Troubleshooting Altec N8500-8A Crossovers..

Lazarus Long

Hello. I just acquired a pair of VOTT speakers. The crossovers are dead. N8500-8A. They are not producing any sound. Yes, I do have known working speakers that I tested with. Any help would be appreciated!

IMG_0477 (2).JPG

I'd measure the L-pads (mine were about useless until I cleaned them) and those caps are suspect at this point.

If they aren't producing anything out of any of the outputs, it's either multiple issues affecting all the parts of the circuit (such as a bad cap in the tweeter circuit AND an open inductor in the woofer circuit), or something that would just affect everything, like a loose wire, bad solder connection etc.

I'd check each part - ohm out the inductors and resistors, check the caps with a cap meter, etc.

If they aren't producing anything out of any of the outputs, it's either multiple issues affecting all the parts of the circuit (such as a bad cap in the tweeter circuit AND an open inductor in the woofer circuit), or something that would just affect everything, like a loose wire, bad solder connection etc.

I'd check each part - ohm out the inductors and resistors, check the caps with a cap meter, etc.

This was my thinking at first and why I created the thread. But, a thorough cleaning of the lpads brought them back to life. Maybe it was a combination of the lpad and the switch. Either way, it turned out to be a simple fix!

Back
Top Bottom