trying to idiot-proof my MacMini music server setup

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by RShackleford, Mar 26, 2018.

1. elcoholic

elcoholic AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks for the clarification. My 160 gB lives in my car’s glove box too. The 80 gB is used as a portable.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Texun1

Texun1 Well-Known Member

If you buy a good high speed card then speed will not be an issue. Mine is as quick or quicker than with the hard drive. Reloading all of my files to the card from the computer for the initial download took a while but that was a pretty good size download.

elcoholic likes this.
  3. RShackleford

RShackleford Active Member

It's me again. My setup is pretty stable now ... unless I try to run BitPerfect. Then it tends to hang overnight. I have to Force Quit iTunes. Apparently this is a somewhat known problem: http://bitperfectsound.blogspot.com/2017/10/itunes-1270-crashing.html Or maybe not, because I'm running ElCapitan and iTunes 12.2. At any rate, BitPerfect appears to be my culprit.

I guess I'll have to abandon BitPerfect for now. I might switch to VLC, but I have no idea of the bit-perfectness of its output.

awillia6 likes this.
  4. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

How's your remote screen control working out? Also, how do you rip CDs into the iTunes library remotely?

5. elcoholic

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how this sorted out. I have found no way to have a persistent WiFi connection for the A+ Remote app. I just have gotten used to rebooting the mini and renewing the lease on my phone. It’s not ideal but the Audirvana SQ makes the inconvenience minor.

6. RShackleford

Mostly using Finder-sidebar screen-sharing (from OSX laptop) and it's working fine. iTunes remote from iPad seems pretty reliable too. If iTunes has hung (apparently due to interaction with BitPerfect as I describe above), neither connects, of course.

My Mini has an optical drive, which I use to rip CDs into iTunes. Works just fine with Finder-sidebar screen-sharing.

awillia6 likes this.

7. RShackleford

I've thought of connecting the Mini to the same switched outlets that my power amps (tube monoblocks) are on; set to automagically reboot after a "power failure". So when I switch on the system, the Mini reboots. That would circumvent my issue with BitPerfect/iTunes hanging, because it doesn't seem to happen WHILE I'm listening to music (again, a bit like the link I posted about BitPerfect hanging). It makes me a bit nervous to repeatedly shutdown the Mini by simply cutting power to it (when I switch the system off) but maybe it's ok.

8. RShackleford

So I kinda gave up on this for awhile, but the fact is, my system has been extremely stable for the last couple months. I'm convinced more than ever that BitPerfect is the culprit.

awillia6 likes this.
  9. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

Good to hear you're running smoothly and reliably.

AirPlay 2 and a stereo HomePod pair finally pushed me to snag a Mac mini (2012 i7 quad-core 16GB/500GB SSD) and scrap my 2004 Dell PC on Windows XP and running an ancient iTunes 12.1.3 server. I LOVE having my iTunes library on the SSD under macOS so I can have Time Machine doing hourly backups to one of my Time Capsules with periodic library clones to my RAIDed NAS (can you tell I'm not really interested in ripping my CDs again, EVER!?!?). I found a pair of SuperDrives so have both connected to support dual rips (helps to free me up during extended rip sessions).

At the same time, I nailed a pair of ATV4K/32G units and use one of them to feed my TV with 4K Netflix content and to access my iTunes music library for AirPlay 2 to the stereo HomePod pair. I must say, I'm in hate with the ATV4K's remote, and I've found the unit's inexplicable inability to find and bolt up to my iTunes library over my wired Gigabit Ethernet to be frustrating in the extreme. Once connected however, the link is solid as a rock (no audio dropouts, crappy remote always "works", excellent TV picture), but I often have to reboot the unit at first to get it to "see" the Mac mini's library. The other fly in the ointment is Apple's failure (to date) to provide macOS devices (10.13.6) with AirPlay 2 support of stereo-paired HomePods (only IOS and tvOS support the configuration at present).

Any suggestions on where to go from here or have I checked all(/most) of the important boxes?

Thanks for posting your Mac mini saga; it really helped me to move confidently and quickly when the need arose.

elcoholic likes this.
  10. elcoholic

Cool. It’s good to have answers even if it’s not what you want to hear. I ditched the cable router and bought a kickass ASUS RT-5300AC router. My Audirvana remote app issues are resolved. I’m controlling either my MBP or MacMini from pretty much anywhere in the house or pool side. Still have to reboot sometimes, but I can live with it.

awillia6 likes this.
  11. RShackleford

Sorry, not really, You are much more into interconnecting a bunch of stuff, easy backups, etc. I just want it to work in my listening room, nothing networked or anything.

I agree the ATV4K remote sucks, but simply for its physical design. When you are holding it in your hand, you have no clue if it's pointing towards, or away from, the ATV4K itself (since the shape is totally symmetric). Many times I've found myself wondering why things are working right, then to see it's pointing the wrong way. This from the company that prides itself, usually justifiably, on great ergonomic design ?