that pete.
I was using the 707 via the CD input on the Denon when the problem first appeared.
Now, on Sat/Cbl it is showing the same problem.
Is that what you mean by 'inputs'?

ok maybe try new cable or different source like laptop or something . does the amp not have rca inputs to try ? may be a faulty hdmi input .

Well some good news to report.
Switching to the cassette, putting the receiver in 'Stereo' mode and playing with the vol knob, it started to work again.
Seems maybe playing it up at -16.5db might have loosened up some 'crud' on the volume control or something like that.
The Polks are now working fine. I'll try switching back to the Column II's tomorrow and see what happens.
Thanks for the prodding Pete. You may have saved me from a shopping spree.

Hmmmmm.. ? I doubt it was "crud"... more likely you have a signal loss somewhere in the signal path of inputs.

Pretty sure this is what Pete was alluding to..

OK, thanks guys.
For what it's worth, things have settled down now. I had an unexpected power outage due to a fire nearby. They shut the power off when they had to spray the power lines which had some cypress in them that were on fire. I think that may have performed an unintended 'reset' of things as they are now operating normally once again. The only thing I have physically changed during this time is the speaker wires were hooked up to the Polks and now are back on the Column II's. The surround system is working like it was before when watching TV. The receiver shows Dolby D (HDMI/Sat) on the screen.
If it happens again, I'll try a different HDMI cable.
Thanks again for the help.

There is a total reset procedure for the Denon in the manual. I would try that if a channel goes out again.

It is asking a lot to if I understand correctly to operate 4 speakers (2 sets of Infinity's) on a budget AV receiver especially in '5 channel mode' and without a sub. My assumptions on your setup may well be wrong, but just putting it out there.:idea:

Back
Top Bottom