True-tone dinosaur

In the 1960's I was in highschool. A classmate's mother won a console colour TV in a contest. Might have been an Admiral and it had a round tube but the bezel was a straight line top and bottom. The sides were the full curvature of the tube.

A second on joining Videokarma regarding that set. TVs like that are their meat & potatoes or bread and butter or your choice of metaphors. It deserves preservation.

Every time I see an old set like this one I can't help thinking about the old ''Radiation King'' set on the Simpsons episode:rflmao:

I remember the Simpsons episode with the Radiation King TV's. Unfortunately radiation exposure was a problem with the early TV's. I remember seeing warnings on the high voltage rectifier tubes, specifically the earlier 1B3's.

Every time I see an old set like this one I can't help thinking about the old ''Radiation King'' set on the Simpsons episode:rflmao:
When I was a kid we had a 26" Packard Bell black and white tv. I sat right up close watching my Saturday morning cartoons. It was also my very first introduction to tubes. It lost horizontal control and my parents were slow to fix it since they both worked. So I called the repair man myself at age 8 or 9 and explained to him what it was doing and he told me it was the horizontal tube. I convinced my mother that was the problem and she came home with a new one.
I remember reading an old article about how 30" and larger B &W tv's were developed, but put out too much radiation for consumer use. I can't imagine it was very healthy for me sitting a couple feet from that 26" set. "Radiation King" would have been a good name for the thing.

Hope you don't get cancer of the face in your old age. Me too. :rflmao:

We had an old late 50s or early 60s Zenith, all metal cabinet that sat on a metal stand. When that set got pretty old (mid 70s), on a humid day you could feel a bit of a tingle if you touched the outside of the cabinet. Just a teeny bit of high voltage on the chassis... :eek:

My grandparents had a TV with a mirror on the lid that was used to watch TV. Although my memory is vague, I remember it looking something like this. It was used mostly for the Friday night fights.

I had two mirror sets, one an RCA TRK-12, the other I think that set, Stewart Warner? Unusual horizontal output ckt that used a quartet of 35 volt heater table radio output tubes, iirc.

That was a concern mainly with projection and color sets operating at ca 25kv. Steel shielding and leaded glass tubes managed it well enough.

Back
Top Bottom