trying to choose between a few power amps...

JPJ

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
trying to do the power on a budget, using mcintosh c2500 tube pre and some kef 107s
was wondering who's got an opinion on a Hafler DH 200 for $175 vs Hafler P225 for $175 or a Counterpoint SA-12 for $275

got a Mitsubishi da-a15dc for free from a friend, but it needs to be repaired. i think that's what i'm ultimately going to use, but want to get one of these as the repair shop says it will take a while to get to it. figured i could get one of these for temporary use and then resell when i get the mitsu, unless one of these sound better?

thanks.

I have a couple of the DA-A15DC amps and they are fautless in my opinion. Always trade offs and personnal sound preferences but they suit me to a 'T' Running one through Snell CV3 speakers and Klipsch KG-4 with all Mr. Crites upgrades...excellent. From another I run Dalquist DQ10 and Bic Venturi DV62SIB speakers (AMAZING little fellows) the Mitsys never let me down. Match it with the DA-M10 power meters and the DA-C20 tuner pre-amp and you have a very nice set up for not even $1000 if you shop wisely.

Reactions: JPJ
I have a couple of the DA-A15DC amps and they are fautless in my opinion. Always trade offs and personnal sound preferences but they suit me to a 'T' Running one through Snell CV3 speakers and Klipsch KG-4 with all Mr. Crites upgrades...excellent. From another I run Dalquist DQ10 and Bic Venturi DV62SIB speakers (AMAZING little fellows) the Mitsys never let me down. Match it with the DA-M10 power meters and the DA-C20 tuner pre-amp and you have a very nice set up for not even $1000 if you shop wisely.
nice, thanks for the input. i am looking forward to getting that one back, had a feeling it would be a keeper. will be on the lookout for one of the power meters.

The power meters range from $150 to $350 depending on how excitable the bidder gets...but they are worth it. Let me know if you get one because there is a very simple fix to an irritating problem they have...

finally heard back from the repair guy, cost to repair the mitsu is $485. no parts needed, just labor, recalibration, fixing distortion levels, not sure exactly what he said. is that worth it or do i buy something else for that $500?

He is overcharging...shop around. It's still worth hanging with but I would be expecting more around the $275 to $325 range...and I would expect some parts in there too...

Fully restored it would be worth around the $450 mark dependant on excellent visual appearance. So as it was free you are in there but I would interogate your AK friends here for a reliable repair shop within a 100 mile radius. I use one place in Lansing and one place in Grand rapids which are with a 125 mile radius and it is well worth it...

He is overcharging...shop around. It's still worth hanging with but I would be expecting more around the $275 to $325 range...and I would expect some parts in there too...

Fully restored it would be worth around the $450 mark dependant on excellent visual appearance. So as it was free you are in there but I would interogate your AK friends here for a reliable repair shop within a 100 mile radius. I use one place in Lansing and one place in Grand rapids which are with a 125 mile radius and it is well worth it...
makes sense, thanks. maybe worth mentioning i’m already in $99 for the diagnostic fee, which would be applied to the repair cost.

I smell smoke from a distinctly southery direction!!!!...how long is his quote valid for?

Final question, you say it needs repaired...what are the apparent faults?

I smell smoke from a distinctly southery direction!!!!...how long is his quote valid for?

Final question, you say it needs repaired...what are the apparent faults?
thats the way this guy works for everything, you pay $99 when you drop it off so he doesn't waste his time diagnosing a problem just to have someone say forget it i guess. i can see why he is set up like that. anyway, the faults were one channel didn't play, apparently it was several bad connections. price seemed high, but i ended up just paying because i just wanted to get the amp plugged in and start listening.

going to start a thread in the solid state forum, or whichever seems appropriate because i have some questions about the amp now.

thanks.

Back
Top Bottom