Well the bug has bit me and I am now an addict! Been wanting to finally put a system together and turned out my sansui au-717 was needing some repair to fix a dropped channel. Not wanting to trash it out led me here, and with the great help of some members it was decided that wasn't the best piece have as a first repair attempt. The sansui will get some much needed love in the next few months and in the meantime something else was just needed.... I picked up a nearly free fisher system yesterday! It included a ca-800 amp, st-290t turntable, fm 600 tuner, and a cr 124 tape deck. I wantes to be more careful with the the ca 800. I powered it up hooked up my phone to the aux inputs. Relay clicked and I noticed I only had a reading on the sweep on the right side. Time to play! I cleaned it up with deoxit in all the pots and did a quick visual inspection before firing it up. Turn it on after hooking my phone and a klipsch center speaker to the A channel on the ride side. Sound! Then like a dummy, I try the left side. The sweep jumps to full power and before I shut it down I smoked my speaker! Nice. I also noticed a slight puff of magic smoke rise from the vicinity of the power switch. Also blew the fuse on the left channel. Back to trouble shooting... I now looked a little harder for burnt areas on the board of the power switch and in the area I saw the smoke.