Trusting your teens with your Audio, and HT system

freQ(*)Oddio

When my son was in his early teens I explained safe and clean loud home theater and audio, then showed speaker distortion and over excursion, and "tried" to gain him some respect for my audio gear incase he used it, at least I felt better. Maybe he didn't listen. Boy lately I cringe watching some youtube videos, while looking for new equipment reviews, some videos show younger kids in a nice home, with no adults, blasting what looks to be their parents amazing systems to pieces with the bass turned up to pure distortion. kids are obsessed with subwoofers bouncing with distortion out the front of the cabinets with almost no crossover, Can u imagine coming home ready for a nice sound from your favorite album, little do you know your system had years taken off its life earlier that day, or maybe you hear a bad driver noise. hmmmmm that's strange I haven't been overdriving my speakers? This happens every day. bass and treble on 10, volume on 10, usb phone music signal on 30. probably good kids , just peer pressure and nature I guess. Makes my hair stand up to see this abuse lol

That's why I got my daughter a pair of overly sensitive (105db) high watt (400) Cerwin Vega's and a quiet Pioneer VSX-9700S receiver (0.005% THD @ S/N ratio 98bd) of 125 watts.....all of her own, not that she could ever blow up my set up either. But a speaker can only be over extended if it's over powered by the amp...... My only concern is her hearing because the neighbors say she plays it really LOUD when I'm not home. Good thing there is at least a hundred yards between homes where I live !

That's why I got my daughter a pair of overly sensitive (105db) high watt (400) Cerwin Vega's and a quiet Pioneer VSX-9700S receiver (0.005% THD @ S/N ratio 98bd) of 125 watts.....all of her own, not that she could ever blow up my set up either. But a speaker can only be over extended if it's over powered by the amp...... My only concern is her hearing because the neighbors say she plays it really LOUD when I'm not home. Good thing there is at least a hundred yards between homes where I live !
hahaha that's great!

Kids will be kids. I know I was. Played dad's system cranked when he wasn't home as often as I could. And hell yeah, I had the loudness ON and the bass jacked up. His Marantz 2220 didn't have a lot of power but the Cerwin Vega R24s still live today!

Anyone else in my house is terrified of my system. :D It really isn't that difficult to use (the most common question would be, "How do you work this thing??"), but I think they kind of have an idea that it might be a little on the expensive side (compared to a smartphone and $10 earbuds ;) ), and are afraid of breaking something. The cart and turntable are all I really worry about (getting a Dynavector XX2 retipped if it's snapped off isn't exactly pocket change). The tube amp just overloads gracefully, so I wouldn't be so worried about the speakers. My daughter doesn't yet have her own system, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

HT yes but not yet on my stereo gear. i will probably ween them into it with my tables with my cheaper carts and my SS gear, but not for quite a while if ever on my pricey MC's and tube gear. my 14 year old son tells me to turn the volume down so its not a volume issue with me i like to crank it

I just let my 19 and 21 year old sons use the gear. I get a kick out of hearing them playing my brothers LPs, on the Technics SL-QD2 turntable I bought in college, through the AR 2As my Dad bought when he was single.

My 16 year old son is allowed to use my main system but not the turntable. He has no interest in that anyway. He does have a wide ranging musical taste though. He loves rap but last night was listening to some 1940s swing. He knows not to crank the bass or volume like he does on his computer with sub woofer. He get's that thing thumping!

My wife doesn't touch my main system by choice. She knows I'm super protective of it. We have one in the bedroom that she uses and she loves her H/K bluetooth speaker too.

We have reduced H/T to sound bars and satellites so everybody uses those of course.

So I guess I may be young enough to say something on this lol. But when I was very small, maybe like 4 or 5, I wanted to use the big, loud speakers that my stepdad owned. He never let me touch his system at all, I understand why now. But we moved during the early 2000's to Florida and I was still young but also started using the internet a lot. I learned how to use all of his audio gear from the web. One day he came home to me listening to Hells Bells by AC/DC on his $10,000 system. He didn't turn it off but simply asked me why I had used his gear and how I knew how to use it. I told him I saw how he listened to music on his speakers and learned from the internet on how to use his turntable. He was blown away because I could tell him exactly how his system worked and how to hook up everything to listen to music or watch DVD's.

I never tried to use huge amounts of bass or anything since he never turned up the bass, but his speakers were enough for me and how he listened was fine for me too, so he let me use them when i wanted from there. I moved away at 14 but he gave me a pair of Bose 301's and an Onkyo integrated amp and I was hooked.

Now I am 24 and have my own system and I am about to inherit those speakers that got me into all of this. haha

Not all teens are bad, you just have to teach them how to respect and properly use audio gear that they are around.

On the same note, one day my younger brother thought it would be cool to turn my stepdads gear up to 11 and watch a movie, everyone in that apartment complex thought that a plane had crashed outside in the parking lot. xD

No way and he is 55. He has his own system at home and he doesn't trust me either. I want to say my sound is my second prized possession, but that won't work because no one owns my better half and the house is hers after all. My system just resides there at her discretion.

Both my Boyz(15yrs &17yrs) have Their Own Audio and Surround Sound Systems.........no real need to Use My Gear in the Living Room but I Trust them both if They do.

,Mike. :smoke:

At an early age my Dad told me that if I played with the thermostat for the furnace it could blow up. That worked for me and the furnace. We didn't get a decent stereo (console) until my later teens. I don't remember left home alone. My mom didn't work or drive. With a son of my own the volume knob got tweaked by my 3-4 year old. Scared us all. As a teen ager I had much bigger problems to worry about than him abusing my aging (and not very valuable) sound system

No one here to mess with my system, but I'm the one you'd be worried about anyway. I build cars and systems to run the wheels off, if it can't handle it then we need to look at why!!!

You really can't hear how loud the volume is in these vids but you can see the meters and the red power guards flashing. On the second vid I stopped it because things where falling off the furniture across the room and the third vid shows that. You can also see the sound waves pulsing and shaking everything.

Back
Top Bottom