Trying to measure twice and buy once - Advice on preamps, please.

jhm2007

Hello All,
So I have been googling and reading until my head hurts, I want to purchase a new preamp; and don't have the budget to make the wrong choice. (hence I seek your help).

OK, So about me, my current system is, from source to sound: a Rega P5 (modded - groovetracer subplatter, TTPSU, feet, weight, achromat..) Also, a Marantz SA8004 SACD player (so both digital and analog sources), into a Hafler DH110 Preamp, to a Hafler DH500 power amp. audioquest interconnects and speaker wire to B&W Nautilus 804 speakers.

My Hafler DH500 is working great, but the DH110 is dying. So I am looking for an UNBALANCED preamp, with remote to replace it.

I have read about NAD C 165BEE, Vincent Audio SA-31MK, Parasound 2100, C.I. Audio PLC-1, Emotiva PT-100, Schitt Saga, and Audio by Van Alstine, and Rogue.

So I am for some real world advice on the best long term match for my hafler (etc).

And Please, any other options or recommendations are welcome.

Last edited:
I have a Schiit Freya, it's a lovely sounding preamp, and I like having a remote. It's nice to have the option to run passive, JFET buffer, or tube gain stage too. But you will need a phono stage with either the Saga or Freya, some added expense there.

The Rogue pres are a bit more expensive than most of your list, but I've really liked the Rogue gear I've heard. And they have an MM/MC phono stage.

Van Alstine Transcendence 10 can be optioned with the phono stage and remote, gets pretty close to the price of a Rogue RB1. I don't think you could really go wrong with any of them, kinda depends if you want on onboard phono stage. I don't have experience with any of your other options. Have a local hi-fi shop? I know Schiit offers a 15 day trial period, so you can at least try one out.

I'm a Hafler fan, but I let those pieces get away over the years. If you use the tape loops for anything, they are going to be hard to replace in new stuff.
Have you made a detailed list of what you want to connect NOW and in the future? Do you want a good phono preamp in the preamp itself or are you going with an outboard? One preamp you might look at (it's often overlooked) is a used Rotel RC-1580. It has been replaced by the 1590, but it's not the same. The 1580 hit a sweet spot and you'll find some stuff on the web about it. I'm currently looking for one myself to replace a failing McIntosh on my second system.
Anyway, good luck with your search as most preamps today ain't what they used to be.

Back
Top Bottom