tube amp/subwoofer question...

jonm

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi, I've wondered if a powered sub would help my el-84 amp by doing the heavy lifting (if you will) of the woofers which would allow the amp to put more of it's power to the midrange/tweeter... thoughts? This has bugged me for a while, it seems to make sense, but...?

Most assuredly! I have an AR sub in the living room connected to a marantz 1060 with cerwin Vega vs-120's, you should hear &feel it. You'd never know it's only 30 watts per side.
Most of an amp's power is used at the low freqs, free that up & it's like coasting in a tailwind. Try it, you'll like it!:rockon:

The Oppo universal players (e.g., UDP-205, BDP-105, BDP-95) feature "bass management" - i.e., a built-in crossover, and a connection for a powered subwoofer. With Oppo's bass management, the low frequencies are off-loaded from the main amp and speakers, thereby facilitating greater overall dynamics.

The UDP-205 will play (almost) all digital audio and video formats: UHD, Blu-ray, Pure Audio Blu-ray, SACD, hi-res FLAC downloads, hi-res DSD downloads, CD, DVD, etc. The Oppo’s variable output can directly drive power amps, in addition to integrated amps and preamps. (An Oppo effectively adds a remote volume control to vintage amps.) I drive vintage tube power amps with my UDP-205 (and BDP-105 and BDP-95) – i.e., no pre-amp. Stereo and multi-channel.

However … subwoofers can be a PITA, because audio recordings and movies are not consistent in bass content. (I dislike intense LFE in movies. I have no interest in recreating the rumbling of an earthquake in my listening room; I don’t want to be assaulted by my hi-fi system.) Because of the wide variance in bass content in music and movies, my opinion is that a remote control is an essential feature for a subwoofer.

Nonetheless, I have subwoofers in 3 of my systems, because one of the things that strikes me when I attend the symphony is the power of the low frequencies. Subwoofers help to deliver the dynamic impact of a recording of large-scale orchestral music.

However … subwoofers can be a PITA, because audio recordings and movies are not consistent in bass content. (I dislike intense LFE in movies. I have no interest in recreating the rumbling of an earthquake in my listening room; I don’t want to be assaulted by my hi-fi system.) Because of the wide variance in bass content in music and movies, my opinion is that a remote control is an essential feature for a subwoofer.
I agree:beerchug:

Thanks for the responses... it seems to help, I keep the sub on very low (and subtle...):music:

Back
Top Bottom