Trying to decide IL30 or CS3008

LAD

After years of travelling and health problems I am getting back into my audio hobby. I am currently building a modest system and have found two sets of Infinity speakers I am interested in. Interlude IL30 and Crescendo CS3008. The crescendos need a refoam on a couple of the mids which I don't think is a big deal, but the asking price is 100.00 higher than the IL30's. I have owned Kappa 6's (my second favorite speakers all time) and RS5b's, which I also like quite a bit. I have never heard either of these. Because I have to drive a couple hours in opposite directions to audition I am trying to focus on one or the other. Any opinions or experience would be appreciated.

I've owned the IL30, CS 3007 & CS 3009's. The CS 3008 I've read about and it's supposed to be the sweet one in the line. If it were me, no question the 3008's would be my choice. The 30's aren't bad and probably easier to power but that Emit-R is sweet, at least to me. The footprint is about the same.

Welcome to AK and whatever your choice good luck :thumbsup:.

Hey there - so as usually happens things have changed. Now have a line on some RS3b's needing refoam but all drivers are said to work. Price is good I think they are my first choice. Never refoamed speakers but I have rebuilt vintage tube amps so I think I can handle it. Hope it works out. There are also two sets of Kappa 8's available that have been refoamed but much more money, maybe more than i am willing to spend because I am pretty certain I will need an am upgrade for those. It's funny two weeks ago nothing and now speakers everywhere lol.

The Kappa 8's are way up in the chain compared to what your looking at, fantastic speakers. If your doing 2 channel forget a tube amp for those. Budget wise the only thing that's going to really make them sing is something like a QSC GX5 or a newer Crown like the 1502 would do very well.

The GX5 can be had on the auction site for $250 or so. The only issue I had was fan noise, I installed a switch voiding the warranty as where the Crown is dead quite.

Still I think the 3008's would be a fine choice, the RS3B's are getting pretty long in the tooth and along with the refoam may be getting close to needing a re-cap. Of course that's just mho. Good luck with whatever you do.

Thanks for the input. I bought the RS3B's. The Crescendo's were too far a drive. I would have forked over the cash for the Kappa 8's but the polydomes weren't original and one of the polygraph's had a dent in it. Just pulled the woofers for a refoam job. The cloth or foam around the emit's and polydomes is missing and I'm trying to figure out the best way to clean the residue. Cabinets are in decent condition no damage and can easily be brought to what I would consider good condition. My next project will be an amp upgrade and then maybe some Kappa's or who knows.

I'm very happy the whole project will top out at the mid 200's price point and some of my time. Just what i was looking for right now.

Back
Top Bottom