Tu 909

c3conv

Found this TU 909 model tuner in a thrift shop. Do you have any experience on how it sound? Can it be as good as those of the 70's and the 80's? Is this the top of the line for that era?

You sure on that model number. Maybe its a TU-999,919,9900 ?

Grumpy

I am sure its a 909 but whether its a T or a TU, I am not sure. I guess it's a newer model as there are four squarish glass or acrylic lever that serves as buttons. The seperate integrated amp has those same lever. Can these be models that were not sold in the U.S. ?

c3conv:

I dont personally own every model that Sansui ever made so I cant provide you with specific details on the T-909's sound quality. However, I am inclined to think that the tuner should be able to do its task of receiving stations without any problems and it should sound ok. With the heavy-handed use of compression on broadcast radio signals, you would be hard-pressed to get the same sound quality as if you were listening to the actual cd of the music itself, so I dont see the need to get too overly concerned about its sound quality. Sansui tuners have a very good reputation, so I doubt anyone who bought one would go too far wrong. The best 80's Sansui tuners were the ones that were the matching tuners for their corresponding top of the line integrated amps, the TU-S9 which was the matching tuner to the AU-D11, for example.

As for the amp, I have already explained what the A models are about in previous posts- that they were intended to be used in combo rack systems.

If you are looking for a very good tuner at a price thats too good to pass up, here is one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3046616590&category=3282

B/F

Found another tuner a TU S7 at about the same price of the TU 909. Which should be a better tuner?

Thanks. I just found out that the tuner does not lock or the search just continued without stopping and locking in the next staion. Is the parts for this deficiency readilly available. He wants to sell it as is.

Back
Top Bottom