TU-717... and some interesting extras...

joelll

20 years on AK!
Subscriber
I followed a link posted in this forum by Army (thanks! I never would have found this on my own!):

Just cruising thru craigslist and saw this. http://boston.craigslist.org/ele/30072829.html
Don't know if the guy still has it ? It was dated April 30 don't know how I missed this. But if he does someone should snag this. He also has a Pioneer Spec 4 amp for $10 that needs repair. and a few other toys.
Just thought I'd throw this out there. I have nothing to do with this sale. Hope an AKer can get a bargan.

I contacted the seller, who lives pretty close to me. He was a very nice gentleman, we talked a lot about all kinds of audio and non-audio-related things while testing the gear.

The TU-717 tested out well, and I bought it for the asking price of $125. He also had an Adcom GFP-1A pre-amp that I picked up for his listed $75, which will act as a stand-in in my father's system while I send dad's Dynaco PAS-3 in for repairs. The seller was obviously very happy that someone who cares was taking this gear, and he threw in a few extras... a working Nakamichi 581 cassette deck (lovely sound!) and the above-mentioned SPEC-4 amplifier.

Ooof! The tuner, pre-amp and tape deck combined weigh less than the SPEC-4's 54 pounds. This power amp has led a tough life. The case is battered and paint scratched, the feet are gone and one rear-panel foot is broken, there are gouges in the front panel and a level knob is a bit loose, one speaker terminal is busted and the input terminals are broken from their mount. There's no sound output at all, though all the fuses are intact. I'm hoping a repair shop will be able to bring this beast back to life.

The TU-717 (serial #218030863) went straight into my bedroom system, replacing an ailing Mitsubishi DA-F20, and it sounds very, very good, though it's having a spot of trouble pulling in a few stations that I'd expect it to have no problems with (and that the DA-F20 could get with the same antenna); this may imply that it needs an alignment, or perhaps a better antenna.

Last edited:
Originally posted by joelll
<<snip>>

The TU-717 (serial #218030863) went straight into my bedroom system, replacing an ailing Mitsubishi DA-F20,

<<snip>>

**grumble grumble ** - got to find a way to get people to post these Sansui serial numbers in the [Sansui Database Forum thread] **grumble grumble **

Paul

PS: Got the TU-717 s/n saved :D Thanks

Re: Re: TU-717... and some interesting extras...

Originally posted by Morden2004
**grumble grumble ** - got to find a way to get people to post these Sansui serial numbers in the [Sansui Database Forum thread] **grumble grumble **

Paul

PS: Got the TU-717 s/n saved :D Thanks

I've posted my other Sansui serial numbers there before, and I was going to add to the thread last night, but I was up past my bedtime and exhausted from hauling around that millstone of a Pioneer power amp... Thanks for catching the number from this posting, and thanks for the service overall!

I just needed to vent a bit this morning - I can't find my concrete contractor :mad: who was supposed to do my footings last week.

As my brother-in-law says. "... just get used to it". :D

Paul

Hey Joelll

Sounds like a pretty cool score.
Glad it worked out for ya. Wasn't sure if anyone was reading and reacting to my posts. I would have jumped on it myself but the funds weren't there. You are the first that has said anything. So I'll keep putting the finds out when I can.
Gotta keep the goodies in the AKer family don't ya know:cool:
Regards
Army

Army,

You're gonna make it tough on me if the good deals are near where I live...

Really, I should generate a few good deals myself and sell off some of the piles of equipment I have (vintage audio and old computer stuff).

Incidentally, I brought the SPEC-4 in for repair, and a shop that I trust took it in, but I have to wait two weeks before their tech gets back and can take a look at it. Hopefully repairs will be relatively cheap, it looks like these amps are going (relatively) cheap on the Bay, in much better condition.

The TU-717 sounds better and better every time I listen to it. On stations that don't use compression (yay college radio!) the sound quality is truly excellent.

Back
Top Bottom