Truly Rare - 1962 Fisher Broadcast Monitor

Cool story about Marantz, Fisherdude. I'd love to hear a playoff between the FM-1000 and the 10B :))

Mr. Moderator, could you please kill off this thread? The earlier one referred to below (that I missed when I started this one) will serve better.

Thanks!

Yes, same guy. He seems to be a smart dealer and knew what he was getting into and how to market it. He's doing either research or is working closely with the seller to deliver the right content and is showing how good photography plays a big part in boosting the price to a units max potential. Also, seems to know not to do a dump in the marketplace.

Yeah, that treasure trove was just a few miles from me in Charlotte, NC. Don't think I didn't consider going to the bank for a "business loan" (sure!), or tapping the house equity and changing careers. No nads I guess!

Probably would have only parted with it at gunpoint -- either held by my wife or the creditors.

Wow... on the other hand, I have no sense of whether this thing is rare and wonderful enough to justify that kind of price. I wouldn't guess 'no' wihtout some evidence of other sales.

This is kind of a "catch-22" situation, because it's so rare there are no previous sales to form a comparison.

Here's what I know, and I'm really not an expert on these...

This is the "commercial" version of the Fisher FM-1000 tuner. I have seen FM-1000's sell in the $1,500 range on more than one occaison.

The FM-1000 and FMR-1 are comparable in reception capability and build quality with the Marantz 10B, which was designed to compete in the same class as the FM-1000.

The 10B is more common ("common" being a relative term!) than the FM-1000, and the FMR-1 is the most rare of all. I've seen 10B's with nice cases sell for $2,500.

So, all things considered, I thought it was a very reasonable final price.

bought an fmr-1 two months ago on ebay germany, for 334 euro's.

it is currently in service, needs a lot of work to get it at optimum:

- mono- stereo relais had to be changed, a lot of capacitors, de-emphasis from 75 to 50 ums (europe), 2 tubes, cleaning audio level meter, 4 new output connections, something like a bridgecell (dont know in English), connect audiolevel meter (original was gone), tube feet possibly renew (bad connection), a lot of testing, removed filters in mpx (back in again, didn't look too nice on test equipment), some other small things.

will cost some money to get it playing..then 2025 dollar is not even the end..

it should replace my leak trough line + scott 335.

Back
Top Bottom