Trying to decide what to keep

crassmage

Hi, first post. New to this whole thing.. Anyways I have a receiver decision and a speaker decision I could use some help with. Trying to find options on which to keep. I have listened to most combinations of these and have just gotten more confused. Anyways I have tested all with various types of music from my tt(early 80s Sony) some combos where way off from others. But need to cut some stuff loose as I have more than I need.

Receivers:
Pioneer sx-450
Toshiba sa-2500
Heathkit ar29

Speakers:
Polk monitor 7c(1981ish)
Pioneer cs-g911
Bic venturi formula 4
Baby advent ii

Not the fanciest gear but all working and paid for!

Adequate sized basement playing mostly rock/punk music at an average level(have kids) Opinions? Thanks! This forum is great btw

Welcome
Not familiar with any of your gear but keep two of each that you like the most.
You always need a back up

Ok thanks for the reply. Was just wondering out of my options which ones were most valuable/desired if at all

I'd keep the Heathkit (classic big 'ol USA hunk of metal with individual circuit boards and all discrete stage amplification) and the Polk 7's (from when Polk was a genuine engineering brand owned by its founder and on the brink of revolutionizing speaker design in the '80s with their Stereo Dimensional Array line).

Polk monitor 7's for sure, and whatever recirece has the most power and sounds good. Power is your friend!

From the list you posted, it no brainer to keep the Polk Monitor 7 speakers, I have heard the Pioneer sx-450, but at 15 watts per channel not really enough to power the Polk speakers. The Toshiba is rated around 30 watts per channel into an 8 ohm load. The Heathkit ar-29 is 35 watts per channel according to Radiomuseum, which of those last two sounds the best? Could you mention where you are located?

Last edited:
Reason I asked where you are located, I would appreciate a few local audio buddies. But even if you are not close, there will likely be other Audiokarma members in your area. They might even be willing to part with some of their gear for less than the current price, just to help a fellow member. If you gain trust, someone might even loan some equipment to you to try out for a time. You mentioned that you were "new to this whole thing". No problem there, I am over 60 but still gaining valuable information from other members who post about their experiences. Have you decided on what you want to keep?

Back
Top Bottom