TT Noob Question

Hirschp1

Hi all, I am, admittedly, a complete noob when it comes to TTs. Regardless of that though, I have the desire to see what the fuss is about, but not the budget currently to embark on a Rega or similar quality endeavour.

However, I found this Realistic / BSR LAB-110 in my basement... I acquired it years ago in a package deal and forgot about it.
IMG_20170917_153706.jpg IMG_20170917_153726.jpg

This thing was COVERED in dust, the plastic cover is still intact and did its job mostly, but I know that it wasn't 100% effective, there's just no way it was. I am unsure of how sensitive a TT like this would be to adverse conditions like 60 year old lath/plaster dust and debris. Should I take it apart and clean it before trying to fire it up?

Yah, I realize as I am typing this is probably a dumb question, but I really don't know so please bear with my ignorance, I'd rather ask than whish I had.

I would remove the platter to make sure there is no dust or debris and then turn it on to see if the motor is running.

Take a photo of the turntable with the platter off so that we can see its guts.

It *may* be capable, once ressurrected, of showing you 'what the fuss is all about'. I'm not sure. BSR is kind of a borderline company when it comes to that, though this was one of their higher end offerings. I would concur with Malden...let's see what kind of drive it has...if it's a belt drive, it may be worth getting up and running and be fairly serviceable.

Thank you DustyOldPile & malden, I will take the platter off tonight when I get home, snap some pics, and post them here.

I am encouraged that there *may* be a chance this thing could be serviceable, even if it's a long shot it at least beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

Kind of coincidental, wanting to play records and already having a turntable. I would say you owe it the chance to do it's thing again - it's fate.

Says "Automatic" on the front so there will be mechanism to some degree. It might function at the get go but if not, don't be intimidated if you need to disconnect a thing or two to clean & lube.

Start thinking about what LP you are going to play first.

62vauxhall - I agree, I'm thinking if it has any life in it I'll find it! And thank you for the heads up on the 'what are you going to play first on it' concept... truly hadn't gotten that far in my imagination yet, was still hing up on the mechanical concerns, but I WILL think about it now, Thank you!

"Ok, so when it was posed that I should "remove the platter" I assumed it was no big deal, like just lift it up, or maybe there is a set screw in the center that has to be removed, then just lift it up... yah ... bout that... it was a poor assumption on my part! Not to be deterred though - I did take it apart as best as I saw could be easily accomplished, and the pics are here:
IMG_20170918_173018.jpg
IMG_20170918_172852.jpg

If there is an easy way to take the platter off I am all ears! But, in the mean time I can confirm that when powered on it does make some less-than-flattering clanking sounds, but does spin I haven't gotten any further in testing yet, my preamp won't arrive for a couple of days and I'm pretty sure I don't want to just straight jack these RCAs into my amplifier and "let-er-rip!"

So, while I await the arrival of the preamp and ponder the fact that all of the sudden I am faced with needing to purchase a vinyl record (I have never before had the occasion to need to), is there any type of lube I should avoid using on all those moving arms after I tackle some general 90% isopropyl swabbing and wiping up of the dust and cobwebs?

Get a thin edge screwdriver or knife blade and pry up the center silver disc. Try not to bend it.

Under that, there should be a c-clip (a.k.a. a circlip). Remove the circlip and the platter should come up.

Looks like a later (for BSR) idler drive from the underside. The good news is that those had more flexibility (in terms of cartridge choices and arm) than the older ones.

Bangsemax - I am ready and willing to pry, pull c-clips, de-solder, grind, chisel, you name it I can probably do it, but for the life of me I am not sure i should try prying ther in the middle on this one. Do I need to lift off the rubber stuff first? I can, and if you say to I will, it is just that the rubber stuff feels like it is glued in my best estimation/perception of how it resists being tuggged up at all.
IMG_20170918_213650.jpg
IMG_20170918_213707.jpg

Remove the center spindle first. Tug on it with a pair of pliers and it should pull out. That gains you easier access to pry up the silver disc from the center, and thenceforth the C-clip securing the platter underneath.

That silver disc in the center sure looks like it is held in place by the black mat. Try gently prying it out.

Thank you - I am just checking back to let you know that the center pin did indeed pull out as soon as I quit pussy footing around and used a piece of leather and a real pair of pliers!

Also found a cool little surprise,
IMG_20170918_221514.jpg

Now, I want to double check with y'all before I bend the crap out of this center disc, cause it feels like if I pull too hard it will just "crease"
IMG_20170918_221929.jpg

Please confirm if either (A) I'm being a pussy and need to just STFU and pull on the damned thing, or (B) I might want to remove the rubber stuff first?
IMG_20170918_221623.jpg

That silver center disk is held in place by those three little tabs of the black platter mat. Try to get under it around the perimeter. Gently work the skinniest screw-driver, or better yet, a razor blade, X-acto knife or something equally thin and stiff.

Now that I have it apart I am not sure exactly what all we're looking at here, should I clean/lube all these parts that look like they move?

First thing would be to see if the motor spindle spins when powered on.

2) clean the edge of the rubber idler wheel with a q-tip dipped in alcohol.

3) clean the motor spindle as above

4) clean the inner rim of the platter,(where the idler rides) with a rag dipped in alcohol.

5) replace platter and power it on

Last edited:
Thank you Malden - you're breaking it down in a way I can easily follow!

#1 is affirmative, the spindle spins when plugged in, numbers 2-5 are going to have to wait until tomorrow - its getting to be bed time for me, the alarm is still gonna go off at 5.

A kind thank you to everyone who has contributed, I do appreciate each of you taking the time!

:thumbsup:

There may be problems lurking but getting the platter to spin should be the first order of business.

I'm a fan of idler drive turntables. This one has the potential to be pretty good.

I like using Brasso to polish the drive pulley (the thing attached to the motor that drives the idler tire).

Put some Brasso on a Q-Tip a polish the pulley while it's spinning (avoid getting it on the rubber wheel) and then remove the polish with an alcohol-dipped Q-Tip until it's clean.

Aside from the motor spindle and idler wheel, which obviously should not be lubricated... when it comes to the rest of the mechanism, follow this simple rule: If it spins, oil it. If it slides, grease it.

Back
Top Bottom