Trying to remember a 1950's horror movie

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
There was a horror movie that was shown in the 1950's that featured at the beginning of the movie a serious looking commentator warning people with heart conditions they should not view this movie and to anyone else that has problems there are nurses in the lobby, they may have even had a ambulance standing by. I remember and interview about this movie with the producer who was still alive at the time and he said it was all a gimmick to get people in the door.

You may also be thinking of Mr. Sardonicus, which was another one of William Castle's films. It also came with the same warning but was released in the early 60's.

It creeped the crap out of me as a kid seeing it in the theater. :yikes:

I love Castle's films. House On Haunted Hill is an absolute gem.

I agree - it was the only film that was even halfway scary on the Friday Night Creature Feature when I was a kid in the 60's. Always thought it was pretty well done.

The Tingler scared me so bad that I spent the majority of the movie standing up by the candy counter. The part where it crossed in front of the projector in the movie theater was the last straw for me. After that, I never went back in the theater.

I remember at the time being so frightened by just the teasers that I would hide under the theater seats, yes in 1958 I was small enough to do that. There is one in particular that utterly terrified me. The only thing I can remember about it was a lady is awakened in the middle of the night walks to the head of a set of stairs looks down and screams, I was under the seat by than. I have been trying to figure out what that movie was I would love to watch it.

I agree - it was the only film that was even halfway scary on the Friday Night Creature Feature when I was a kid in the 60's. Always thought it was pretty well done.

Friday Night "Creature Features" ... did you happen to in or near Chicago in the Sixties?

Friday Night "Creature Features" ... did you happen to in or near Chicago in the Sixties?

I was in Mishawaka, IN and was watching the South Bend channels. WSJV TV channel 28 had a Creature Feature on Friday nights- I'm pretty sure it was a local production, but maybe not. They had the usual monster/horror movies of the time - I remember "Monolith Monsters" and "The Blob", as well as "House on Haunted Hill". Most of the movies were more humorous/ridiculous than scary, but "House" was an exception.

I still like Monolith Monsters. They were pieces of an asteroid that reacted with fresh water...and salt water..... I'm a special effects fanboy and the effects of the towering monoliths growing, and falling down on top of the farm house is still really well done. Directed by Jack Arnold, of Creature from the Black Lagoon fame.

I have the Tingler on DVD, had to get it so my daughter could see it. I need to see the Monolith Monsters again, probably been 50 years! The guy in Sardonicus- I can't remember his name, but he had a face. I know I'm geezin', but they don't make movies like that anymore.

I love Castle's films. House On Haunted Hill is an absolute gem, as are several others. I well remember The Tingler and 13 Ghosts, too.

I remember House on Haunted Hill. When you watch it now on TV, there is a scene where the skeleton comes out of the acid pit and goes off screen. Then Vincent Price is walking around with this contraption with ropes on it and spooky dramatic music is playing and you wonder WTF? In the movies, this is where the lit up skeleton figure comes out from behind some curtains and goes out over the audience on tracks, being 'guided' by Price on screen.

One thing I love about this movie are the parts where Elisha Cook steals scenes from Vincent Price. In a horror movie!

I remember House on Haunted Hill. When you watch it now on TV, there is a scene where the skeleton comes out of the acid pit and goes off screen. Then Vincent Price is walking around with this contraption with ropes on it and spooky dramatic music is playing and you wonder WTF? In the movies, this is where the lit up skeleton figure comes out from behind some curtains and goes out over the audience on tracks, being 'guided' by Price on screen.

One thing I love about this movie are the parts where Elisha Cook steals scenes from Vincent Price. In a horror movie!

Elisha Cook, one of our own: a good Chicago-raised boy. He was as well a "scene stealer" (as "Wilmer"), and this in the company of Lorre (himself a scene stealer) and Bogart, in Maltese Falcon. Also did a helluva good job in The Big Sleep (stealing from Bogey redux), One-Eyed Jacks, and Shane. Thanks for reminding me about his role @ The House On Haunted Hill. Cook: a small man with a huge presence.

Back
Top Bottom