TT HUM!!! Please HELP!!!

technicoler

Hi there,

Sorry to be overdramatic, but this is driving me insane haha. I had purchased an old RCA console for my home, because the turn table still functioned and pretty much all I listen to are records. After a few months of use the turntable stopped spinning properly and since it is so large and old I have yet to try and get it serviced. So, I figured I still had my Audio Technica LP120 usb turntable to use and thus I bought a vintage Pioneer SX-525 receiver. Got everything hooked up, dropped the needle, and then HUMMMMMMMM/BUZZZZZ. I have tried everything I can think of and any help in this matter would be most appreciated!

Here is an overview of the setup and the troubleshooting I have done, as from what I have read I seem to have a grounding issue but am open to other suggestions.

The turntable and receiver are on the same shelf but separated by a couple inch partition in the center, and unfortunately the only way to reach the RCA connections is to extend them, which I have. Now I know that isn't helping and I have tested it connecting directly from TT to receiver, and it reduces the amount of hum/buzz but does not eliminate it. The units are powered from a single outlet via a 3 input extension cord. I have tried other outlets, extension cords, and power strips. No change. The TT has a built in preamp, but when I plug it into the AUX channel it is audible but toooo quiet to be comfortably listenable. It also has no ground wire as that is apparently built in as well (from the cartridge through the arm) and I have checked those connections and all seems fine. The receiver does have a ground screw and I have tried attaching a wire from it to the TT and held it against every part of it. No change. I have even gone as far as to hook up a more modern receiver to the TT and the hum/buzz remains. I am running out of ideas as to what could solve this issue and any help/suggestions would be MOST appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

That is an issue I am dealing with. The receiver has almost no space between the phono ports so I can only use the set I have that fits. What did RCA cables used to look like in the 70s? Because I have like 10 sets of RCA cables all in different forms and quality, but only this one set fits because the housing around them is the most petite. Either way, thanks for the reply! I ordered some that hopefully will be better quality and also fit haha.

Back
Top Bottom