Trying out DSL

Hey thoots - help an old man out here. I ran the speed test this morning from CNET and got 1385.4 kbps. I installed AnalogX NetStat Live and it shows incoming max 240.5KB.

Then I ran a test from Bandwidthplace.com ( which has a great results page ) it showed a raw data of 2356709.46 bits per second / 2.4 megabits per second /287.7 kilobytes per second. NetStat now shows a max of 316.4KB

So, what does all this mean? I've got good service and should shut up and not worry about this DSL/cable quandry? :confused:

Last edited:
Ward

I dont know much about these crazy puters but I know you got kick a*s speeds. Hell thats fast then a T1 line.

Dave

no way T1 lines are in the gigabyte speed thats why its around $1500 a month for a T1 line.

Cable or DSL all depends on your location and the providers, from some cable is the way to go and for others DSL is the way to go I am gonna find out which it is for me, especially since Verizon was nice enough to let me try for free :D

T1, T2, T3 lines
"A high-speed network link that transmits data at 1.5 Mbps... The T1 designation refers to the signalling speed rather than the medium of the network (copper, fiber). The European equivilent is E1, which transmits 2 Mbps of data. A T2 is a bundle of four T1s giving 6Mbps, used mainly by cellular phone companies. A T3 is faster than either a T1 or T2 line, transmitting data at 45 Mbps."-

I found T1's for 361.00 a month. Still cant compete with my cable which cosistantly Dl's at over a meg for 40 bucks

Mbps is Megabytes per second that is 1 million bytes, I serioulsy doubt you are getting DL's of 1meg, I think you mean 1.1 kpbs

Well I finally hooked up DSL today. Before I hooked it up I used the analog x proggie I got from thoots and went to my usual websites and then dled some winamp skins and then I went and checked the pings on 3 server I play counterstrike at.

This is what I had with cable:

Avg. Max
478B 93.6KB

Server 1

ping 164

Server 2

ping 162

Server 3

ping 118

With DSL

Avg. Max
8.5KB 94.7KB

Server 1

Server 2

Server 3

Well first impressions DSL is faster by how much I don't know I will use it a couple days and see. Be interesting to see if there is a slowdown between 5pm - 11pm like happens with cable nightly.

Also I will have to decide if the extra speed is worth the $10 extra per month? Also I have the deal with cable where I get digital cable with all the movie channels and cable internet for $99, how much will they charge me kust for all my channels and cable TV without the internet?

Well first things first any ideas on how to test this to see if it is significantly faster or what?

I have cable and am quite happy with it. We get cable TV and internet for around $65 a month.

As for speed, I have noticed it slows down around 10pm- midnight, but nothing awful.

Chris

hey thor you should not get any slow downs now. You speed will stay almost exactly the same all the time. That the nice thing about dsl.

In my case sometimes my cable speeds blew away the dsl's speed but the majority of the time dsl was faster. The important peak hours you'll notice no slow downs! ya hoo --

You could be paying $39.99 instead of $49.99 for the exact same dsl service. Here's how I mistakenly did that ...I had a couple computer settings wrong when I did the DSL self install so the speeds were really slow and erratic. I called verizon help line and told them I wanted to cancel their service because it is too much slower than road runner. They do not want to lose a customer! They would rather get a little less of your money than none of it. They immediately offered me a $10/month price cut off the original $49.99 fee. I didn't even have to ask! I agreed and then the customer service person went through my settings one by one and helped me optimize them for faster speeds.

It worked perfectly after we were done changing things around!

They'll run you through an ISP speed test and when it shows to be within exceptable DSL speeds they may tell you that's the best speed they can offer. If they don't offer the discount mention to them you're considering going back to RR!

Don

Thats funny I just did the same thing with my Cable TV. I Pissed casue the 12 month special price they gave me ran out and my bill jumped big time. I call them and said knock my cable down to the basic shannel. They were like WHY ! I said NFW am I paying that much to watch TV ! They said that they couldnt cancel it and that someone from the local office would call me back. I was the WTF ! so this guy calls me back and is all apologetic saying that he can give me the same price I had. I said just cancel the CRAP !
then hes like well ummm sir...How about I give you the silver package (includes HBO and Encore and a few others) again and give you the introductory price. I said HOW MUCH. He said the same price as Basic......:) :uzi: SO I got my premium channels for the price of basic cable. What the Moral..Aint no moral I am a JEW and proud of it :D

Dave

I don't have RR I have Adelphia :puke: but I already planned on trying to get Verizon to match cables price of 39.95. Right now the DSL deal is 1 month free, then 2 months at 29.95 then 4+ months it goes up to 49.95. We'll see how much faster it is before I make a commitment ;)

I'm not jewish but I do believe in getting my moneys worth.

time warner cable was getting about $90 each month of my money for TV and internet service.

Now they only get $7 / month. :uzi: :smsex:

THOR

I would pay the extra if I were you!

Check it - similar download speeds (oooaarr!) , AND you move from having a modem ping on the cs servers to having a sub-100 ping (which means you become an LPB online... Low Ping Bastard)

Just play a few more online games, and you'll feel what a 160ms to 60ms ping does!!

See when I first got cable I had sub 100 pings but as time has gone on its gotten worse, I remember I found a nice server that had good fellas playing CS on it and my ping was 60. I made it my home and played there exclusively and was asked to join the clan and got admin privs, then one day a few months later I got on an my ping is 90 and it has just gone up from there, server 1 is our match server and I used to ping like 50, now with cable 164, I have gained over 100 in less than a year.

The way things stand now unless I get the DSL price down and cable don't screw me in the price of keeping all my channels and not the net from them I will prolly have to return it and go with cable for now, until I get a full time job, then it would be coming back. But who knows we'll see.

Well I gotta say DSL is wayyyyy faster and more reliable for me. Sometimes I check the ping on a server in Gamespy and it says 160 ping but after I connect to it I have 50 ping, I played on a server with 30 ping yesterday :eek: Also no slowdowns during peak hours.

Also doesn't stop working during hot days and bad weather.

I also might know why cable has been bad lately, my ISP and cable company Adelphia just filed for bankruptcy. I guess they must not be able to keep everything updated and upgraded and running smooth if they can't even pay their bills!

Back
Top Bottom